Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Online video instructions

After moving 3 times and ending back at home with her mother, my niece
has stored her waterbed in my living room. That is a whole nother
story. Anyway we had a heck of a time putting that bed together the
first time. The first time, we got the frame on backwards. Before
moving it the second time, I marked left, right, top, bottom on all
the parts so it will go back together right next time.

Anyway..........it sure would be nice if manufacturers would put
assembly instructions in video format on the web.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2011 16:55, Metspitzer wrote:

Anyway..........it sure would be nice if manufacturers would put
assembly instructions in video format on the web.

Documentation is a big expense for manufacturers. Would you be willing
to pay more for such a service? What if the manufacturer goes out of
business?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
After moving 3 times and ending back at home with her mother, my niece
has stored her waterbed in my living room. That is a whole nother
story. Anyway we had a heck of a time putting that bed together the
first time. The first time, we got the frame on backwards. Before
moving it the second time, I marked left, right, top, bottom on all
the parts so it will go back together right next time.

Anyway..........it sure would be nice if manufacturers would put
assembly instructions in video format on the web.

Hi,
Did you peruse Youtube? Many most video instructions are there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 18:18:51 -0700, Bob wrote:

On 8/2/2011 16:55, Metspitzer wrote:

Anyway..........it sure would be nice if manufacturers would put
assembly instructions in video format on the web.

Documentation is a big expense for manufacturers. Would you be willing
to pay more for such a service? What if the manufacturer goes out of
business?

Really? So you are saying that taking a video of someone assembling
an item as they set it up on a show room floor would add a significant
cost to the item?

Youtube would be happy to get how to videos and display them for free.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 19:26:12 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:
After moving 3 times and ending back at home with her mother, my niece
has stored her waterbed in my living room. That is a whole nother
story. Anyway we had a heck of a time putting that bed together the
first time. The first time, we got the frame on backwards. Before
moving it the second time, I marked left, right, top, bottom on all
the parts so it will go back together right next time.

Anyway..........it sure would be nice if manufacturers would put
assembly instructions in video format on the web.

Hi,
Did you peruse Youtube? Many most video instructions are there.

No. The waterbed is going to get sold this time. Having an assembly
video would be nice to have to go with the bed being sold.

Youtube does not have any useful hits for water bed assembly. The
measurements for the center cross piece from the wall would be a handy
piece of info.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2011 18:26, Metspitzer wrote:

Really? So you are saying that taking a video of someone assembling
an item as they set it up on a show room floor would add a significant
cost to the item?

Yes, it would, especially when having to assume liability for someone
who injures himself while trying to work with tools while watching a video.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 19:55:07 -0400, Metspitzer wrote:
Before
moving it the second time, I marked left, right, top, bottom on all the
parts so it will go back together right next time.

Next time, do that the first time ;-)

Anyway..........it sure would be nice if manufacturers would put
assembly instructions in video format on the web.

It's not easy to print out a video and take it to wherever you need it,
though. I'd say just mark parts - like you did - for anything that looks
complex or looks to be badly made (such that it might not reassemble well
unless in the exact same configuration). Taking photos with a digital
camera is sometimes useful, too.

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote in
news
After moving 3 times and ending back at home with her mother, my niece
has stored her waterbed in my living room. That is a whole nother
story. Anyway we had a heck of a time putting that bed together the
first time. The first time, we got the frame on backwards. Before
moving it the second time, I marked left, right, top, bottom on all
the parts so it will go back together right next time.

Anyway..........it sure would be nice if manufacturers would put
assembly instructions in video format on the web.

Not that you had the original opportunity but when I dissassemble anything
like that, where practical, small piece of masking tape at mating parts
marked A & A, B & B, etc. The writing orientation will also give
orientation of the pieces.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote in
:

Metspitzer wrote in
news
After moving 3 times and ending back at home with her mother, my
niece has stored her waterbed in my living room. That is a whole
nother story. Anyway we had a heck of a time putting that bed
together the first time. The first time, we got the frame on
backwards. Before moving it the second time, I marked left, right,
top, bottom on all the parts so it will go back together right next
time.

Anyway..........it sure would be nice if manufacturers would put
assembly instructions in video format on the web.

Not that you had the original opportunity but when I dissassemble
anything like that, where practical, small piece of masking tape at
mating parts marked A & A, B & B, etc. The writing orientation will
also give orientation of the pieces.

....also, I take lots of digital pics of stuff. I KNOW I'll never need
them...but I always do. Now in the process of replacing all the wood on one
of those large garden carts.

Wait, was this overlapping that or was it...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote the following:
Red Green wrote in
:

Metspitzer wrote in
news

[...]

When I had my house built in 1984, besides my full time job, I worked
part-time as a carpenter for a General Contractor, working on my days
and hours off from my regular job. I hired that GC to build my house.
Since I also worked for him, I got paid for working on my own house. Of
course, he and the others went home at 5 PM, which ended my pay period,
but I and some friends continued working until dark
After the interior was all framed out and all the pipes and wiring was
installed in the walls, but before the insulation and sheetrock were
applied. I walked through the entire house with a video recorder and
recorded all the locations of everything that would be covered by the
sheetrock, which would include wiring and plumbing paths, ductwork, and
wood blocking, etc. It came in handy a few times when I made alterations
over the years.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY