Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is a "audio jack outlet" called?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets

I'm not so sure on the definition of plug and jack you have.
One can have most anything made.

A board of 100 jacks and a phone lady plugging in plugs to make connections.
She was pushing a male plug into the female socket in the wall.

Extension cords have both plugs on one end and sockets on the other.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

John fired this volley in
:

A "Plug" is a cable-mounted connector, regardless of sex, and a "Jack"
is a panel or bulkhead connector, regardless of sex.

That might be what your personal business's colloquialisms are, but
that's not standard usage.

I have cable jacks, and I have bulkhead plugs. The sex is the _only_
thing that matters.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 31, 10:29*pm, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Extension cords have both plugs on one end and sockets on the other.

And according to what I've gleaned from this conversation, both ends
are properly called "Plug." I've been in this business well over
thirty years, and in my experience, a male is a plug and an a female
is a jack, but I suppose I'm not too old to change.

Now, what do we think about people who "Shut on the light?"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets

I'm not so sure on the definition of plug and jack you have.
One can have most anything made.

A board of 100 jacks and a phone lady plugging in plugs to make connections.
She was pushing a male plug into the female socket in the wall.

Extension cords have both plugs on one end and sockets on the other.

There are hermapoditic connectors, like 7 mm RF and Switchcraft 2501
series.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-01, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets

I'm not so sure on the definition of plug and jack you have.
One can have most anything made.

A board of 100 jacks and a phone lady plugging in plugs to make connections.
She was pushing a male plug into the female socket in the wall.

Extension cords have both plugs on one end and sockets on the other.

There are hermapoditic connectors, like 7 mm RF and Switchcraft 2501
series.

And, to go even farther back in time, General Radio used to make
the GR874 series RF connectors for reasonable frequency ranges, and the
GR900BT series for really high (for the day) frequencies.)

O.K. Apparently, Delta still makes 874 compatible connectors.

Here is the end view of an 874 connector:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anachrocomputer/2571135710/

And here for the GR900:

http://www.used-line.com/cgi-bin/TB/view_item.cfm?tb_model_id=52015B090B18

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-01, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote:

[...]

I still have some GR cables.

enough left over to pay them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-01, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[ ... ]

There are hermapoditic connectors, like 7 mm RF and Switchcraft 2501
series.

And, to go even farther back in time, General Radio used to make
the GR874 series RF connectors for reasonable frequency ranges, and the
GR900BT series for really high (for the day) frequencies.)

O.K. Apparently, Delta still makes 874 compatible connectors.

[ ... ]

I still have some GR cables.

And I have a bunch of adaptors from GR-874 to things like
type-N, BNC and even double binding post, as well as some in-line
attenuators and somewhere even a component test enclosure -- a GR-874 on
a plate with a spring-loaded cup over the connection points for the
component.

No GR-900 connectors, however.

Oh yes -- I also have a few unused GR-874 cable connectors (for
RG-58 cable) and the assembly tool kit for them.

What I don't have is the spring ribbons designed to wrap around
a mated pair to keep them from separating.

I have a wavemeter & a microwave attenuator with GR-874 fittings.
There may be a few other things left, too.

How about 'HN' connectors?

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-02, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[ ... ]

I still have some GR cables.

[ ... ]

Oh yes -- I also have a few unused GR-874 cable connectors (for
RG-58 cable) and the assembly tool kit for them.

What I don't have is the spring ribbons designed to wrap around
a mated pair to keep them from separating.

I have a wavemeter & a microwave attenuator with GR-874 fittings.
There may be a few other things left, too.

How about 'HN' connectors?

Not familiar with those -- at least by that name.

O.K. I think that I've seen them -- but never used them, based
on a Google search.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-02, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[ ... ]

I still have some GR cables.

[ ... ]

Oh yes -- I also have a few unused GR-874 cable connectors (for
RG-58 cable) and the assembly tool kit for them.

What I don't have is the spring ribbons designed to wrap around
a mated pair to keep them from separating.

I have a wavemeter & a microwave attenuator with GR-874 fittings.
There may be a few other things left, too.

How about 'HN' connectors?

Not familiar with those -- at least by that name.

O.K. I think that I've seen them -- but never used them, based
on a Google search.

The only place I've ever seen them used was in an early '50s UHF TV
transmitter. I ran across some surplus and pickeD them up. They are
similar to 'N' connectors, but have a higher power rating.

enough left over to pay them.