Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Weird stuff -- update -- (was Electronic Kenmore refrigeratornot working, what does this sign mean)

It's really very simple. The fault in Buerste's refrigerator that
mysteriously disappeared when he took it apart (see "Take apart - put
together syndrome" thread) has tunneled into your refrigerator. It's
one of those quantum mechanics things that physicists can write
equations about, but nobody really understands. The best that you can
hope for is that your fault has a propensity for tunneling and that it
will do so & go somewhere else. There is some evidence that taking
apart & putting back together can provoke tunneling.

Good luck,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
It's really very simple. The fault in Buerste's refrigerator that
mysteriously disappeared when he took it apart (see "Take apart - put
together syndrome" thread) has tunneled into your refrigerator. It's
one of those quantum mechanics things that physicists can write
equations about, but nobody really understands. The best that you can
hope for is that your fault has a propensity for tunneling and that it
will do so & go somewhere else. There is some evidence that taking
apart & putting back together can provoke tunneling.

Good luck,
Bob

maybe so, but those kind of equations include eye of newt and ear of frog...

--

Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
It's really very simple. The fault in Buerste's refrigerator that
mysteriously disappeared when he took it apart (see "Take apart - put
together syndrome" thread) has tunneled into your refrigerator. It's
one of those quantum mechanics things that physicists can write
equations about, but nobody really understands. The best that you can
hope for is that your fault has a propensity for tunneling and that it
will do so & go somewhere else. There is some evidence that taking
apart & putting back together can provoke tunneling.

Good luck,
Bob

I don't remember where I got this but it seems to be what you
alluded to.
Art

The Law of Conservation of Bustedness

There's only so much stuff that can be working correctly in the universe at any one
time.

Corollary I - If you fix something, something else will break.
Upon fixing something, "broken" particles are emitted in random directions. These
paths cannot be predicted (Heisenberg's principle) nor controlled. When a "Broken"
particle hits an object, that object will break.

Corollary II - If you break something, something else will fix itself.
Upon something breaking, "Anti-broken" particles are emitted in random directions.
These paths cannot be predicted nor controlled. When an "Anti-Broken" particle hits
an object, that object will fix itself.

Experimental evidence has shown that the mean path length of the "Anti-Broken"
particle is far greater than that of the "Broken" particle. The consequence of this
is that something will break in the near vicinity of something fixed; and something
breaking will cause a distant object to fix itself.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Here's my tentative conclusion on this sad story.

The culprit is a poor design of the fridge, such that

1) It cannot restart with the compressor hot
and
2) It does not wait until the compressor gets cold.

The above could have been corrected with $5 worth of parts and a LED
light.

In addition, the manual is silent about this issue.

Very possibly, the refrigerator was fine all along, and just needed to
rest for an hour before a restart. I cannot positively confirm that
without reusing old parts, one of which I busted during repair, but
this is my feeling.

In any case, I replaced parts, ran it for two minutes, and it would
not restart again 5 minutes later. After waiting for a while, it
restarted just fine.

I consider this to be my education and $34 for parts was a fee.

I will tell people at home about this unplugging technique.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28169 wrote:

Here's my tentative conclusion on this sad story.

The culprit is a poor design of the fridge, such that

1) It cannot restart with the compressor hot

That is the design for efficiency. The compressor motor is sized so it
has just enough power for "running" and as a result does not have enough
power to start against head pressure. As a result, there has to be a
delay before restarting to allow time for the gas pressures to equalize.

and
2) It does not wait until the compressor gets cold.

The above could have been corrected with $5 worth of parts and a LED
light.

Generally they use delay timers and pressure switches. It is possible
that a pressure switch has failed and is allowing the compressor to try
to restart while the head pressure is still high. It is also possible
that there is a faulty component on the control board such as a
super-cap to provide power to time through short power failures. Yet
another possibility is that there is a fault in the system causing
abnormally high head pressure and / or failure of the system pressures
to equalize in the expected time period. Have you cleaned the condenser
coils (outside) and checked the evaporator coils (inside) for icing?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28169 wrote:
Here's my tentative conclusion on this sad story.

The culprit is a poor design of the fridge, such that

1) It cannot restart with the compressor hot
and
2) It does not wait until the compressor gets cold.

The above could have been corrected with $5 worth of parts and a LED
light.

Yup! They've been like this for about 50 years, now!
Very possibly, the refrigerator was fine all along, and just needed to
rest for an hour before a restart.

I tried to tell you this a few days ago.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-03, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus28169 wrote:
Here's my tentative conclusion on this sad story.

The culprit is a poor design of the fridge, such that

1) It cannot restart with the compressor hot
and
2) It does not wait until the compressor gets cold.

The above could have been corrected with $5 worth of parts and a LED
light.

Yup! They've been like this for about 50 years, now!
Very possibly, the refrigerator was fine all along, and just needed to
rest for an hour before a restart.

I tried to tell you this a few days ago.

Jon

Jon, yep, you are right. But the good news is that fridge is not
fried, is back in service, etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 3, 1:19*am, Ignoramus28169 ignoramus28...@NOSPAM.
On 2010-09-03, Jon Elson wrote:

Ignoramus28169 wrote:
Here's my tentative conclusion on this sad story.

The culprit is a poor design of the fridge, such that

1) It cannot restart with the compressor hot
and
2) It does not wait until the compressor gets cold.

The above could have been corrected with $5 worth of parts and a LED
light.

Yup! *They've been like this for about 50 years, now!
Very possibly, the refrigerator was fine all along, and just needed to
rest for an hour before a restart.

I tried to tell you this a few days ago.

Jon

Jon, yep, you are right. But the good news is that fridge is not
fried, is back in service, etc.

i-

On June 28 I wrote concerning an air conditioner:

"When you have it apart and are playing with it, don't turn it off
and
then back on quickly. Like an air compressor they don't start easily
against pressure. I cleaned mine a few days ago, and tested it with a
3750W generator. The normal starting surge read about 10A, but when I
turned it off and back on the ammeter read 25A and it loaded down the
genny and wouldn't run."

When plugged into a wall outlet it also draws 25A and hums without
starting.

After typing that sentence I tried again and it started fine.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-03, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus28169 wrote:
Here's my tentative conclusion on this sad story.

The culprit is a poor design of the fridge, such that

1) It cannot restart with the compressor hot
and
2) It does not wait until the compressor gets cold.

The above could have been corrected with $5 worth of parts and a LED
light.

Yup! They've been like this for about 50 years, now!
Very possibly, the refrigerator was fine all along, and just needed to
rest for an hour before a restart.

I tried to tell you this a few days ago.

Jon, I looked back. You told it to me straight and correctly, but it
was on the next day, when I already bought those parts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28169 wrote:
Jon, yep, you are right. But the good news is that fridge is not
fried, is back in service, etc.

Lucky for you. We have an upright freezer that has the thermistor
starting, and once in a while
it will get into the endless start-failure mode, and we have to unplug
it for 10 minutes. Our
30-year old fridge has the bimetal starting control (unchanged from the
50's) and it will do the
same on occasion. I don't know how long it take to truly fry the
compressor, and don't really care
to find out!

This usually happens after a momentary power glitch, but on the fridge
can happen when the
cycle of the defrost timer happens at the right instant.

Jon