Jim Beaver

Default Air Condition-Bathroom sink connection???

Okay, this is weird. After days of very cold weather for Southern
California, it's gotten fairly warm here. My air conditioning kicked in
today. I noticed that whenever it's on, there's a sound emanating from my
bathroom sink drain. It sounds like water lightly gurgling somewhere down
the pipe. It stops instantly when the air conditioning cycles on and starts
again when the a.c. does. I ran water down the drain and there was no
noticeable effect on the sound. I've lived in this house for a year -- it's
basically a new house. I never noticed anything remotely like this before,
until today.

What the hey?

Jim Beaver

BGBevill

Okay, this is weird. After days of very cold weather for Southern
California, it's gotten fairly warm here. My air conditioning kicked in
today. I noticed that whenever it's on, there's a sound emanating from my
bathroom sink drain. It sounds like water lightly gurgling somewhere down
the pipe. It stops instantly when the air conditioning cycles on and starts
again when the a.c. does. I ran water down the drain and there was no
noticeable effect on the sound. I've lived in this house for a year -- it's
basically a new house. I never noticed anything remotely like this before,
until today.

What the hey?

Jim Beaver

My guess is your a/c drain is tied into that sink drain somewhere and the trap
in the a/c drain is not completely full of water. If so, the noise should stop
when the a/c makes enough water to fill the trap.

Bobby
Speedy Jim

BGBevill wrote:

[...]

New house = plastic drain piping.
Water dripping almost anywhere inside the drain will be audible
whether the trap is full or not.
Probably not a concern.

Jim

Stormin Mormon

You need to call a priest.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim Beaver" wrote in message
. com...
Okay, this is weird. After days of very cold weather for Southern
California, it's gotten fairly warm here. My air conditioning kicked in
today. I noticed that whenever it's on, there's a sound emanating from my
bathroom sink drain. It sounds like water lightly gurgling somewhere down
the pipe. It stops instantly when the air conditioning cycles on and starts
again when the a.c. does. I ran water down the drain and there was no
noticeable effect on the sound. I've lived in this house for a year -- it's
basically a new house. I never noticed anything remotely like this before,
until today.

What the hey?

Jim Beaver

TURTLE

"Jim Beaver" wrote in message
. com...
Okay, this is weird. After days of very cold weather for Southern California,
it's gotten fairly warm here. My air conditioning kicked in today. I noticed
that whenever it's on, there's a sound emanating from my bathroom sink drain.
It sounds like water lightly gurgling somewhere down the pipe. It stops
instantly when the air conditioning cycles on and starts again when the a.c.
does. I ran water down the drain and there was no noticeable effect on the
sound. I've lived in this house for a year -- it's basically a new house. I
never noticed anything remotely like this before, until today.

What the hey?

Jim Beaver

This is Turtle.

Run the unit for a day or so and if it does not stop. Install a P-Trap in the
water drain from the evaperator coil to the sewer system or in your can to the
bathroom sink.

TURTLE

PJx

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 07:34:36 GMT, "Zypher" wrote:

BGBevill's got it right. It's likely the condensate drain runs through the
wall to the trap under the sink in the bathroom [not a new idea, done all
the time in California.] After the air conditioning runs enough to fill
[it's] trap in the attic, the air will stop going down the drain.

My AC (in the attic) drains the condensate into the bathtub overflow
drain. You can hear the drip while sitting in the tub and may think
there is a serious leak in your walls.

PJ

Samiel

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 01:45:04 GMT, "Jim Beaver"
wrote:

Okay, this is weird. After days of very cold weather for Southern
California, it's gotten fairly warm here. My air conditioning kicked in
today. I noticed that whenever it's on, there's a sound emanating from my
bathroom sink drain. It sounds like water lightly gurgling somewhere down
the pipe. It stops instantly when the air conditioning cycles on and starts
again when the a.c. does. I ran water down the drain and there was no
noticeable effect on the sound. I've lived in this house for a year -- it's
basically a new house. I never noticed anything remotely like this before,
until today.

What the hey?

Jim Beaver

I have the same problem (I think)!