Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Range of vision - short and tall drivers

Folks, I posted this on a math group but nobody answered. I suspect
that the engineers, etc. on this NG
can take this one on..

I am in a discussion with one short (4'10") and one tall (6'2") driver
about range of vision. The short stuff is always
getting paint and dings on all 4 corners of her sedan because, she
complains, she can't see because of her height.
The tall driver argues this is hooey,; short is just not a careful
driver. Short argues that tall doesn't account for how much further
he can see than her.

I said I would try to find out whether there is a formula for
calculating how far a person of "x" height can see from the driver's
seat. Of course there are many variables: Whether the subject is
short-waisted or long-waisted. Length of neck. Height of car seat.
Height of pillow. Vision - good or needs correction. Etc.

Can one derive a formula?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

It will vary drastically with the size of the car, position of the
seat etc., but it certainly is harder for shorter drivers. In case you
haven't realized this (it's not obvious from your post), it's not a
matter of the taller driver being able to see FARTHER, but being able
to see CLOSER to the sides of the car.

That doesn't necessarily mean that she isn't also careless...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 16, 2:46*am, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

If you could derive a formula, the insurance companies would have done
so long ago and raised premiums for short people.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 16, 1:46*am, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

So the driver is a road hazzard. The driver that hits things shouldnt
drive anymore. Being short is no excuse, sit on a pillow if height is
the issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

With very rounded profiles, a lot of cars might be difficult for a short
driver. I did a Google search for '"safe driving" "seat height" ' and
got some interesting hits.

http://answers.edmunds.com/question-...ple-32011.aspx

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
Folks, I posted this on a math group but nobody answered. I suspect
that the engineers, etc. on this NG
can take this one on..

I am in a discussion with one short (4'10") and one tall (6'2") driver
about range of vision. The short stuff is always
getting paint and dings on all 4 corners of her sedan because, she
complains, she can't see because of her height.
The tall driver argues this is hooey,; short is just not a careful
driver. Short argues that tall doesn't account for how much further
he can see than her.

Higgs, why don't you save yourself much grief and tell her you love here,
drop the subject and ignore future dings. :-)
Mike
PS. The car is an extension of your body, but with this extension you only
know where it ends by sight. Short doesn't have as good a view as tall.

PSS. My short is (4'7") and no dings here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am in a discussion with one short (4'10") and one tall (6'2")
driver about range of vision. The short stuff is always
getting paint and dings on all 4 corners of her sedan because, she
complains, she can't see because of her height.
The tall driver argues this is hooey,; short is just not a careful
driver. Short argues that tall doesn't account for how much further
he can see than her.

I said I would try to find out whether there is a formula for
calculating how far a person of "x" height can see from the driver's
seat. Of course there are many variables: Whether the subject is
short-waisted or long-waisted. Length of neck. Height of car seat.
Height of pillow. Vision - good or needs correction. Etc.

Can one derive a formula?

The short person is careless and is using height as an excuse. You can sit
on a booster of some sort and learn to judge distance from their
perspective. Fact is, most cars are designed today, that it is difficult
for anyone to see the rear corners from the rear window or the mirror. Bt
that is no excuse to bash into something if you are too lazy to learn to
judge distance.

Other aids are available, such as parabolic mirrors, curb feelers, and
mounting corner guides. Take a look at a snow plow that had a flexible rod
standing up on the corner so the driver can tell where the end of the blade
is. Pedals can be extended if the driver is sitting on a raise seat. Too
lazy and too cheap are the problem, no height.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

No idea about the vision formula.
My last two cars have had rear spoilers. That helps a bunch for
the rear vision. There are after market versions.
How about fake (decorative) antennas for the front end? I know
there are some that fasten with double sided tape. Maybe there are some
that use magnets instead.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

Man can adapt, woman on the other hand...... Sorry, couldn't help it.

Hows about the little short guy driving an aircraft carrier or a 747.
If you know your vehicle and it's characteristics, why would you have
a problem? Tank driver comes to mind, no, not a Buick.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

The tall driver is a guy, the short driver is female. That explains it...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Higgs Boson wrote:

Can one derive a formula?

Of course altho it has to be mostly empirically calibrated to the
individual car/driver.

The closest one can see (w/o artificial aids) is the continuation of the
straight line between the height of the eyes and the highest obstruction
in the line of sight. Clearly the higher the sight point relative to
that the closer to the vehicle the sight point is.

I'm not going to try to do ASCII art; it's too painful but one can see
the essence by drawing two triangles where the base represents the
ground level, the height is the intersection of the location of the
viewing point and the dash or other obstruction say and the hypotenuse
is that line extended. Make a second hypotenuse going thru that point
and intersecting w/ the height of the other driver and extend that to
the base as well. The distance between those on the base is the
advantage of the taller viewpoint to the ground; the same ratio holds
for any other point only the distance is somewhat reduced as the object
is taller.

It's only some trig to work out the actual formula altho simply using
the ratios for sample subjects would be the quicker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Have her sell the car and buy a motorcycle. Problem solved. ww

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/15/2010 11:46 PM Higgs Boson spake thus:

I am in a discussion with one short (4'10") and one tall (6'2") driver
about range of vision. The short stuff is always
getting paint and dings on all 4 corners of her sedan because, she
complains, she can't see because of her height.
The tall driver argues this is hooey,; short is just not a careful
driver. Short argues that tall doesn't account for how much further
he can see than her.

Randy Newman answered this, and related questions a long time ago:

"Short people got ... no reason to live."

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote the following:
[...]

There's no formula. It's common sense.A tall person can see more of the
road directly in front of the car's hood (bonnet).
A short person can probably not see the license plate (licence tag) of
the car in front of her at a stop.
And if he/she is really short, the steering wheel is in his/her field of
view, and the Sun not being blocked by the lowered sun visor. .

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:

I said I would try to find out whether there is a formula for
calculating how far a person of "x" height can see from the driver's
seat. Of course there are many variables: Whether the subject is
short-waisted or long-waisted. Length of neck. Height of car seat.
Height of pillow. Vision - good or needs correction. Etc.

Can one derive a formula?

My formula is to always agree with the female.

I might get lucky.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 16, 3:10*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

I said I would try to find out whether there is a formula for
calculating how far a person of "x" height can see from the driver's
seat. * Of course there are many variables: * *Whether the subject is
short-waisted or long-waisted. *Length of neck. Height of car seat.
Height of pillow. *Vision - good or needs correction. *Etc.

Can one *derive a formula?

My formula is to always agree with the female.

I might get lucky.

I would tend to agree with Hey Bub.....that would be my pragmatic side

my totally un-PC self thinks perhaps .........its NOT a height
thing. Maybe its a chromosome thing?

which reminds me of a really un-PC joke told to me YEARS ago....Why
couldn't Helen Keller drive very well?

As a practical matter...get "the short one" a booster seat?. Or mod
the seat frame?

My g/f 35 years ago drove a 65 Mustang. The driver's seat adjustment,
even when completely forward, she was shy of easily reaching the
pedals (she was 5' 3 1/2").
I made a seat track adapter that placed the seat 3" closer to the
wheel. I could still drive fine with the seat further back.
Actually at full rearward (with the old installation) I couldn't
reach the pedals either. So the 3" shift was fine for the 6'+ crowd
as well.

OP-

Good luck. I don't see any upside here.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 1:14*am, DD_BobK wrote:
On Jan 16, 3:10*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:

I said I would try to find out whether there is a formula for
calculating how far a person of "x" height can see from the driver's
seat. * Of course there are many variables: * *Whether the subject is
short-waisted or long-waisted. *Length of neck. Height of car seat.
Height of pillow. *Vision - good or needs correction. *Etc.

Can one *derive a formula?

My formula is to always agree with the female.

I might get lucky.

I would tend to agree with Hey Bub.....that would be my pragmatic side

my totally *un-PC self thinks perhaps .........its NOT a height
thing. *Maybe its a chromosome thing?

which reminds me of a really un-PC joke told to me YEARS ago....Why
couldn't Helen Keller drive very well?

Got another one for ya:

A foursome of engineers (what else?) was golfing when they came
up behind another foursome that was playing through veeeeeery slowly.
One of the engineers hunched up to the driver of the golf cart and
hissed
at him "Whatthehell...your guys are holding everybody up!" Driver
said
"Shhh!...they're blind!". "Aw ****", blurts the engineer, "Why can't
they
play at night!".

As a practical matter...get "the short one" a booster seat?. * Or mod
the seat frame?

Uh, I don't want to get too far in the middle of this, but she says
she
uses a seat cushion. Started to look into modifying pedal, but
was afraid it might slip, or something...

My g/f 35 years ago drove a 65 Mustang. *The driver's seat adjustment,
even when completely forward, *she was shy of easily reaching the
pedals (she was 5' 3 1/2").
I made a seat track adapter that placed the seat 3" closer to the
wheel. * I could still drive fine with the seat further back.
Actually at full rearward (with the old installation) *I couldn't
reach the pedals either. *So the 3" shift was fine for the 6'+ crowd
as well.

Sounds good, if done VERY carefully.

However, one is supposed to sit at least 10" from the wheel for air
bag
safety, which could be a problem for pregnant female, and
especially for small female, pregnant or not, if they have to
sit too close to the wheel.

Like I said, I'm staying out of it; my main interest was to derive a
formula,
and one of the respondents did post sort of a formula.

Also, there may be something in what a couple of respondents have said
(more or less snottily g) about the 4'10" needs to work on her
distance
perception.

OP-

Good luck. *I don't see any upside here.

I'll try to find a way to mention the seat track adapter without
getting
into it between them.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Yep.
$=new_car QED

There are so many variables that you can't mess with, and others that
you shouldn't, that it makes any calculation nothing more than mental
exercise with no value whatsoever. The most important variable and
the only one that makes an appreciable difference, is the driver's
comfort and confidence level.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

I never drove a tank, but I'm guessing they don't do much parallel
parking, and when they do, they're likely not too concerned about fender
dings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Here's way to test the sight lines and prove to him that she is right,
but only in one regard:

- Take a bunch of sticks and paint the tips in bright colors but don't
tell the drivers what colors you used.
- With the driver seated behind the wheel, hold a stick at each corner
of the vehicle and raise it slowly until the driver can tell you what
color it is.

I'm sure you'll find that the taller driver can see the tip before the
shorter driver can, which proves it's harder for her to see the
corners of the vehicle.

That said, she is still at fault. Her height, while maybe an *excuse*
for all the dings on the car, does not relieve her of any
responsibilty for the damage. If she's too short to drive safely - or
just *can't* drive safely - then she shouldn't be driving.

Driver: "Your honor, it's not my fault that I hit that kid. I'm
short."

Judge: "Well, that just means less material will be used to make your
prison clothes."

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
That said, she is still at fault. Her height, while maybe an *excuse*
for all the dings on the car, does not relieve her of any

)responsibilty for the damage. If she's too short to drive safely - or
just *can't* drive safely - then she shouldn't be driving.

Agreed, but it's an easy fix. My 85 year old mother says she's 5' but she's
nowhere near that tall. Until the most recent vehicle, every car she's ever
owned had the front bench put up on blocks and pushed all the way forward.
Anyone else sitting in the front seat had to eat their knees and hunch down
to keep from smacking the ceiling. It worked just fine for her. She now has
a Toyota which has a seat which can be automatically moved up and forward
enough for her to be where she should be in the seat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 19, 2:24*pm, "h" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

news:397bc611-6bcf-4c90-b23f-That said, she is still at fault. Her height, while maybe an *excuse*
for all the dings on the car, does not relieve her of any

)responsibilty for the damage. If she's too short to drive safely - or

just *can't* drive safely - then she shouldn't be driving.

Agreed, but it's an easy fix. My 85 year old mother says she's 5' but she's
nowhere near that tall. Until the most recent vehicle, every car she's ever
owned had the front bench put up on blocks and pushed all the way forward..
Anyone else sitting in the front seat had to eat their knees and hunch down
to keep from smacking the ceiling. It worked just fine for her. She now has
a Toyota which has a seat which can be automatically moved up and forward
enough for her to be where she should be in the seat.

Unfortunately, modifying the seat as you describe is dangerous due to
the airbag deployment restrictions.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

RicodJour wrote:

Unfortunately, modifying the seat as you describe is dangerous due to
the airbag deployment restrictions.

Anyone that small probably shouldn't have the airbag activated. That's
marginal on the recommendations for sizes of youngsters in front seats
for that reason.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

I knew a kid who was a driver of the awesome M1 Abrams tank while he was
stationed in Germany and he told me about accidents with tiny cars that
would try to pass a convoy and get between a couple of tanks. Bad move,
do you have any idea of what happens when a LeCar meets an M1 Abrams?
My late great uncle who was in The Army Signal Corps since they were
using two tin cans and a string, told me about the VW Beatles that ran
afoul of the M48 and M60 tanks when he was in the service, He said "Yea,
they fold up real good." *snicker*

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Jan 19, 2:24 pm, "h" wrote:
[...]

Umm, if you had actually read my post, you'd realize that all the cars my
mother had previous to her current vehicle were BENCH seats, so OBVIOUSLY
they were made long before airbags were even thought of. Hell, her last car
was the first one she ever had new enough to have seat belts. The car she
has now has automatic seat adjustments, and, by the way, no airbag (it's a
1992).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 19, 3:42*pm, "h" wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Jan 19, 2:24 pm, "h" wrote:
[...]

I did read your post and found it a bit misleading. You said,
"Agreed, but it's an easy fix." I was merely pointing out that it's
not so easy, nor safe, of a fix with airbags.

BTW, your newsreader is doing something funny with the stuff you're
quoting. My comment was the most recent one, and should have a single
. For some reason your reader is adding a couple more s.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 19, 3:16*pm, dpb wrote:
RicodJour wrote:

Unfortunately, modifying the seat as you describe is dangerous due to
the airbag deployment restrictions.

Anyone that small probably shouldn't have the airbag activated. *That's
marginal on the recommendations for sizes of youngsters in front seats
for that reason.

We're talking about the driver, right? I know you can turn off the
airbag for the passenger seat, but I didn't know you could turn off
the driver's side airbag. Is this something new? Seems to me that it
defeats the whole purpose of the thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Jan 19, 3:16 pm, dpb wrote:
RicodJour wrote:

Unfortunately, modifying the seat as you describe is dangerous due to
the airbag deployment restrictions.

Anyone that small probably shouldn't have the airbag activated. That's
marginal on the recommendations for sizes of youngsters in front seats
for that reason.

We're talking about the driver, right? I know you can turn off the
airbag for the passenger seat, but I didn't know you could turn off
the driver's side airbag. Is this something new? Seems to me that it
defeats the whole purpose of the thing.

Very short people and asthmatics should deactivate airbags. Everyone knows
this, don't they?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 19, 4:32*pm, "h" wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

On Jan 19, 3:16 pm, dpb wrote:

RicodJour wrote:

Unfortunately, modifying the seat as you describe is dangerous due to
the airbag deployment restrictions.

Anyone that small probably shouldn't have the airbag activated. That's
marginal on the recommendations for sizes of youngsters in front seats
for that reason.
We're talking about the driver, right? *I know you can turn off the
airbag for the passenger seat, but I didn't know you could turn off
the driver's side airbag. *Is this something new? *Seems to me that it
defeats the whole purpose of the thing.

Very short people and asthmatics should deactivate airbags. Everyone knows
this, don't they?

Not being in either camp, I did not know this. I've seen the
passenger seat airbag deactivation switch, but never a driver's. I
ran across this:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-dr...es/airbag3.htm

It seems that to deactivate a driver air bag a form is supposed to be
filled out so a dealer or repair shop can install the switch. It has
to be installed at the customer's request, it seems.

In any event, my point was that modifying a car to suit a small driver
is not always possible, and rarely easily done, if there is also a
tall driver. And a person operates best in a vehicle they feel
comfortable in and have confidence in. This may mean having two
vehicles. Hell, Hoover promised us that, right?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"h" wrote in message
Umm, if you had actually read my post, you'd realize that all the cars my
mother had previous to her current vehicle were BENCH seats, so OBVIOUSLY
they were made long before airbags were even thought of.

Huh? Bench seats have been in airbag equipped cars for years. I've owned a
couple of them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 19, 12:42*pm, "h" wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

On Jan 19, 2:24 pm, "h" wrote:

[...]

No airbag? 1992? I didn't know any car was produced without them
back then...unless in a third world country perhaps.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message
On Jan 19, 12:42 pm, "h" wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

On Jan 19, 2:24 pm, "h" wrote:

[...]

My 1993 Subaru didn't have one either, and I live in NY.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 19, 11:59*pm, Harry K wrote:

No airbag? *1992? *I didn't know any car was produced without them
back then...unless in a third world country perhaps.

If I recall correctly (and someone is sure to correct me if my memory
is faulty), in 1993 some cars didn't have airbags (and consequently
had those annoying automatic shoulder belts). I bought a Prizm
because it had airbags and,thus, manual shoulder belts.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
On Jan 19, 11:59 pm, Harry K wrote:

No airbag? 1992? I didn't know any car was produced without them
back then...unless in a third world country perhaps.

If I recall correctly (and someone is sure to correct me if my memory
is faulty), in 1993 some cars didn't have airbags (and consequently
had those annoying automatic shoulder belts). I bought a Prizm
because it had airbags and,thus, manual shoulder belts.

I ADORED my automatic shoulder belt. I miss it desperately. I hate the
manual one. It binds up 8 out of 10 times so it takes forever to get the
thing buckled. I'm told I should just pull the thing out more slowly, but I
do everything very quickly and the car should be able to keep up. The auto
belt was auto advancing without binding up while I was able to quickly
buckle my lap belt, start the car, and get out of the garage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"h" wrote in message

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
On Jan 19, 11:59 pm, Harry K wrote:

No airbag? 1992? I didn't know any car was produced without them
back then...unless in a third world country perhaps.

If I recall correctly (and someone is sure to correct me if my memory
is faulty), in 1993 some cars didn't have airbags (and consequently
had those annoying automatic shoulder belts). I bought a Prizm
because it had airbags and,thus, manual shoulder belts.

I ADORED my automatic shoulder belt. I miss it desperately. I hate the

In case you haven't heard, live is not a sprint, it's a marathon. .
manual one. It binds up 8 out of 10 times so it takes forever to get the
thing buckled. I'm told I should just pull the thing out more slowly, but
I do everything very quickly and the car should be able to keep up. The
auto belt was auto advancing without binding up while I was able to
quickly buckle my lap belt, start the car, and get out of the garage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 7:21*am, Cindy Hamilton
wrote:
On Jan 19, 11:59*pm, Harry K wrote:

No airbag? *1992? *I didn't know any car was produced without them
back then...unless in a third world country perhaps.

If I recall correctly (and someone is sure to correct me if my memory
is faulty), in 1993 some cars didn't have airbags (and consequently
had those annoying automatic shoulder belts). *I bought a Prizm
because it had airbags and,thus, manual shoulder belts.

Cindy Hamilton

You are correct. I checked in another group. 1994 is the year
airbags became mandatory.

Harry K