Posted to rec.woodworking

Default new film finish removers

I've just discovered TWO NEW finish removers in the last couple
months:

1. Apple juice. I have an antique oak kitchen table with a small oak
lazy susan on it. It was finished with poly ~25 years ago; the finish
has held up very well. Until my daughter spilled a glass of apple
juice under the lazy susan. It sat there undetected for who-knows-how
long. When detected, the poly was totally gone.

2. Room perfume. My dad and I built a pine box to hold a set of
geological maps, ~1976. It too was finished with poly. It's been
knicked and bumped a bit, but the finish was in pretty good shape. I
temporarily stored it against a wall, underneath one of those plug in
gizmos to make the room smell "better". (Well, better than cat odors,
I guess). The oil leaked onto the top of the box and down the front.
The poly was cleanly stripped down to the wood.

Just keepin' the group informed.

-Zz