Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Barrister book cases.

I want to build a six-pack of barrister book cases. I have found a few
plans..but looking for more. They don't have to be free plans either.
I simply don't have the time to design anything.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to build a six-pack of barrister book cases. I have found a few
plans..but looking for more. They don't have to be free plans either.
I simply don't have the time to design anything.

I saw ol' nail gunner Nahmie build some just the other day (most likely a
repeat).

Not to shabby neither! Give em' a glance.

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 8, 11:14 pm, Robatoy wrote:
I want to build a six-pack of barrister book cases. I have found a few
plans..but looking for more. They don't have to be free plans either.
I simply don't have the time to design anything.

There's a plan in Popular Woodworking, April 2007.
Post back with what you find - I'm interested in building some nice
bookshelves at some point in the near future.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote:

I want to build a six-pack of barrister book cases. I have found a few
plans..but looking for more. They don't have to be free plans either.
I simply don't have the time to design anything.

Check out NYW.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
I want to build a six-pack of barrister book cases. I have found a few
plans..but looking for more. They don't have to be free plans either.
I simply don't have the time to design anything.

Lee Valley has some plans for them.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,46158,44554
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,46158,45338

And, I have a four level barrister bookcase you can look at and measure if
you want to drop by for a beer. However, the one I have is well over 100
years old and the hardware for it would likely be much different that what's
available these days. The one I have has all the levels nested on each other
and made out of separate units, like building blocks you'd stack.

The hardware for making the modern version is something that I haven't been
able to source out locally yet. The antique one I have, I could fashion the
hardware myself if I was so inclined.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8 May 2007 20:14:05 -0700, Robatoy wrote:

I want to build a six-pack of barrister book cases. I have found a few
plans..but looking for more. They don't have to be free plans either.
I simply don't have the time to design anything.

As others have mentioned, Norm did one. Episode 13, season 13, I
believe. That ought to be enough to scare you off.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi Rob,

Woodsmith Volume 23/No. 134 (April 2001) has the modular Barister's Bookcase
plans. You can go to www.AugustHome.com and see if that issue is still
available. If not, I'll be happy to loan you mine.

Regards,

Rick

"Robatoy" wrote

I want to build a six-pack of barrister book cases. I have found a few
plans..but looking for more. They don't have to be free plans either.
I simply don't have the time to design anything.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 8, 11:14 pm, Robatoy wrote:
I want to build a six-pack of barrister book cases. I have found a few
plans..but looking for more. They don't have to be free plans either.
I simply don't have the time to design anything.

Issue 149 Wood magazine
http://woodstore.net/babo.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9 May, 04:14, Robatoy wrote:
I want to build a six-pack of barrister book cases.

There are three sorts of barrister's bookcases. Decide what you really
need first, because the effort involved varies dramatically between
them.

Barrister's bookcases are demountable stacking individual shelf units.
Usually open-topped and with a hinged glazed door panel to the front.
The top lid, and plinth are usually additional components.

The true form is designed to make moving between chambers easy (hence
the name). Each bookcase shelf is separate and forms its own shipping
container. There are handles (or at least graspable mouldings on each
end) and most importantly the construction is strong enough to hold
the weight of books when the separate shelves are apart. This style is
commercially quite rare. Usually the door is an "up and over" which
stows in the open space above the books, but below the shelf unit
above it. Typically there's a crude steel strip X-linkage here to stop
the door panel from skewing and jamming (you can make this yourself,
I've not seen them for sale). When making this sort, dovetail the
carcase. The end panels are only attached on two edges and a top
corner so they're almost an unsupported cantilever.

The most common form is demountable but _shouldn't_ be carried around
when full of books - they'll break.Typically you can spot these
because they don't have a top rail along the top front edge - they
rely on the shelf unit above for support. I've seen them fail at the
joints by racking stresses on the cantilevered end panels and even by
twisting of the door causing the glass panes to crack.

The simplest form is just a bookcase with individual doors over each
shelf. It looks cute, but it's extra work to make and a pain to use,
compared to a simple bookcase with a single glazed door. They also
waste height, as each effective shelf thickness must be thick enough
to store a door panel.

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?0113

$10.95 or $500 in Canada

Robatoy wrote:

I want to build a six-pack of barrister book cases. I have found a few
plans..but looking for more. They don't have to be free plans either.
I simply don't have the time to design anything.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 9, 10:11 am, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 9 May, 04:14, Robatoy wrote:

I want to build a six-pack of barrister book cases.

There are three sorts of barrister's bookcases. Decide what you really
need first, because the effort involved varies dramatically between
them.

I am starting to see that. G

Barrister's bookcases are de-mountable stacking individual shelf units.
Usually open-topped and with a hinged glazed door panel to the front.
The top lid, and plinth are usually additional components.

Separate pieces... for sure.
That's what I'm after. Kinda rough and crude, functionality generating
their form. Handles, yup, that's what I remember. The ones I saw, were
like 'church-pew-oak'...if you know what I mean. I want to make them
out of cherry though.
http://tinyurl.com/2sndj7
shows barrister bookcases as whole units, and they convey the 'feel'
of what I'm after.

[snipped clear description]

I'll make the hardware if I have to, but I need some good photographs
or books ( not looking for freebies either)..I'll figure it out from
there. So far, DAGS has yielded very little, so I appreciate your
input. That helped quite a bit.

Thank you,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 8, 11:14 pm, Robatoy wrote:
I want to build a six-pack of barrister book cases. I have found a few
plans..but looking for more. They don't have to be free plans either.
I simply don't have the time to design anything.

Thanks for all the input, Wreckers... I appreciate it... I have a
better idea what it is I'm after...I need pictures of genuine
antiques..I'm DAGS-ing as much as I can....

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
| I want to build a six-pack of barrister book cases. I have found a
| few plans..but looking for more. They don't have to be free plans
| either. I simply don't have the time to design anything.

I have a catalog from VanDyke's Restorers (www.vandykes.com,
1-800-558-1234) in Woonsocket, SD that shows both hardware-only and
complete kits. I've never purchased from them (which may explain why I
have no 2007 catalog) but the photos and descriptions seem at least
decent. You might hit their web site and see what you think.

No affiliation, etc, etc.

HTH

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 10, 10:13 pm, Robatoy wrote:

Ohhh, Andy.. what is that 'snake-like' pattern on this picture? Is
that something done with paint?
http://www.goantiques.com/scripts/im...49.html#image4

heading in the right direction:
http://www.goantiques.com/scripts/im...d,349516.html#

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

Separate pieces... for sure.
That's what I'm after. Kinda rough and crude, functionality generating
their form. Handles, yup, that's what I remember. The ones I saw, were
like 'church-pew-oak'...if you know what I mean. I want to make them
out of cherry though.

If all else fails, I own a stack of those. I didn't build them, they're
genuine old-school. I'd be glad to photograph and measure them.

Barry

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
B A R R Y wrote:

Robatoy wrote:

Separate pieces... for sure.
That's what I'm after. Kinda rough and crude, functionality generating
their form. Handles, yup, that's what I remember. The ones I saw, were
like 'church-pew-oak'...if you know what I mean. I want to make them
out of cherry though.

If all else fails, I own a stack of those. I didn't build them, they're
genuine old-school. I'd be glad to photograph and measure them.

A very generous offer, thank you.
Andy Dingley mentioned dove-tailed sides. I don't own a dove-tail jig,
but I do have a Leigh DVD here...what to do...what to do...EG
Also, our friends at LV have an up-and-over-slide-hinge-thingy which
might work for me....although hardly authentic. (watch the wrap)
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,43614,43620
&ap=1
With all that glass, I doubt it will hide.

onward and upward goeth I.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 10, 10:13 pm, Robatoy wrote:

Ohhh, Andy.. what is that 'snake-like' pattern on this picture? Is
that something done with paint?
http://www.goantiques.com/scripts/im...49.html#image4

Rob... I have that exact bookcase in my home. i inherited it from a great
aunt. If you want additional pic or measurements email me

Posted to rec.woodworking

Stephen M wrote:

Rob... I have that exact bookcase in my home. i inherited it from a great
aunt. If you want additional pic or measurements email me

That's mine, TOO! G Same labels, too.

I have the same cases & top, but a different base.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 11 May 2007 11:33:07 -0400, "Stephen M"
wrote:

I have that exact bookcase in my home.

Macey's. I've no idea why, but half the barristers' bookcases I see are
that same pattern (note the clips on the end for locking adjacent
columns together).

I've even got a stack of three myself, and I'm in the UK.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10 May 2007 19:40:30 -0700, Robatoy wrote:

Ohhh, Andy.. what is that 'snake-like' pattern on this picture? Is
that something done with paint?
http://www.goantiques.com/scripts/im...49.html#image4

No idea what caused the pattern, but I don't think it's deliberate.
Thos clips and strips are steel, electro-plated with copper to allow an
easier and more attractive patination. They're very sensitive to
environmental conditions over time, greasy fingerprints, polishes,
smokey rooms.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

I want to build a six-pack of barrister book cases. I have found a few
plans..but looking for more. They don't have to be free plans either.
I simply don't have the time to design anything.

The Taunton Press book "Bookcases" by Niall Barrett has a chapter on a
barrister bookcase construction.

Blow Molded cases Rick Samuel Woodworking 3 November 5th 06 09:22 PM
BARRISTER BOOKCASES J T Woodworking 1 March 12th 06 03:29 AM
Melamine cases white connor aston Woodworking 11 December 5th 05 01:01 PM
ATA Cases Bruce Barnett Woodworking 5 September 2nd 05 05:32 AM