Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Revised lighting plan

I revised my lighting plan from last year and posted
a diagram of my current plans on my website. Yea/Nea?

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

Thank you,
Bill

P.S. My floor is not really as clean as it looks in the picture! ; )

In another few weeks, I will be able to get back to putting some honest
effort into this multi-faceted "project"!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 21:01:49 -0400, Bill wrote:

I revised my lighting plan from last year and posted
a diagram of my current plans on my website. Yea/Nea?

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

Not enough light on the house (bottom) and door (right) sides. Where is your
drill press?

Thank you,
Bill

P.S. My floor is not really as clean as it looks in the picture! ; )

In another few weeks, I will be able to get back to putting some honest
effort into this multi-faceted "project"!

In a few weeks I'll be done for the season. :-(
Posted to rec.woodworking

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 21:01:49 -0400, wrote:

I revised my lighting plan from last year and posted
a diagram of my current plans on my website. Yea/Nea?

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

Not enough light on the house (bottom) and door (right) sides. Where is your
drill press?

Mostly waiting on those few weeks I mentioned below. I've got the wood
cut for its baseboard. I read the directions for my router 2 days ago.
I'm going to use the DP baseboard as an opportunity to learn to try out
my router. I need to trim the hedges and de-algae the deck this weekend.

Do you have uniform lighting throughout your shop?

Bill

Thank you,
Bill

P.S. My floor is not really as clean as it looks in the picture! ; )

In another few weeks, I will be able to get back to putting some honest
effort into this multi-faceted "project"!

In a few weeks I'll be done for the season. :-(

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 21:01:49 -0400, Bill wrote:

I revised my lighting plan from last year and posted
a diagram of my current plans on my website. Yea/Nea?

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

Nothing over the garage door, for when it's closed at night, cold
mornings, stormy days, etc? Nothing on the bottom side?

P.S. My floor is not really as clean as it looks in the picture! ; )

What? You can see the floor in your shop? You rat!

You don't want to drop the middle of the three or it will leave you
with deep/bad shadows over your workbench.

In another few weeks, I will be able to get back to putting some honest
effort into this multi-faceted "project"!

Cool.

--
The United States of America is the greatest, the
noblest and, in its original founding principles,
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 23:57:22 -0400, Bill wrote:

wrote:
On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 21:01:49 -0400, wrote:

I revised my lighting plan from last year and posted
a diagram of my current plans on my website. Yea/Nea?

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

Not enough light on the house (bottom) and door (right) sides. Where is your
drill press?

Mostly waiting on those few weeks I mentioned below. I've got the wood
cut for its baseboard. I read the directions for my router 2 days ago.
I'm going to use the DP baseboard as an opportunity to learn to try out
my router. I need to trim the hedges and de-algae the deck this weekend.

Do you have uniform lighting throughout your shop?

Not yet. My shop is under heavier construction than yours. I'm just putting
in the walls and ceiling rafters. If I get that done before summer sets in
I'll be doing good. Then in the Fall/Winter I'll have to put in the
sub-floor, insulate, and have someone install something for the HVAC.

I did buy the drill press, though. I'll be moving it around until I get the
rest done. I'll probably do something like your base, except put wheels on
it. I thought of adding blocks to get the wheels off the floor but really
haven't thought that far ahead.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 21:01:49 -0400, wrote:

I revised my lighting plan from last year and posted
a diagram of my current plans on my website. Yea/Nea?

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

Nothing over the garage door, for when it's closed at night, cold
mornings, stormy days, etc? Nothing on the bottom side?

I could add a 4th light along my end wall, but it gets hard to justify
it. I think I'm a "garage door--Open" kind of person. I can always add
more maps--even before I finish, if I'm not happy with the result.

Should I expect to be able to make my wire connections inside the lamp
fixtures--connecting the fixtures with conduit? Oops, someone's gonna
say I should be looking in a book!

P.S. My floor is not really as clean as it looks in the picture! ; )

What? You can see the floor in your shop? You rat!

You don't want to drop the middle of the three or it will leave you
with deep/bad shadows over your workbench.

**Noted and appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

In another few weeks, I will be able to get back to putting some honest
effort into this multi-faceted "project"!

Cool.

--
The United States of America is the greatest, the
noblest and, in its original founding principles,
the only moral country in the history of the world.
-- Ayn Rand

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 00:37:49 -0400, Bill wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 21:01:49 -0400, wrote:

I revised my lighting plan from last year and posted
a diagram of my current plans on my website. Yea/Nea?

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

Nothing over the garage door, for when it's closed at night, cold
mornings, stormy days, etc? Nothing on the bottom side?

I could add a 4th light along my end wall, but it gets hard to justify
it. I think I'm a "garage door--Open" kind of person.

Oh, you're the ******* down the street making all that noise, are you?
g I try to severely diminish the noise for my neighbors whenever
possible.

I can always add
more maps--even before I finish, if I'm not happy with the result.

?Maps? You mean fixtures?

Should I expect to be able to make my wire connections inside the lamp
fixtures--connecting the fixtures with conduit?

Yeah, trailing bare wires out through knife-sharp knockout holes is
not the best method. Use flexible (if not hard) conduit and threaded
end connectors.

Oops, someone's gonna say I should be looking in a book!

And some boatmonger will be cussing you for not putting up at _least_
twenty seven or so fixtures.

--
The United States of America is the greatest, the
noblest and, in its original founding principles,
the only moral country in the history of the world.
-- Ayn Rand
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/14/2011 8:03 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Bill wrote:

Do you have uniform lighting throughout your shop?

I do, pretty much. Could use one more light over the lumber rack end.

My shop is about the same size as yours. I would arrange the lights thusly,
keeping the two odd balls too...
http://mysite.verizon.net/xico/pix/lights15.jpg

Thank you for sharing your idea. My first reaction is: 20% of my light
where I'll be 80% of the time (and 2 of the lights would be over the
garage door, when it is up). At least your idea doesn't require the
budget be increased, except for a little wire and conduit!

Thank you,
Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/14/2011 8:53 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I can always add
more maps--even before I finish, if I'm not happy with the result.

?Maps? You mean fixtures?

Yeah, sorry, I meant to type "lamps", not "maps".

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

Do you have uniform lighting throughout your shop?

I do, pretty much. Could use one more light over the lumber rack end.

My shop is about the same size as yours. I would arrange the lights
thusly,
keeping the two odd balls too...
http://mysite.verizon.net/xico/pix/lights15.jpg

Thank you for sharing your idea. My first reaction is: 20% of my light
where I'll be 80% of the time (and 2 of the lights would be over the
garage door, when it is up). At least your idea doesn't require the
budget be increased, except for a little wire and conduit!

Thank you,
Bill

Maybe I'll go back to the idea we came up with a few months ago of
"experimenting" a little before doing the "final installation".

Hope spring has arrived for you in OH!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 12:32:55 -0400, Bill
wrote:

snip

Thank you for sharing your idea. My first reaction is: 20% of my light
where I'll be 80% of the time (and 2 of the lights would be over the
garage door, when it is up). At least your idea doesn't require the
budget be increased, except for a little wire and conduit!

Thank you,
Bill

Maybe I'll go back to the idea we came up with a few months ago of
"experimenting" a little before doing the "final installation".

Hope spring has arrived for you in OH!

Bill

Put the light fixture on plugs and install outlets overhead. It makes
rearrangement a lot easier when/if you reconfigure the gara... ahh,
shop.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 01:01:24 -0400, Bill wrote:

wrote:

Not yet. My shop is under heavier construction than yours. I'm just putting
in the walls and ceiling rafters. If I get that done before summer sets in
I'll be doing good. Then in the Fall/Winter I'll have to put in the
sub-floor, insulate, and have someone install something for the HVAC.

Wow, you're really "building"!

It's in the attic, over the garage (where a "Bonus" or "FROG" would be). I
first had to raise (8") and level the floor. The Mexican framers did a
horrible job on the house. I have the knee walls in and I'm just finishing up
the closet walls. I'll then finish off the rafters and call it a summer. The
attic gets HOT in the Alabama summer.

I did buy the drill press, though. I'll be moving it around until I get the
rest done. I'll probably do something like your base, except put wheels on
it. I thought of adding blocks to get the wheels off the floor but really
haven't thought that far ahead.

Congrats on your DP purchase! I believe you chose a good one. : )

I certainly hope so. The finance committee isn't likely to go for another one
soon. Next is the bandsaw, I think.

My only concern about my baseboard is about its height. If I'm not happy
with it I won't hesitate to rip it apart. I'll keep you posted.

Having played a little with the DP, I really do want it higher. I found
myself stooping over to use it. Another 6-8" would be nice. Let me know what
you end up with. If you do a Sketchup model of yours, post it somewhere. I
have a router table and a storage cabinet or two to do before that, I think.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 20:50:12 -0400, Bill wrote:

wrote:

My only concern about my baseboard is about its height. If I'm not happy
with it I won't hesitate to rip it apart. I'll keep you posted.

Having played a little with the DP, I really do want it higher. I found
myself stooping over to use it. Another 6-8" would be nice. Let me know what
you end up with. If you do a Sketchup model of yours, post it somewhere. I
have a router table and a storage cabinet or two to do before that, I think.

Okay, I'll post pictures of the actual baseboard and the model for you
in a few weeks. If you need it sooner, let me know, I can post my SU
model for you in 5 minutes or less. I'll feel better about the design
after has been "validated" by the build.

Nah, no need to rush things. Like I said, I'll likely not get to it for a
while. ...unless I get tired of moosing it around with a hand truck. It
can't go far because most of the floor is just 1/2" OSB with a screw holding
it to the floor "joists" (spacers, really) in each corner.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 12:15:34 -0400, Bill
wrote:

On 4/14/2011 8:53 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I can always add
more maps--even before I finish, if I'm not happy with the result.

?Maps? You mean fixtures?

Yeah, sorry, I meant to type "lamps", not "maps".

Sorry, but you can only add lamps to fixtures, sir.

--
The United States of America is the greatest, the
noblest and, in its original founding principles,
the only moral country in the history of the world.
-- Ayn Rand
Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:

Put the light fixture on plugs and install outlets overhead. It makes
rearrangement a lot easier when/if you reconfigure the gara... ahh,
shop.

I view it from a different perspective. I believe in lighting for complete
light coverage, and then you can move things around all you want, without
having to reconfigure lights.

Bill has been given more advice on this simple lighting project than would
have been required to build the Empire State Building, and he's still
waffling about what to do, and not doing anything. He's stuck in design
mode. My god - it's only a shop. But - Bill likes to deliberate these
things, and after all - that's probably part of the fun of it all for him.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

More importantly, to him anyway, he doesn't have to spend any $.

Lew

Actually, "spending" does seem to translate to action. Once I "collected
all my parts" last summer, my project really got going.
I have several to do this summer, not including building musical
instruments, etc... You think I should maybe hold off on the violin?
: ) Relatively speaking, I think the minstrel banjo will be easier.
I have a flower box in mind too, and some household furnishings. SWMBO
is still waiting on a new birdhouse! Electric company cut down tree in
our yard and one in adjacent yard this spring, but I won't mention that
we no longer need a new birdhouse...

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 13, 8:01*pm, Bill wrote:
I revised my lighting plan from last year and posted
a diagram of my current plans on my website. *Yea/Nea?

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

Thank you,
Bill

P.S. My floor is not really as clean as it looks in the picture! ; )

In another few weeks, I will be able to get back to putting some honest
effort into this multi-faceted "project"!

Not nearly enough lights. Unless you are standing in the small area
where the 7 lights are located, you won't see anything in that 20x25
foot, 500 square space. My basement is roughly 600 and 700 square
feet on its two sides. I have 18 and 19 four foot two bulb fixtures
in those two spaces. 18 fixtures on the 700 sq ft side and 19
fixtures on the 600 sq ft side. Just worked out that way. The
basement is very well lit, very even. White walls and white floor
help too. The four foot two bulb fixtures are only $20 each. Buy 10
more and put them in. You don't have to use metal conduit. Romex
stapled to the ceiling will work fine. Or better run it up in the
attic part of the garage so its invisible.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Apr 13, 8:01 pm, Bill wrote:
[...]

Well - I would not paint quite that picture. My garage is 36X26 and I do
wood working and I paint/restore cars in it with 15 4' lights in those three
bays. Plenty adequate lighting, even for old eyes.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
wrote:
On Apr 13, 8:01 pm, wrote:
[...]

Mike, If I added 9 altogether, 4 in front, 2 in the middle, 3 toward the
door, would that seem like a good design, to you? My eyes like like
too--can't watch tv without added light.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
wrote:
On Apr 13, 8:01 pm, wrote:
[...]

Typo fixed: My eyes like *light*

too--can't watch tv without added light.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 13, 9:01*pm, Bill wrote:
I revised my lighting plan from last year and posted
a diagram of my current plans on my website. *Yea/Nea?

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

Thank you,
Bill

P.S. My floor is not really as clean as it looks in the picture! ; )

In another few weeks, I will be able to get back to putting some honest
effort into this multi-faceted "project"!

Two fluorescent strips, about four feet apart, on either
side of the table saw blade give a nearly shadow-free
light where you need it, and leave an alley between
for tall cuts, such as tenons.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

Mike, If I added 9 altogether, 4 in front, 2 in the middle, 3 toward
the door, would that seem like a good design, to you? My eyes like
like too--can't watch tv without added light.

Bill

I'd go with rows spaced 5'-6' apart or whatever measurement in that range
works out for even spacing across your shop. mine are about 8' apart but
that is because they are spaced so that when a car is in its bay, i have a
run of lights going down each side. End to end mine are spaced about 2 1/2
feet apart. My ceiling is 9' high so I get good light dispersion with this
configuration. The difference in my set up and yours is that I have
specific needs - the ability to light up a whole car when it is parked in
the garage. You need more general area lighting.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 23:57:54 -0400, Bill wrote:

Mike Marlow wrote:

Hey, with THIRTY lamps in there, http://goo.gl/NoCBW

--
If only he'd wash his neck, I'd wring it.
-- John Sparrow

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi folks,

I revised my lighting plan consistent with
comments that were made towards "uniform lighting".

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

I'm not usually a political person, but the way I proceed
may be based upon the number of people that don't
think the design is "crazy"! It does feature 2 light levels.

I forget how many amps (2*32W each) these fixtures require, but
I may take that into consideration too. How many can go on a
single 20-Amp breaker (for which I've already pulled conduit)?

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 23:23:39 -0400, Bill wrote:

Hi folks,

I revised my lighting plan consistent with
comments that were made towards "uniform lighting".

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

I'm not usually a political person, but the way I proceed
may be based upon the number of people that don't
think the design is "crazy"! It does feature 2 light levels.

I forget how many amps (2*32W each) these fixtures require, but
I may take that into consideration too. How many can go on a
single 20-Amp breaker (for which I've already pulled conduit)?

2*32W*13=832W or in a perfect world about 7A (832/120). Double that because
nothing is perfect and you're still way under your 20A circuit. Sounds like a
plan. Two switches is a good idea, perhaps 1/3 of the lights on one, and 2/3
on the other. If there are no other lights in the garage I'd put one or two
on a third switch (all in the same box).
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in :

Hi folks,

I revised my lighting plan consistent with
comments that were made towards "uniform lighting".

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

I'm not usually a political person, but the way I proceed
may be based upon the number of people that don't
think the design is "crazy"! It does feature 2 light levels.

I forget how many amps (2*32W each) these fixtures require, but
I may take that into consideration too. How many can go on a
single 20-Amp breaker (for which I've already pulled conduit)?

Bill

Two or three switches would not be excessive, and if they're in the same
box it's easy to hit them all at the same time. Chances are you'll turn
on all the lights when you're working, but only turn on a couple of the
lights when you need to see enough to get something. (That's how it
works for me.)

Make sure you get good quality electronic ballasts for your flourescent
lights. I changed out the old magnetic ballasts in one room for
electronic ballasts and love the result. The lights come on instantly,
there's no hum, and no eye strain from the flicker rate.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 22:02:16 -0400, Bill wrote:

wrote:

2*32W*13=832W or in a perfect world about 7A (832/120). Double that because
nothing is perfect and you're still way under your 20A circuit. Sounds like a
plan. Two switches is a good idea, perhaps 1/3 of the lights on one, and 2/3
on the other. If there are no other lights in the garage I'd put one or two
on a third switch (all in the same box).

Guess I'm gonna rip out some of my drywall to install a multi-switch
box... I know Larry J.' will somehow be amused by that.

You finally came around to it, dincha, Bill? LOL!

--
If only he'd wash his neck, I'd wring it.
-- John Sparrow

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

2*32W*13=832W or in a perfect world about 7A (832/120). Double that because
nothing is perfect and you're still way under your 20A circuit. Sounds like a
plan. Two switches is a good idea, perhaps 1/3 of the lights on one, and 2/3
on the other. If there are no other lights in the garage I'd put one or two
on a third switch (all in the same box).

Guess I'm gonna rip out some of my drywall to install a multi-switch
box... I know Larry J.' will somehow be amused by that.

Put a fixture or two on the switch you already have and install another,
old-work, box in a convenient place for the work lights. ...or rip out a
little sheetrock. You know how to work with it now. ;-)

Revised LTSpice tutorial Charles Electronics Repair 0 February 13th 08 11:47 PM
Revised LTSpice tutorial Charles Electronics 0 February 13th 08 11:36 PM
Revised Screwfix policy crb UK diy 1 August 10th 06 01:28 PM
Revised Router Question [email protected] Woodworking 3 March 19th 06 06:24 AM
Revised new FAQ now available Ed Sirett UK diy 16 January 6th 06 09:03 AM