Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet Shims - Hard or Soft

MAY be using them soon. At the Borg they had hard plastic and softer rubber
(soft like a door stop wedge). Flooring will be vinyl.

When is each appropriate?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 9:38*am, Red Green wrote:
MAY be using them soon. At the Borg they had hard plastic and softer rubber
(soft like a door stop wedge). Flooring will be vinyl.

When is each appropriate?

I have seen plumbers use pennys on vinyl so I'd guess hard for vinyl.
Was there shims previously? I've never had a use for them myself.
The one toilet I had that rocked a little on tile I took a hand
grinder to the bottom of until it sat still.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 25, 8:38*am, Red Green wrote:
MAY be using them soon. At the Borg they had hard plastic and softer rubber
(soft like a door stop wedge). Flooring will be vinyl.

When is each appropriate?

Why not make your own from a partial tile? Use your HF angle grinder
to soften/shape the edges...

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

jamesgangnc wrote in
:

On Jan 25, 9:38*am, Red Green wrote:
MAY be using them soon. At the Borg they had hard plastic and softer
rubb

er
(soft like a door stop wedge). Flooring will be vinyl.

When is each appropriate?

I have seen plumbers use pennys on vinyl so I'd guess hard for vinyl.
Was there shims previously? I've never had a use for them myself.
The one toilet I had that rocked a little on tile I took a hand
grinder to the bottom of until it sat still.

No shims before. Not needed. Toilet was in with LAG bolts. Well, not really
in. I took them out of the rotten subfloor with my fingers.

Not really sure if I will even need them. Just a thought that came up when
the shim possibility came into play.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote in
:

On Jan 25, 8:38*am, Red Green wrote:
MAY be using them soon. At the Borg they had hard plastic and softer
rubb

er
(soft like a door stop wedge). Flooring will be vinyl.

When is each appropriate?

Why not make your own from a partial tile? Use your HF angle grinder
to soften/shape the edges...

Joe

There only a couple of bucks for a pack. No special trip for them. Why F-
around wasting time. Grinder slips and carves slot in finger/hand.

ER Doc: What were you doing?
RG: Savin' a buck ninety-eight... +tax.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 14:38:55 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

MAY be using them soon. At the Borg they had hard plastic and softer rubber
(soft like a door stop wedge). Flooring will be vinyl.

When is each appropriate?

Don't know the answer. I've used the hard plastic shims once. They
worked fine (concrete/tile). Then I'm asking myself: why can't I use
a cedar shim?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 09:50:17 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:

Why not make your own from a partial tile?

The reason I wouldn't is because tile can be dangerous. It can cut
from here to Sunday.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 20:55:26 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

Why not make your own from a partial tile? Use your HF angle grinder
to soften/shape the edges...

Joe

There only a couple of bucks for a pack. No special trip for them. Why F-
around wasting time. Grinder slips and carves slot in finger/hand.

ER Doc: What were you doing?
RG: Savin' a buck ninety-eight... +tax.

ER Doc: Well, don't do that. See me early next week to remove the
sutures.
RG: Okay Doc, until then I'll wrap them in Duct Tape.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 14:17:58 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 09:50:17 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:

Why not make your own from a partial tile?

The reason I wouldn't is because tile can be dangerous. It can cut
from here to Sunday.

They're also easy to break, particularly after being cut into a thin wedge. A
hunk of plastic is better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

MAY be using them soon. At the Borg they had hard plastic and softer rubber
(soft like a door stop wedge). Flooring will be vinyl.

When is each appropriate?

Don't know the answer. I've used the hard plastic shims once. They
worked fine (concrete/tile). Then I'm asking myself: why can't I use
a cedar shim?

moisture, grasshopper. The bottom of a toilet is no place for wood. use
the plastic EZ-Shims.