Need Help with Quincy Air Compressor!

Old April 20th 05, 04:49 AM
JB

Default Need Help with Quincy Air Compressor!

Hi Guys,

I got my hands on a 1972 80 gallon 2 stage compressor. The pump is a Quincy
model 325 13. I understand that this is the compressor on their QR series
machines. It is in great shape, has a 5 HP Single Phase Motor and a
magnetic starter. All the wiring has been removed.

Here are some questions I hope you can help me with:

What order does the unit get wired in? Is it line voltage to - pressure
switch to magnetic starter to motor?

What kind of oil should I use?

It is missing the air filter assembly, where can I purchase a new one?

Where would I get repacement drive belts?

My sincerest thanks.

Joe...

Old April 20th 05, 01:35 PM
Bugs

JB wrote:
Hi Guys,

I got my hands on a 1972 80 gallon 2 stage compressor. The pump is a

Quincy
model 325 13. I understand that this is the compressor on their QR

series
machines. It is in great shape, has a 5 HP Single Phase Motor and a
magnetic starter. All the wiring has been removed.

Here are some questions I hope you can help me with:

What order does the unit get wired in? Is it line voltage to -

pressure
switch to magnetic starter to motor?

What kind of oil should I use?

It is missing the air filter assembly, where can I purchase a new

one?

Where would I get repacement drive belts?

My sincerest thanks.

Joe...

The wiring is pretty straightforward. Two legs of the 220 V. from the
breaker box go to the two line poles on the mag starter. You need to
identify the voltage for the starter coil. It ccould be 110 or 220 v.
One leg off the line terminal goes to the overload switches [series] on
the mag switch, then the pressure switch, then the starter coil. From
the starter coil the other wire goes to neutral if it's 120 v.,
otherwise goes to the other side of the line for 220 v. DO NOT PUT AN
OVERRIDE MANUAL SWITCH around the pressure switch. If it gets left on,
the compressor could blow up the tank and kill people. Hopefully there
is a pressure relief valve somewhere.
I have a clear drawing from a book I published that I can send you if
this is all too confusing.
Bugs

Old April 20th 05, 11:32 PM
JB

Thanks Tom. I found a machinery dealer who carries replacement hardware.
$24.00 plus shipping and that includes the filter.

Thanks again.

Joe..

Old April 24th 05, 05:49 PM
Tom Gardner

Once you are up and running, try to remember where you left the Quincy, I
haven't seen my three for a long time...I hope somebody is maintaining them.

Quincy Compressor JB Metalworking 4 April 21st 05 01:30 AM
Quincy QT-5 Air Compressor [email protected] Metalworking 5 March 5th 05 07:06 AM
Quincy Compressor from Harbor Freight/ToolsPlus Marty Woodworking 5 June 1st 04 05:08 AM
Sears air compressor starting problem Barry Criner Home Repair 0 July 13th 03 10:39 PM
Sears air compressor starting problem Barry Criner Home Ownership 0 July 13th 03 10:39 PM