Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim

Default Did your PLASTIC Ford V8 manifold crack and leak? Get $$$

The court settlement requiring Ford to pay for the repair of your
cracked plastic V8 manifold became final on Dec. 16, 2005.

You metalworking guys (and gals) will be gratified to know that the
replacement manifold is made of good old fashioned... METAL.

If your vehicle is eligible, you have just til Mar. 16, 2006 to apply
for your compensation. Go to your Ford dealer, or see
flamingfords.info, for details. You do not have to have your repair
receipt.

The coverage is for manifolds that failed within 7 years of purchase.
So, you should be relieved to know that it probably wasn't hitting that
pothole that cracked it!.

Please do not be misled by some incorrect info that is "out there," even
on one official site, saying that your vehicle has to be less than 7
years old as of now for it to be eligible. The settlement covers
vehicles all the way back to the 1996 model year - 10 years old.

Jim

Important note: Neither the poster of this message, nor
flamingfords.info, makes any money from the posting of this message.
This message has been provided as a public service to the members of
this newsgroup who also may be owners of late model Fords.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Jim wrote:

[...]

I wonder if GM is going through a similar class action suit on their
plastic intake manifolds....

I recently had to pay about $500 to replace the cracked (or maybe just
warped) plastic intake manifold on my daughter's '98 Olds Cutlass.

The engine just stopped suddenly in traffic and wouldn't even crank
because of hydraulic lock from the antifreeze in one or more cylinders.

Plastics have their place, but in 50 plus years of car ownership I never
had a metal intake manifold fail like that one me.

From what I've read nearly all car manufacturers are now using plastic
manifolds on at least some of their production.

Shoosh....

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

... cracked (or maybe just
warped) plastic intake manifold ...
... wouldn't even crank
because of hydraulic lock from the antifreeze in one or more cylinders.

Antifreeze is circulated in the *manifold*?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

Yes lots of manaifolds have coolant passages in which anti freeze
passes through......

I currently have a 1997 GMC with 350 and its always leaked or should
I say used anti freeze......starting about the time the warranty went
out..Too costly for replacement but the way I understand it I am not a
lone individual with a GM plastic manifold coolant leak either. Mine
best I can tell is not in or around a cylinder, and its going out ther
exhaust which I hear is what most cracked GM manifolds on the 350
does........true or not I don;lt know, but no signs of leaking coolant
externall, none in oil.....

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 16:20:56 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

... cracked (or maybe just
warped) plastic intake manifold ...
... wouldn't even crank
because of hydraulic lock from the antifreeze in one or more cylinders.

Antifreeze is circulated in the *manifold*?

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder! Koi-ahoi mates....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Greg O

The GM 5.7 that typically leak antifreeze leak at any of the four corners of
the intake where it meets the head. The problem is not the manifold, but the
gaskets. Eventually the antifreeze will leak into the oil and if ignored the
lower end, main and rod bearings take a beating. The gaskets are plastic,
with a silicone sealing strip and the plastic cracks letting the silicone
"blow out" causing a leak.
If you are unable to do the good yourself, find ask around for a shade tree
mechanic, or a small one man shop to do it for you. Ignored you are asking
for major problems!
My '93 5.0 leaked, my dad's '97 5.0 leaked, my neighbors '97 5.7 leaked, my
'95 5.7 work truck gaskets failed too. All failed the same! I think all
5.0-5.7's will fail sooner or later!
One company I worked for would run GM vans 300,000-400,000 miles. Some of
those vans had been repaired three times!
Greg

wrote:
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

... cracked (or maybe just
warped) plastic intake manifold ...
... wouldn't even crank
because of hydraulic lock from the antifreeze in one or more
cylinders.

Antifreeze is circulated in the *manifold*?

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )
-----------oOOo(_)oOOo---------------

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder! Koi-ahoi mates....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wayne mak

I realize the lack of power with my ford 300 CI six cylinder sucks, but it
has none of these issues, go ahead pass me now, but if you are leaking
coolant I will catch up and pass you some day. Thats like a sales promo for
the imports.

wrote:
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

... cracked (or maybe just
warped) plastic intake manifold ...
... wouldn't even crank
because of hydraulic lock from the antifreeze in one or more
cylinders.

Antifreeze is circulated in the *manifold*?

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )
-----------oOOo(_)oOOo---------------

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder! Koi-ahoi mates....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 16:20:56 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Bob
Engelhardt quickly quoth:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

... cracked (or maybe just
warped) plastic intake manifold ...
... wouldn't even crank
because of hydraulic lock from the antifreeze in one or more cylinders.

Antifreeze is circulated in the *manifold*?

Yes, distributing coolant to the valve area of the heads to prevent
warpage for one thing.

--
A lot of folks can't understand how we came
to have an oil shortage here in America.

Well, there's a very simple answer...nobody
bothered to check the oil; We just didn't
know we were getting low.

The reason for that is purely geographical
- our OIL is located in Alaska, California,
Oklahoma and Texas.

Our DIPSTICKS are located in Washington, DC.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Greg O

"wayne mak" wrote in message
I realize the lack of power with my ford 300 CI six cylinder sucks, but it
has none of these issues, go ahead pass me now, but if you are leaking
coolant I will catch up and pass you some day. Thats like a sales promo for
the imports.

I had a Ford 300 six once, as did my dad and my neighbor. None of us were at
all impressed! Give me a 5.7 Chevy any day! The Ford got maybe 1 MPG better,
but going down the highway the 5.7 will smoke it, empty or loaded!
I have never had a small block Chevy make me walk, but that 300 did a couple
times!
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Jim wrote:

[...]

I have. The 2.8 V6 used in S10s, Citations, Celebrities etc had a weak
spot in the rear water jackets where the aluminum manifold fit the head.
When it corroded through it dumped water into the lifter valley.
Mine happened at 217K miles. Killed an otherwise excellent engine in
less than 30 miles.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Greg O

"wayne mak" wrote in message
Not saying its at all fast but 200,000 miles and all its had done is oil.

Common for all the Chevy small block engines I have had. When I get rid of a
car or pickup they always have over 200,000 miles generally with nothing
more than regular service. Seems the trannys are good for 150,000-175,000 is
all. The '95 Chevy van I drove as a company truck needed a timing chain at
250,000 miles and was still going at 350,000 although oil consumption was
getting to more than a quart per 1000 miles. One 5.7 I owned personally had
265,000 on it when I sold it and all that had been done was to replace valve
cover gaskets.

My ford 300 needed the lower end rebuilt at 75,000. My dad's made it until
125,000. My neighbor did a total rebuild at 100,000 on his 300, but think
he could have dropped a set of bearings in it and run it, but he tends to
error to the save side! I could name off a few more people's poor
experiences with the 300 too.
I realize that many people love the 300, but for some reason I know more
people that were not to impressed by them than liked them!
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

i own a 97 sierra with 103000 miles. about a month ago i replaced my
gaskets for the same reason.what a pain in the ass.pay a mechanic if
you have the $$$ its well worth it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 01:14:57 -0600, "Greg O"
wrote:

"wayne mak" wrote in message
[...]

I average 290,000 miles on the 3.0 Ford..which of course is a
different engine.

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin

Leak Ender 2000 Mikey Home Repair 15 January 20th 06 03:29 AM
flat roof leak, eek! Ben Gold Home Repair 11 April 3rd 05 03:44 PM
Stopping Leak in Concrete Water Reservoir ?? James Home Repair 9 March 22nd 05 06:09 AM