Eyeglass lens cleaner

Old April 11th 09, 12:45 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Eyeglass lens cleaner

Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

Thanks

--

Walter
www.rationality.net

Old April 11th 09, 12:54 AM posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Walter R." wrote:
Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

I've been using Windex on my eyeglasses for, oh, thirty or forty years, and it
doesn't seem to have done any harm.
Old April 11th 09, 01:01 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message
Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

Thanks

--

Walter
www.rationality.net

The original Windex has ammonia in it. I wouldn't be too fast to put it on a
coated lens.

Old April 11th 09, 01:09 AM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

Walter R. wrote:
Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

Definitely a no-no for mine, anyway--depends on what the coating is.

I use a little mild liquid soap (not detergent).

Old April 11th 09, 01:16 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Walter R. wrote:
Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

Definitely a no-no for mine, anyway--depends on what the coating is.

I use a little mild liquid soap (not detergent).

I use plain water, and soft dishtowel.
Old April 11th 09, 01:18 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message
Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

Thanks

--

I just lather up my hands with bathroom soap, wet the glasses and gently rub
both sides of the lenses and the frame, rinse, wipe gently with clean soft

Old April 11th 09, 01:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 8:09*pm, dpb wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

Definitely a no-no for mine, anyway--depends on what the coating is.

I use a little mild liquid soap (not detergent).

--

I just use running tap water and then dry with a soft towel. If I
were using a cleaner, I'd use a gentle one, like liquid soap, Simple
Old April 11th 09, 01:34 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message
Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

I usually clean mine while waiting in line at a department store.

Just use saliva to wet, and the person's coat in front of you to dry.

Old April 11th 09, 01:55 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message
Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

Thanks

--

Walter
www.rationality.net

This on the advice of our optician .

Liquid dishwashing soap. It cleans the oil from fingerprints, doesn't leave
a residue and is very mild.

Charlie

Old April 11th 09, 02:14 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Walter R." wrote:
Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

I've been using Windex on my eyeglasses for, oh, thirty or forty years, and it
doesn't seem to have done any harm.

'Bout 30 years ago, I asked the grad student at the optometry school who
was doing the final fitting on my new glasses, exactly what they did
with them after they vanish in back room for five minutes, before
handing them to me all shiny in their case. 'Cleaning them', he said.
'With what?', I asked, envisioning some exotic ultrasonic cleaner. His
sheepish admission- plain old Joy dish soap and warm water, and dry with
a lint-free lab wipe. Ever since then, I always ask the McEyedoctor
people, after I turn down the five-dollar chamois towel and special
drops they try to sell me, what they actually use in the back room. Most
of them admit is it just dish soap.

Think about it- most of the grunge on your glasses comes off your face,
unless you are spraypainting or something. What do you clean your face
with? Gentle soap. Don't need any abrasives or solvents (and some of the
fancy coatings are easy to damage)- you just need something that will
dissolve body oils into solution so they can be rinsed away.

Free hint- NEVER lean over a campfire or backyard cleanup fire wearing
coated glasses. Those fancy coatings are NOT heat resistant, and they
will alligator in seconds. C'mon, ask me how I know that.

--
aem sends....