Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Electrical Switch question

I have an attic fan that I would like to control either via the
thermostat or manually. I'd like to connect a single pole, triple
throw or single pole, center off switch (SPTT/SPCO) to control the
fan. Does anyone make something like this that would look ok for a
home wall installation? Most I've seen look like a hobby electrical
kit's toggle switch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 1:33*pm, Jason wrote:
I have an attic fan that I would like to control either via the
thermostat or manually. *I'd like to connect a single pole, triple
throw or single pole, center off switch (SPTT/SPCO) to control the
fan. *Does anyone make something like this that would look ok for a
home wall installation? *Most I've seen look like a hobby electrical
kit's toggle switch.

Doesn't the thermostat have settings for On, Off ,Auto?

If not, get one that does.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Jason wrote:
I have an attic fan that I would like to control either via the
thermostat or manually. I'd like to connect a single pole, triple
throw or single pole, center off switch (SPTT/SPCO) to control the
fan. Does anyone make something like this that would look ok for a
home wall installation? Most I've seen look like a hobby electrical
kit's toggle switch.

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...US&item=321 7

although the note of the integral switch in the thermostat control would
be a good solution, albeit perhaps more expensive...

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...ex=10026:22372....

--

Even though I suggested the 3 position switch in the thermostat, I
guess I can see a situation where a remote "overide" switch, say in a

The user could turn the fan on or off without having to walk to the
thermostat - he would just need to make sure he put it back into
"normal" mode when leaving that remote location or he'd be walking
back to the switch if he wanted to let the thermostat take control.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Jason wrote:
I have an attic fan that I would like to control either via the
thermostat or manually. I'd like to connect a single pole, triple
throw or single pole, center off switch (SPTT/SPCO) to control the
fan. Does anyone make something like this that would look ok for a
home wall installation? Most I've seen look like a hobby electrical
kit's toggle switch.

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...US&item=321 7

although the note of the integral switch in the thermostat control would
be a good solution, albeit perhaps more expensive...

--
You can get single pole double throw center off switches that look like
standard wall switches, but I believe I've only seen them in 30 amp. In any

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

RBM wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
Jason wrote:
I have an attic fan that I would like to control either via the
thermostat or manually. I'd like to connect a single pole, triple
throw or single pole, center off switch (SPTT/SPCO) to control the
fan. Does anyone make something like this that would look ok for a
home wall installation? Most I've seen look like a hobby electrical
kit's toggle switch.

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...US&item=321 7

You can get single pole double throw center off switches that look like
standard wall switches, but I believe I've only seen them in 30 amp. In any
event, they were expensive

The above link is the Decora style, I presume they also make a
traditional-switch version one as well but didn't look specifically.

5685-2T

Description
15 Amp-120/277 Volt AC. Single-Pole, double throw, center OFF, back and
side wired maintained contact switch rocker. Light Almond

I doubt it's particularly expensive altho I didn't try pricing it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
RBM wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
Jason wrote:
[...]

--How's this for cheap:
http://www.onestopbuy.com/5685-2T-13...Fqxwodpnj tDg

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

RBM wrote:

--How's this for cheap:
http://www.onestopbuy.com/5685-2T-13...Fqxwodpnj tDg

About 2-3X what I had figured...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
RBM wrote:

--How's this for cheap:
http://www.onestopbuy.com/5685-2T-13...Fqxwodpnj tDg

About 2-3X what I had figured...

--

That "center off" has $$$$ written all over it!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 10:33:17 -0700 (PDT), Jason
wrote:

I have an attic fan that I would like to control either via the
thermostat or manually. I'd like to connect a single pole, triple
throw or single pole, center off switch (SPTT/SPCO) to control the
fan. Does anyone make something like this that would look ok for a
home wall installation? Most I've seen look like a hobby electrical
kit's toggle switch.

I suppose they make it, but I think it would be cheaper, but more
versatile to use two switches, and they make those that fit into a
single box, and they use a receptacle face plate since each switch is
the same shape as a receptacle thingy.

That's what I have, and I use it quite often.

One switch turns the fan on even when the thermostat would keep it
off, and one switch turns the fan off even when the thermostat would
keep it on. The normal position, that relies on the thermostat is
for one switch to be off and the other on. I turned the whole thing
sideways so that one switch is next to the other, instead of above.

One 3 conductor cable from the fan/thermostat is enough to run both
switches.

This is for a roof fan, but similar issues face other fans. They
recommended being able to turn the fan on when a lot of showers put
too much humidity in the attic. I don't do that, but it was 10
minutes extra to put in the second switch. I turn the fan
completely off in the fall when it's cold enough that I like to get
the attic hot from sunlight. Then some of the heat in the attic heats
the house. I leave it that way until spring.

Lately I think my thermostat is broken, so I turn the fan off 7 or 8
PM, and I used to hear it go on about 10 in the morning, but I've been
waiting until 3 to turn it on (when I remember). This might be
misleading because the last 10 days in Baltimore haven't been very hot
or humid. Unusual for August. Maybe if the temp were in the upper
80's or 90's I'd want to turn the fan on by 10, but I'm beginning to
think maybe not until 1.

Most people would remember, but I forget little things very easily so
I used an indelible marker to make a line on each switch, so both
lines show when the switches are in the normal position.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

RBM wrote:
That "center off" has $$$$ written all over it!!

Seems strange (altho that one is listed as a commercial model) that it
would be that much more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think $55 is a little much for a switch, so I like the two switch
option. My thermostat is in the attic with little ability to get up
there regularly, so that's why I want the remote switch. Of course,
after the first couple of weeks, I'll probably never touch the
override again and just let the thermostat handle it.
I found a double switch for $9. Thanks for all your help!!!