Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

Default GE XL1800 MicroWave

I have a GE XL 1800 over the range Microwave that has stopped heating.

When you start it, it hums for a 1/2 second and then all noise
(associated with heating) stops. All else works control panel, light,
turntable.

I have seen a lot of discussion that talks about the magnatron and the
Diode.

According to the GE manual the magatron is warranted for 10 years,
excluding labor.

Does anyone have any experience with this model of Microwave oven ?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, I had that monster. The magnatron is guaranteed as you say. I was
lucky to have a service policy on my house and appliances at the time
mine went bad otherwise they wanted $250.00 labor to replace the
magnetron. If I had to pay that much, I'd throw the whole unit out and
but another one.

sid wrote:
I have a GE XL 1800 over the range Microwave that has stopped heating.

When you start it, it hums for a 1/2 second and then all noise
(associated with heating) stops. All else works control panel, light,
turntable.

I have seen a lot of discussion that talks about the magnatron and the
Diode.

According to the GE manual the magatron is warranted for 10 years,
excluding labor.

Does anyone have any experience with this model of Microwave oven ?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

sid wrote:
I have a GE XL 1800 over the range Microwave that has stopped heating.

When you start it, it hums for a 1/2 second and then all noise
(associated with heating) stops. *All else works control panel, light,
turntable.

I have seen a lot of discussion that talks about the magnatron and the
Diode.

According to the GE manual the magatron is warranted for 10 years,
excluding labor.

Does anyone have any experience with this model of Microwave oven ?

Thanks- Hide quoted text -

I have read a lot of complaints about it on-line, but I wanted to know
if anyone had experience fixing it them selves.
How did your home warranty pay for the labor on the appliance ?

I would think the problem is either the diode or the magatron, anybody
have anything like a service manual ?
Your post says 'had', do you still have it ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

sid wrote:
[...]

I lived in Florida at the time. There are many service companies down
there that repair the AC, Heater, Electrical, Plumbing and appliances
for a yearly fee.
Can you replace the magnetron yourself? It took an experienced repairman
2 1/2 hours and a lot of cussing.
Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

sid wrote:
[...]

2 1/2 hours and a lot of cussing.- Hide quoted text -

Replace the magnatron ? Yes, and the other posts state to replace the
diode as well.
When I had the cover off, I saw something the looked like a 1w diode
just above the power transformer.
If I had a service manual it would be nice to know what voltages to
look for or what size and/or replacement diode I would need.