Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Adirondack chairs

Like most woodworkers I've always wanted to make a set of these....well, now
I can finally check that off the list of to-do's.

Attached Thumbnails
Adirondack chairs-img_2094-jpg  Adirondack chairs-img_2105-jpg  Adirondack chairs-img_2122-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Wayne" wrote in message
Like most woodworkers I've always wanted to make a set of these....well,
now I can finally check that off the list of to-do's.

Gorgeous!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 01:00:16 -0500, "Wayne" wrote:

Like most woodworkers I've always wanted to make a set of these....well, now
I can finally check that off the list of to-do's.

Very nice work. Congratulations.

Regards,

Tom

Thos.J.Watson - Cabinetmaker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Wayne wrote:
Like most woodworkers I've always wanted to make a set of these....well, now
I can finally check that off the list of to-do's.

Nice job! I've been feeling like I need to build some of those myself.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Hello there,

What plans did you build from?

I need a pair for the front porch...

David.

"Wayne" wrote in message
Like most woodworkers I've always wanted to make a set of these....well,
now I can finally check that off the list of to-do's.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I no longer have an excuse. SWMBO has been after me to make some footstools
for the chairs I made a few summers ago, but I kept telling her that I
needed an idea of the design I wanted. Now I have no excuses left since she
caught me looking at yours.

Great job.

Glen

--
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's
just that they know so much that isn't so."

- Ronald Reagan
"Wayne" wrote in message
Like most woodworkers I've always wanted to make a set of these....well,
now I can finally check that off the list of to-do's.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Wayne wrote:

Like most woodworkers I've always wanted to make a set of these....well,
now I can finally check that off the list of to-do's.

Very nice.

I'm curious though, why do "most" woodworkers want to make a set of these?
I've got to confess, that's never been a gotta do or wanna do project on my
list.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Upscale wrote:

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
I'm curious though, why do "most" woodworkers want to make a set of
these? I've got to confess, that's never been a gotta do or wanna do
project on

my
list.

Don't know about you, but I'd want to have a pair Adirondack chairs and
I'd want to build them. Of course, I'd need to have house and I'd need to
build a deck attached to that house first.

Maybe that's the reason. Here in AZ, wood outside isn't always the best
choice -- the sun is harsh and termites are a prevalent problem. There may
be other Arizonans who disagree and use Adirondack chairs, if so, I'm sure
they will tell me why I should be wanting to build a pair.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Wayne wrote:

Like most woodworkers I've always wanted to make a set of
these....well, now I can finally check that off the list of
to-do's.

Very nice.

I'm curious though, why do "most" woodworkers want to make a set
of these?
I've got to confess, that's never been a gotta do or wanna do
project on my list.

A pair (or so) of these chairs is on my "list" as well. They are hella
comfortable and seem fairly simple to build. I don't know when I'll
build them, but everything gets done eventually.

I'm thinking nice 5/4 & 8/4 treated pine. Maybe not as elegant as
other choices, but durable and inexpensive... which is always a
beautiful thing ;-)

Joe Barta

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
Hello there,

What plans did you build from?

I need a pair for the front porch...

David.

These chairs are identical to a set I built many years ago from a set of
plans I got in the mail. The plans were a teaser to get me to subscribe to a
plan-o-the month club. I don't recall who sent them, but I kept the plan and
passed on the subscription. Best part was I built them from free cedar I got
from my neighbor who worked in a lumber yard (drive-by).

Buddy

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:

I'm curious though, why do "most" woodworkers want to make a set of these?
I've got to confess, that's never been a gotta do or wanna do project on my
list.

Adirondack chairs look great, are super comfortable although hard to get
out of after you get old and fat, and are an easy chair to make. When I
first started my woodworking hobby many years ago, it was my first
chair. I liked it so much I made a pattern and and was going to sell
them in a goofy effort to turn a fun hobby into work. I made one
production run of them then realized I already had a good job and there
was no reason to turn a fun hobby into work. I still have the pattern
in my shop, and almost made a set this winter for myself, but made this
deck chair instead.

Deck chairs are generally the easiest chairs to make and you can use
cheap wood you have laying around. This chair is made from some old
left over construction lumber. I used a hunk of wolmanized for the legs
in case it ever gets off my deck onto dirt, it will hang in there. I
still haven't painted it yet because the SWOMB piled 3 tons of crap in
front of my paint cabinet where I have a gallon of red wood stain...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Attached Thumbnails
Adirondack chairs-dcp_2191-jpg  Adirondack chairs-dcp_2195-jpg  Adirondack chairs-dcp_2194-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
m...
Upscale wrote:

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
I'm curious though, why do "most" woodworkers want to make a set of
these? I've got to confess, that's never been a gotta do or wanna do
project on

my
list.

Don't know about you, but I'd want to have a pair Adirondack chairs and
I'd want to build them. Of course, I'd need to have house and I'd need to
build a deck attached to that house first.

Maybe that's the reason. Here in AZ, wood outside isn't always the best
choice -- the sun is harsh and termites are a prevalent problem. There
may
be other Arizonans who disagree and use Adirondack chairs, if so, I'm sure
they will tell me why I should be wanting to build a pair.

As much as I like this pair I wouldn't build a set in New Mexico either,
wood outside here just doesn't last without an excessive amount of
maintenance. Between the sun as you mentioned coupled with an altitude of
5500 ft, the extremely low humidity almost year round, and wind it just
dries the wood so much it starts splitting in a very short time.

Wayne that is very nice work. Did you build the deck also?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Jack Stein" wrote in message

[...]

I agree that the Adirondack chairs are comfortable but no fun to exit.
Jack, do you have plans available on your site for the "deck chair"?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Jack Stein" wrote in message
Adirondack chairs look great, are super comfortable although hard to get
out of after you get old and fat, and are an easy chair to make. When I

I agree that the Adirondack chairs are comfortable but no fun to exit.
Jack, do you have plans available on your site for the "deck chair"?

Sorry Leon, no plans. I did make templates so I could easily make more,
but nothing I could put on-line.

There are only a couple of parts:

4 seat/back rails 1 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 22 1/2"
4 seat/back curved rails 1 1/2 x 2 1/4 x 21"
2 arms 1 1/2 x 4 x 22
2 front legs 1 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 23 1/2
2 rear legs 1 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 22 1/4
12 slats 1/2 x 2 1/4 x 20

The seat/back curved rails have 1" x 1 3/4" tenons turned on them. The
curve starts 1 1/4" from the end and goes to 1 1/4" thickness in the
middle of the rail. Use a thin strip of wood or yard stick to trace the
curve. The tenons are not glued, I just put a screw in from the back to
pin them in. I think thats what I was doing in the picture I posted.

Here are a couple more pictures that I took when making the chair.

If you make one and get stuck, let me know and I'll try to help out.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Attached Thumbnails
Adirondack chairs-dcp_2190-jpg  Adirondack chairs-dcp_2181-jpg  Adirondack chairs-dcp_2184-jpg

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thank you very very much Jack.

I think I can go from there, I'm thinking making a couple out of Ipe. I
keep this in my to-do file.

Adirondack Chairs Winder Woodworking 0 June 8th 08 05:25 AM
Adirondack Chairs liukaiyuan Woodworking 0 April 6th 08 12:53 PM
Adirondack Chairs samson Woodworking 10 August 2nd 07 01:50 PM
REQ: Plans for Adirondack Chairs? Cal Woodworking 13 May 17th 07 01:22 PM
Adirondack chairs woodworker88 Woodworking 21 June 9th 05 03:38 PM