Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default How to identify pewter

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Ignoramus4705" wrote in message

I bought seven grey colored, cast metal drinking cups with handles. I
suspect that they may be pewter, but I am not sure. What is the
easiest way to recognize pewter?

They have a cast mark on the bottom, like FTR or HTR.

thanks

You could try a lead test kit.

jsw

I think pewter containing lead was phased out over 150 years ago for
anything that came in contact with food and replaced with modern pewter,
AKA Britannia metal, so a lead test kit probably wouldn't be of much
use. The typical composition of modern pewter is about 92% tin, 2%
copper, and about 6% antimony, The percentages vary depending on the
application and whether cast or rolled and IIRC the Japanese require
much lower antimony content as they consider it a problem, IIRC they
require 2% or less.