Posted to alt.home.repair

Default boiler problem

My hot water tank started leaking last night and my basement was a
pool of water. I closed off the water supply into the house, as well
as the cold water tap that is right on the tube leading into the tank,
but the water continued to seep out of the tank all night long. The
quantity of water that has come out of the tank seems to be more than
it should hold. Is turning off the water supply sufficient? Where is
the water coming from?

Botticelli
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 04:30:05 -0700, Botticeli wrote:

My hot water tank started leaking last night and my basement was a pool
of water. I closed off the water supply into the house, as well as the
cold water tap that is right on the tube leading into the tank, but the
water continued to seep out of the tank all night long. The quantity of
water that has come out of the tank seems to be more than it should
hold. Is turning off the water supply sufficient? Where is the water
coming from?

Botticelli

Just because you closed a water valve, does not necessarily mean the
valve will shut off the water *completely*. The rubber gasket (washer?)
may have been eaten away by the flow of water over time. There are (and
will be) other causes of valves not closing fully when needed.

All the water that was in pipes will also drain out (pipes that went from
the tank to where the water was used.)

If you find a leak, get the garden hose out and do a full drain
(controlled) of the tank yourself. Only when the tank is drained can you
isolate the source of any extra water trying to fill the tank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 6:30 am, Botticeli wrote:
My hot water tank started leaking last night and my basement was a
pool of water. I closed off the water supply into the house, as well
as the cold water tap that is right on the tube leading into the tank,
but the water continued to seep out of the tank all night long. The
quantity of water that has come out of the tank seems to be more than
it should hold. Is turning off the water supply sufficient? Where is
the water coming from?

Botticelli

If you have been running water in any faucets, some of that water
could be traveling across the faucet in draining out the heater.

What does this have to do with your boiler?

JK

Boiler Problem Denn013 UK diy 3 April 2nd 07 03:28 PM
My Boiler Problem [email protected] UK diy 2 December 5th 06 03:51 PM
Gas Boiler Problem raden UK diy 3 April 16th 06 05:05 PM
Boiler Problem? [email protected] Home Repair 4 December 17th 05 06:36 PM
boiler problem.... UK diy 0 June 3rd 04 02:04 PM