Loft Conversion: RSJ, Joist Hangers, attaching rsj to Gable

Old July 11th 05, 05:14 PM
Junior Member

Default Loft Conversion: RSJ, Joist Hangers, attaching rsj to Gable

Hi,

I want to get cracking on a loft conversion on a bungalow and would like some help in understanding the particulars of the materials I'll be needing.

I have a lot of internal solid walls and plan to place RSJs from the gable to the internal walls and suspend floor joists from them. I understand that to do this I need joist hangers, I've never used a joist hanger, do they differ in sie according to the dimension of the RSJ, and how are they attached to the RSJ?

I also plan to extend supports vertically upwards from the rsj up to the roof joists to support them intead of using the gigantic purlin tha is in place. How are these vertical posts attached down to the RSJ and upwards to the roof joist, is there some specialized bracket involved here?

Finally, what mechanism is used to fix the RSJ itself in place. My house is very long, 54 ft, so I plan to use two lengths of RSK, ie. 2 RSJs on each side of the house. I expect it is sunk into a hole knocked out of the gable on one end and bedded in with concrete, is that correct?
But then when I rest it on the internal solid wall , what is used to hold it in place there?

I understand I'll need to abide by BR , I'll get my architect friend to double check what I'm doing along the way but I'd like these questions answered to help me in planning work,and pricing and ordering materials.

Thanks for helping an adventurous DIYer save 10,000 euros. (in ireland)

Ian
Old July 11th 05, 06:39 PM
Brian G

IanMcD wrote:
Hi,

I want to get cracking on a loft conversion on a bungalow and would
like some help in understanding the particulars of the materials I'll
be needing.

I have a lot of internal solid walls and plan to place RSJs from the
gable to the internal walls and suspend floor joists from them. I
understand that to do this I need joist hangers, I've never used a
joist hanger, do they differ in sie according to the dimension of the
RSJ, and how are they attached to the RSJ?

What size is the RSJ? It is normal to have the RSJ the same height as the
timber floor joists and just 'notch' the timber joist so it sits inside the
'web' of the RSJ - ergo joist hangers are not needed

I also plan to extend supports vertically upwards from the rsj up to
the roof joists to support them intead of using the gigantic purlin
tha is in place. How are these vertical posts attached down to the
RSJ and upwards to the roof joist, is there some specialized bracket
involved here?

Personally I would not consider replacing the purlin with hangers - bearing
in mind the roof will weigh several tons (or tonnes) and you could cause
some serious damage to the roof in doing that - if you decide to go ahead,
then the section size of the timber hangers must reflect the roof load that
will be carried and this additional weight will then also be transferred
onto your new RSJs thus increasing the floor loading - remember that you
must also take into consideration any winter snow loading.

As a caveat to this, if you intend to fit some sort of a dormer window,
then the roof purlin will obviously have to be cut and a method of
supporting (trimming) the cut ends worked out to maintain the load carrying
integrity.

Finally, what mechanism is used to fix the RSJ itself in place. My
house is very long, 54 ft, so I plan to use two lengths of RSK, ie. 2
RSJs on each side of the house. I expect it is sunk into a hole
knocked out of the gable on one end and bedded in with concrete, is
that correct?

Near enough.

But then when I rest it on the internal solid wall , what is used to
hold it in place there?

Bricks cemented to the internal wall on either side of the RSJs - but if can
be done in one length, the nothing as the floor joists will hold it.

I understand I'll need to abide by BR , I'll get my architect friend
to double check what I'm doing along the way but I'd like these
questions answered to help me in planning work,and pricing and
ordering materials.

In view of the questions that you have asked, I would seriously agree with
an Architect having a look and advising *before* you start - and possibly a
structural engineer as well.

Thanks for helping an adventurous DIYer save 10,000 euros. (in
ireland)

Ian, just take care in what you are doing and take all the professional
advice that you can get with regards to roof and floor loading/designs as a
'bad decision' may cost you far more than the 10,000 euros that you are
trying to save.

Best of luck on the project,

Brian G

Old July 11th 05, 06:43 PM
BigWallop

"IanMcD" wrote in message

[...]

What does your structural engineer say about the calculations on this job?
What would he / she advise to make it all safe and secure?

Old July 12th 05, 09:16 AM
Bod

What about the extra load of the floor on the existing walls that the
RSJ will be sat on, won't u need calcs from engineer??
can you start without planning permission, building regs etc in
Ireland? Hope all goes well