Florida Plastic film windows

Old February 9th 05, 05:51 PM
daveyjones

Default Florida Plastic film windows

I have a Florida room that has several plastic film type windows that
are mounted in aluminum frames. Several have to be replace.
each window is 52x20,I brought the plastic film (dark) and the spline.
Now Ive done screened windows before but this plactic is very difficult
to work with,I keep getting wrinkles on the film here and there.
I tried to do the longest sides first(52) then finish with the 20"
sides....still wrinkles.
Im using a large plastic wheel to insert the spline into the grooves.
Is there some trick to getting all this right???

--
daveyjones
daveyjones's Profile: http://homerepairforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=48

Old February 9th 05, 07:28 PM
m Ransley

Use a hammer and chisel and Krazey Glue, or liquid nails. Why didnt you
get the red and Blue window film. If you need dark cut up a bunch of 55
gallon trash bags, pull tight , no wrinkles

Old February 9th 05, 08:25 PM
Philip Lewis

daveyjones writes:
Now Ive done screened windows before but this plactic is very difficult
to work with,I keep getting wrinkles on the film here and there.

[...]
Is there some trick to getting all this right???

Try working from the center of each side out.
I would do the long side centers first, then short side centers.
Now that you have the "+" pattern, start working on the upper portions
of the long sides. Stay in sync on each side. (don't do all of one
side, then all of the other.)
once you are most of the way to the top, un/redo the short side center
and work your way out to the corners along that end.

Repeat for the bottom.

I did this for the spline based winter window film and had good luck
with it.

Good luck, I hope you have good results!

--
be safe.
flip

Old February 10th 05, 12:19 AM
daveyjones

Now makes a lotta sense..let me try that tomorrow....
Will get back to ya..
Thanks

Old January 11th 14, 07:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair

replying to daveyjones, david wrote:
daveyjones.1k7872 wrote:

I have a Florida room that has several plastic film type windows tha
are mounted in aluminum frames. Several have to be replace.
each window is 52x20,I brought the plastic film (dark) and the spline.
Now Ive done screened windows before but this plactic is very difficul
to work with,I keep getting wrinkles on the film here and there.
I tried to do the longest sides first(52) then finish with the 20
sides....still wrinkles.
Im using a large plastic wheel to insert the spline into the grooves.
Is there some trick to getting all this right??
--
daveyjone
daveyjones's Profile:

http://homerepairforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=4
View this thread: http://homerepairforums.org/forums/s...ead.php?t=7442
This post was submitted via http://www.HomeRepairForums.or

I have been searching everywhere for the products to repair my windows and
have found nothing. Do you remember where you purchased the plastic?

Old January 11th 14, 08:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair

daveyjones.1k7872 wrote:

[...]

I bought some of this film at Lowes. It has the reflective coating
that, like windows, should keep heat in and cold out and reverse.
Also found it very difficult to apply to glass without crease and
bubbles but where I have it, window panes along door with gauze curtain,
it does not look bad. It also appears to work as intended, i.e. area is
not as cold in winter or as hot in summer.

Plastic sheets can also be purchased and cut to fit window frames.
I did this for a basement window accidentally broken by kids kicking
balls in the yard.

Old January 11th 14, 10:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Frank , david wrote:
frankdotlogullo wrote:

I bought some of this film at Lowes. It has the reflective coating
that, like windows, should keep heat in and cold out and reverse.
Also found it very difficult to apply to glass without crease and
bubbles but where I have it, window panes along door with gauze curtain,
it does not look bad. It also appears to work as intended, i.e. area is
not as cold in winter or as hot in summer.
Plastic sheets can also be purchased and cut to fit window frames.
I did this for a basement window accidentally broken by kids kicking
balls in the yard.

Thank you for your response. The type I am talking about does not apply to
glass, but is in fact in the frame as a window and there is no glass. It
goes on with a spline like screen.

Plastic windows ? [email protected] Home Repair 7 December 31st 04 08:08 PM
Steel windows versus plastic double-glazed Mike Mitchell UK diy 11 July 12th 04 12:54 AM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Cleaning Plastic Display Windows Joe Electronics Repair 5 November 26th 03 04:04 PM
[OT] Car insurance craziness The Q UK diy 173 August 2nd 03 10:58 PM