donald girod

Default furnace blower stuck running

If there's a relay to control the fan motor, then that's the problem.
Sometimes the control is solid state, but in any case, that's where the
problem is.

"AC/DCdude17" wrote in message
.. .
I've a gas furnace of unknown make, model and have an AC installed as
well. It connects to a thermostat through a four wire configuration.
The whole setup is about 13 years old. The thermostat have three settings
like the average thermostat. A/C(Red, yellow and green shorted),
heat(red, white and green shorted) and there's a switch labeled auto/on
that let's you turn on the blower manually(red and green shorted).

Every once in a while, furnace blower keeps running after turning off
after using fan only and only when I use fan only. I thought it was a
problem in the thermostat, so I pulled it out of the socket. Fan
continued to whir.

I measured the voltage across green and red and read 24V as the fan
continued to run, so it's clear that there isn't a short in control
wiring.

To shut it off, I'll have to short red and green a few times with a
paperclip at the thermostat socket and fan eventually turns off.

If I don't do this, it contiues to run forever. I can also do the same
shorting technique to get the blower stuck running. My assumption is that
pulsating the control terminals turns it off by jiggling the stuck
terminals apart.

Is there anything I should suspect beside the mechanical relay?

Noon-Air

[...]

You should suspect that we can't tell you anything about your system without
seeing it. Make/model/serial numbers help, but still not enough information.
You shou should also suspect that you will find a local, *competent*,
licensed, professionally trained, HVAC technician in your Yellow Pages.

TAB Dude

Could be a couple of things. You need a meter. If no meter call a tech.

TAB Dude

TAB Dude

Could be a couple of things. You need a meter. If no meter call a tech.

TAB Dude

kjpro

"TAB Dude" wrote in message
You need a meter. If no meter call a tech.

TAB Dude

In favor of the OP.

Read the post again.........he measured the 24v across the stat wires.
So, I believe he'd have to have a meter. :-)

--
kjpro
_-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-_

( kjpro @ starband . net ) remove spaces to e-mail

Want it done yesterday? Or done right today, to save money tomorrow!!

_________________________ __

TAB Dude

Your right... A Good multi meter. The conditions you describe is indeed a
control issue, but most likely not your t-stat. you will need a meter that
will do milli amps. At best you will isolate the fault, see a burnt contact
and say "Oh!". More likely you will narrow the problem down to two possible
issues. At this point you will call atech or change parts. If you have a
$10.00 analoge meter from Sears, it will not do. Happy hunting!

TAB Dude

CBHvac

"AC/DCdude17" wrote in message
.. .

..Clueless garbage about an unknown unit snipped.

Is there anything I should suspect beside the mechanical relay?

Let your fingers do the walking and locate someone in your area that knows
what in hell he is doing?

kjpro

"LS" wrote in message
**** off.. mindless idiots like you waste bandwidth.

My furnace does the same thing. There is a dial on the furnace that is
spring loaded. When I tap it the fan stops. I blew it out with compressed
air and it's worked ever since. It was a very legitimate questions and

had
no need for a retard like yourself to reply with your drivel.

Oh, bright one, tell me how in the hell that the fan/limit control is going
to fix this guys problem.

Be very specific, so we can tell how it's related to the relay that is
likely going BAD!

Oh, you can't tell us.........eh? Then STFU!!

Goodbye. :-)

--
kjpro
_-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-_

( kjpro @ starband . net ) remove spaces to e-mail

Want it done yesterday? Or done right today, to save money tomorrow!!

_________________________ __

Oval

Sorry for the snips and dip.

In respnose to THIS:

If my intention was to make someone else rich, I would have already
done so.
Thanks for your pointless advise.

In article , AC/DCdude17
wrote:

I've a gas furnace of unknown make, model and have an AC installed as
well.

I have useless advice, and not even the solution, so we're on a good
start already.

It connects to a thermostat through a four wire configuration.
The whole setup is about 13 years old.

Sounds old already, most AC units have thermostat wire running to the
equipment. We are still working on wireless stats.

The thermostat have three settings
like the average thermostat. A/C(Red, yellow and green shorted)

So you saying you have a dead short between R-Y-G
standard circuit for cooling? If it was short then it would be off,
hence "short".
,
heat(red, white and green shorted) and there's a switch labeled auto/on
that let's you turn on the blower manually(red and green shorted)

Heat---hmmmm R-W-G standard config for heat? Again with the
shorting..I hate short's, how bout you?

Every once in a while, furnace blower keeps running after turning off
after using fan only and only when I use fan only. I thought it was a
problem in the thermostat, so I pulled it out of the socket. Fan
continued to whir.

Oh yeah , thats what I would have done...

I measured the voltage across green and red and read 24V as the fan
continued to run, so it's clear that there isn't a short in control
wiring.

Yes, thats why it's usually printed on most 24VAC
transformers..uh....24VAC

To shut it off, I'll have to short red and green a few times with a
paperclip at the thermostat socket and fan eventually turns off.

Oh yeah, Thats would I would have done.....

If I don't do this, it contiues to run forever. I can also do the same
shorting technique to get the blower stuck running. My assumption is that
pulsating the control terminals turns it off by jiggling the stuck
terminals apart.

That the best diagnosis I have heard all week. Nothing Pulsates,
jiggles, or sticks, if you have well maintained equipment.
Someone answered you're question:

Noon-Air wrote:

You shou should also suspect that you will find a local, *competent*,
licensed, professionally trained, HVAC technician in your Yellow Pages.

If my intention was to make someone else rich, I would have already
done so.
Thanks for your pointless advise.

Is there anything I should suspect beside the mechanical relay?

No you need to call someone in the phone book under"A", for Air
Conditioning. Or what I should do is tell you what's wrong and let you
spend twice the amount of money at Radio Shack and Home Depot?

Have a nice Day?
Oval

pjm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 22:59:25 -0400, "CBHvac"
wrote:

"LS" wrote in message
**** off.. mindless idiots like you waste bandwidth.

My furnace does the same thing. There is a dial on the furnace that is
spring loaded. When I tap it the fan stops.

Then guess what?
Its not supposed to work like that...and do you know what the limits are?
That "dial thing" is called a fan limit switch, and unlike you, Paul knows
how it works.
Why it works, and how to properly repair one.

Sheet, next thing, he'll want someone to explain the
difference between a spring and a piece of coiled bimetal to him.....

New HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's !! http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Free demo now available online !!!!
--
Free superheat charts for 38 Ref's online at http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm/
My personal site is at http://www.pmilligan.net

CBHvac

wrote:

"LS" wrote in message
**** off.. mindless idiots like you waste bandwidth.

My furnace does the same thing. There is a dial on the furnace that is
spring loaded. When I tap it the fan stops.

Then guess what?
Its not supposed to work like that...and do you know what the limits are?
That "dial thing" is called a fan limit switch, and unlike you, Paul

knows
how it works.
Why it works, and how to properly repair one.

Sheet, next thing, he'll want someone to explain the
difference between a spring and a piece of coiled bimetal to him.....

How about limits and why its got at least TWO temp settings to adjust?
Altho...we wont go into that..LOL

New HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's !! http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Free demo now available online !!!!
--
Free superheat charts for 38 Ref's online at http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm/
My personal site is at http://www.pmilligan.net

kjpro

wrote:

"LS" wrote in message
**** off.. mindless idiots like you waste bandwidth.

My furnace does the same thing. There is a dial on the furnace that

is
spring loaded. When I tap it the fan stops.

Then guess what?
Its not supposed to work like that...and do you know what the limits

are?
That "dial thing" is called a fan limit switch, and unlike you, Paul

knows
how it works.
Why it works, and how to properly repair one.

Sheet, next thing, he'll want someone to explain the
difference between a spring and a piece of coiled bimetal to him.....

How about limits and why its got at least TWO temp settings to adjust?
Altho...we wont go into that..LOL

But, this one only has 4 wires.......not 3....**** i forgot to clip the
jumper!! :-)

New HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's !! http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Free demo now available online !!!!
--
Free superheat charts for 38 Ref's online at

http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm/
My personal site is at http://www.pmilligan.net

--
kjpro
_-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-_

( kjpro @ starband . net ) remove spaces to e-mail

Want it done yesterday? Or done right today, to save money tomorrow!!

_________________________ __

CBHvac

"kjpro" ( kjpro @ starband . com ) see-my-sig-for-e-mail wrote in message
. net...

wrote:

"LS" wrote in message
[...]

Got a better one..you know the ones that have 110 and 24 VAC on em?
Now..picture someone taking one out, and crossin da wires...
Yea..see that alot.

New HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's !! http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Free demo now available online !!!!
--
Free superheat charts for 38 Ref's online at

http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm/
My personal site is at http://www.pmilligan.net

--
kjpro
_-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-__-~-_

( kjpro @ starband . net ) remove spaces to e-mail

Want it done yesterday? Or done right today, to save money tomorrow!!

_________________________ __

Noon-Air

"LS" wrote in message
**** off.. mindless idiots like you waste bandwidth.

My furnace does the same thing. There is a dial on the furnace that is
spring loaded. When I tap it the fan stops. I blew it out with compressed
air and it's worked ever since. It was a very legitimate questions and

had
no need for a retard like yourself to reply with your drivel.

Consider this "drivel", *anybody* that messes with a safety limit switch
that obviously doesn't know what it is or what it does, needs to get his
head examined.... because now not only has he voided *any* warrenty that
might be on his furnce, but has also voided his homeowners insurance. You
must have been blessed at birth to be able to take chances like that with
your home and your family's lives.

The advice I gave is correct, and I still stand by it. If you choose to
ignore it, then the consequences are on you.

--
Steve @ Noon-Air Heating and A/C

If your not gonna like the answer, don't ask the question.