Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What are non-magnetic screws made of?

Some of the screws I use are not attracted to magnets. What are they
made of?

The last bunch were heavy duty sheet metal screws, that came with a
license plate frame, and I kept dropping them behind the grill, and the
way the plastic bumper is made, they don't fall out. And my magnet on
a stick didn't work!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 09:25:26 -0400, micky wrote:

Some of the screws I use are not attracted to magnets. What are they
made of?

The last bunch were heavy duty sheet metal screws, that came with a
license plate frame, and I kept dropping them behind the grill, and the
way the plastic bumper is made, they don't fall out. And my magnet on
a stick didn't work!

Stainless probably. You should use nylon screws and nuts for license plates.
I used one set for the lifetimes of 2 cars - about 15 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Some of the screws I use are not attracted to magnets. What are they
made of?

The last bunch were heavy duty sheet metal screws, that came with a
license plate frame, and I kept dropping them behind the grill, and the
way the plastic bumper is made, they don't fall out. And my magnet on
a stick didn't work!

Most likely stainless steel, but also possibly plated brass ot
aluminum.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky posted for all of us...

Some of the screws I use are not attracted to magnets. What are they
made of?

The last bunch were heavy duty sheet metal screws, that came with a
license plate frame, and I kept dropping them behind the grill, and the
way the plastic bumper is made, they don't fall out. And my magnet on
a stick didn't work!

Most likely non-magnetic stainless steel. DAGS on that if you need more
info.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 16:59:56 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

Most likely non-magnetic stainless steel. DAGS on that if you need more
info.

Some SS can be magnetic. Maybe he has brass screws?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

Most likely non-magnetic stainless steel. DAGS on that if you need more
info.

Some SS can be magnetic. Maybe he has brass screws?

Don't know and he ain't saying. They could be aluminum for all we know.

--
Tekkie