How to identify pewter

Old August 27th 11, 06:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to identify pewter

I bought seven grey colored, cast metal drinking cups with handles. I
suspect that they may be pewter, but I am not sure. What is the
easiest way to recognize pewter?

They have a cast mark on the bottom, like FTR or HTR.

thanks

Old August 27th 11, 07:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus4705 wrote:

I bought seven grey colored, cast metal drinking cups with handles. I
suspect that they may be pewter, but I am not sure. What is the
easiest way to recognize pewter?

They have a cast mark on the bottom, like FTR or HTR.

thanks

By softness, color and density.

There are chemical tests, but these are not commonly available.

Joe Gwinn
Old August 27th 11, 08:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus4705" wrote in message
I bought seven grey colored, cast metal drinking cups with handles. I
suspect that they may be pewter, but I am not sure. What is the
easiest way to recognize pewter?

They have a cast mark on the bottom, like FTR or HTR.

thanks

You could try a lead test kit.

jsw

Old August 27th 11, 09:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Ignoramus4705" wrote in message

I bought seven grey colored, cast metal drinking cups with handles. I
suspect that they may be pewter, but I am not sure. What is the
easiest way to recognize pewter?

They have a cast mark on the bottom, like FTR or HTR.

thanks

You could try a lead test kit.

jsw

I think pewter containing lead was phased out over 150 years ago for
anything that came in contact with food and replaced with modern pewter,
AKA Britannia metal, so a lead test kit probably wouldn't be of much
use. The typical composition of modern pewter is about 92% tin, 2%
copper, and about 6% antimony, The percentages vary depending on the
application and whether cast or rolled and IIRC the Japanese require
much lower antimony content as they consider it a problem, IIRC they
require 2% or less.
Old August 27th 11, 09:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-27, David Billington wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

I think that an easy test is to just try to melt one cup.

I thought, for a moment, that they may be cast aluminum, because,
though they scratch, they are not nearly as soft as lead. But when I
looked for "cast aluminum cup" on ebay, and saw nothing, I realized that
they do not exist.

Could they be maxde of some other soft, grey metal, like zinc? I would
say that they do not look like "potmetal".

Old August 28th 11, 01:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default PICTURES OF MUGS was: How to identify pewter

On 2011-08-27, DT wrote:
In article ,
lid says...
I bought seven grey colored, cast metal drinking cups with handles. I
suspect that they may be pewter, but I am not sure. What is the
easiest way to recognize pewter?

They have a cast mark on the bottom, like FTR or HTR.

Could the marks be RWP? Anyway, cast bottom marks = modern piece.

http://reviews.ebay.com/RWP-Wilton-A...W0QQugidZ10000
000004569616

I do not think that it could be RWP. It looks more like RTR, HTR, FTP,
or something

I took some pictures:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Cast-Metal-Mugs/

The logo is visible on two large scale pictures.

thanks

Old August 28th 11, 02:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus4705" wrote in message
I bought seven grey colored, cast metal drinking cups with handles. I
suspect that they may be pewter, but I am not sure. What is the
easiest way to recognize pewter?

They have a cast mark on the bottom, like FTR or HTR.

thanks

Measure its density (SG)

Instructions at: http://mendosus.com/sg.html

This won't identify the actual alloy, but it will certainly eliminate a few.
Less then 7.5 (IIRC) means lead-free.

Aluminium = 2.7
Tin = 7.3
Pretty easy to differentiate.
With minimal care you should be able to return two decimal places of SG -
far more than required.

Got and electronic scale and a tub of water?
(What are you waiting for?)

--
Jeff R.

Old August 28th 11, 02:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/27/2011 12:08, Ignoramus4705 wrote:
I bought seven grey colored, cast metal drinking cups with handles. I
suspect that they may be pewter, but I am not sure. What is the
easiest way to recognize pewter?

They have a cast mark on the bottom, like FTR or HTR.

thanks

This may or may not help:

Verification or excess capacity marks

Such marks are designed to confirm the capacity of vessels designed to
hold liquids or verify that they have been checked. From around 1826
until the late 1870s each town had its own verification mark but vessels
of a more recent vintage will contain the standard mark consisting of a
crown, the monarch’s initials and a number code signifying location.

--
Steve Walker
(remove brain when replying)
Old August 28th 11, 03:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-27, DT wrote:
In article ,
lid says...
I bought seven grey colored, cast metal drinking cups with handles. I
suspect that they may be pewter, but I am not sure. What is the
easiest way to recognize pewter?

They have a cast mark on the bottom, like FTR or HTR.

Could the marks be RWP? Anyway, cast bottom marks = modern piece.

http://reviews.ebay.com/RWP-Wilton-A...W0QQugidZ10000
000004569616

I do not think that it could be RWP. It looks more like RTR, HTR, FTP,
or something

I took some pictures:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Cast-Metal-Mugs/

The logo is visible on two large scale pictures.

thanks

Those are cast pewter Abbey Bell Tankards. 1 pint size.
Most of them sell for around 50-100 bucks each. More if they are heavy
and polished.

--
Steve W.

Fixing pewter model TMC[_2_] UK diy 0 April 9th 10 10:51 AM
new Pewter casting web page metalshop Metalworking 0 May 9th 09 12:41 AM
Pewter Potpouri Lids JD[_2_] Woodturning 6 May 10th 08 01:52 PM
OT how do i tell if pewter has lead in it? Laszlo Nemeth Metalworking 8 October 1st 05 04:33 AM
pewter BodhiArts.com Metalworking 3 August 25th 04 05:47 AM