Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How much do propane tanks weigh?

The barbeque sized ones; about how much are they full and empty?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jack" wrote in message
. ..
The barbeque sized ones; about how much are they full and empty?

Just guessing, but another way to see how much is left is to observe the
condensation on the outside of the tank after the grill's been on for a
little while. If the humidity's so low that you observe no condensation,
feel the tank carefully and notice where the cold begins.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The MT weight is stamped on the jug. the full weight is the MT weight plus
the capacity.

"jack" wrote in message
. ..
The barbeque sized ones; about how much are they full and empty?

Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

jack wrote:

The barbeque sized ones; about how much are they full and empty?

Look for the letters "TW" (tare weight) stamped near the top of the tank.
Right after that is stamped the empty weight in pounds.
The barbecue sized tanks are nominally 20 pound capacity tanks,
which means that you can put in slightly less that 20 pounds of
propane.

Typical numbers might be (YMMV): 19 pounds empty, 38 pounds full.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jack wrote:

The barbeque sized ones; about how much are they full and empty?

My tank holds about 5lbs of propane. I don't know its empty weight but you
should be able to websearch that.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 3, 9:08*am, "jack" wrote:
The barbeque sized ones; about how much are they full and empty?

If it really matters, the next time you have an empty tank, take the
bathroom scale outside and set the tank on the scale. When you fill
it, weigh it again. If your scale won't function at that low weight
step on the scale holding the tank, subtract your weight from the
reading, repeat with filled tank. HTH

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 3, 10:08*am, "jack" wrote:
The barbeque sized ones; about how much are they full and empty?

Just curious - why do you want to know?

Really - just curious - the answer could be interesting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Jul 3, 10:08 am, "jack" wrote:
The barbeque sized ones; about how much are they full and empty?

Just curious - why do you want to know?

Really - just curious - the answer could be interesting.
----------------------------
I had two tanks in my garage. They felt too heavy to be empty, but not
heavy enough to be full. Turns out my "arm scale" is wrong; the bathroom
scale says they are empty.
Full now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

std "grill/BBQ" tank aka 5 gal or 20 lb tank

17 lb to 18 lb empty, 35-40 lb "full"

add 4.24 lbs per gallon in the tank, 4.8 gal is about the
limit with an OPD valve. Need space at top of tank for
expansion on hot days.

tricks, use electronic platform scale, place empty tank, hit
"zero", get it filled and read how many pounds remain, +/-
if tank temp is hot or cold. we use this on our small shop
heater tank.

-- larry/dallas
Posted to alt.home.repair

The TW number is "tare weight", or empty weight.

The full weight, is that plus 16 pounds, for the twenty pounders. I'll
admit, I don't know the actual numbers.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"S. Barker" wrote in message
news The MT weight is stamped on the jug. the full weight is the MT weight plus
the capacity.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SRN SRN is offline

"jack" wrote in message
. ..
The barbeque sized ones; about how much are they full and empty?

The last one I had that was empty weighed exactly 17 lbs. 14 oz. on my
refrigerant scale which is fairly accurate. The new one weighed 37 lbs. 4.5
oz. full, and the tare weight is listed as 17 lbs. Which gives a net of 20
lbs and 4.5 oz. of propane which is interesting because it's sold as 17 lbs.
net weight, as many exchange cylinders are now (Blue Rhino, etc.).

Posted to alt.home.repair
SRN SRN is offline

OOPS..my math is off.....37 lbs. 4.5 oz. minus 17 lbs. 14 oz. is net weight
of 19 lbs. 6.5 oz. :-(

"SRN" wrote in message

"jack" wrote in message
. ..
The barbeque sized ones; about how much are they full and empty?

The last one I had that was empty weighed exactly 17 lbs. 14 oz. on my
refrigerant scale which is fairly accurate. The new one weighed 37 lbs.
4.5 oz. full, and the tare weight is listed as 17 lbs. Which gives a net
of 20 lbs and 4.5 oz. of propane which is interesting because it's sold as
17 lbs. net weight, as many exchange cylinders are now (Blue Rhino,
etc.).

Posted to alt.home.repair
SRN SRN is offline

Here's an interesting link on filling propane cylinders and how much a
cylinder holds, water capacity, tare weight, etc.
http://www.propane101.com/propanecylinderfilling.htm

"SRN" wrote in message
OOPS..my math is off.....37 lbs. 4.5 oz. minus 17 lbs. 14 oz. is net
weight of 19 lbs. 6.5 oz. :-(

"SRN" wrote in message

"jack" wrote in message
. ..
The barbeque sized ones; about how much are they full and empty?

The last one I had that was empty weighed exactly 17 lbs. 14 oz. on my
refrigerant scale which is fairly accurate. The new one weighed 37 lbs.
4.5 oz. full, and the tare weight is listed as 17 lbs. Which gives a net
of 20 lbs and 4.5 oz. of propane which is interesting because it's sold
as 17 lbs. net weight, as many exchange cylinders are now (Blue Rhino,
etc.).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Totally useful information. Thanks.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"SRN" wrote in message
Here's an interesting link on filling propane cylinders and how much a
cylinder holds, water capacity, tare weight, etc.
http://www.propane101.com/propanecylinderfilling.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jack" wrote in message
. ..
The barbeque sized ones; about how much are they full and empty?

There is TARE or just a T stamped on the collar (handle). That is the tare
weight, or the weight of the empty container. The contents are rated at
pounds, but sold as gallons, so add it up. Propane weighs approximately 4.2
pounds per gallon according to Wikipedia. Or take a bathroom scale, and
weigh the tank. Use a calculator and subtract tare weight. Or ask your kid
to do the math for you.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

. ..

On Jul 3, 10:08 am, "jack" wrote:
The barbeque sized ones; about how much are they full and empty?

Just curious - why do you want to know?

Really - just curious - the answer could be interesting.
----------------------------
I had two tanks in my garage. They felt too heavy to be empty, but not
heavy enough to be full. Turns out my "arm scale" is wrong; the bathroom
scale says they are empty.
Full now.

I have found that it is always good to know how full/empty they are before
taking them in, just so you know you aren't being overcharged. Some places,
too, have a minimum charge. With gas prices going up, no sense paying even
more.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SRN" wrote in message

"jack" wrote in message
. ..
The barbeque sized ones; about how much are they full and empty?

The last one I had that was empty weighed exactly 17 lbs. 14 oz. on my
refrigerant scale which is fairly accurate. The new one weighed 37 lbs.
4.5 oz. full, and the tare weight is listed as 17 lbs. Which gives a net
of 20 lbs and 4.5 oz. of propane which is interesting because it's sold as
17 lbs. net weight, as many exchange cylinders are now (Blue Rhino,
etc.).

It's deceiving. IF the geek fills your tank by the book, they don't fill it
to 100%, but rather 80 or 85 to allow for thermal expansion if the tank gets
hot. This coupled with filling a partially full tank, and trying to do the
math on the fly with those meters that all seem to be ancient can give some
questionable answers.

They usually ask two questions ...... you want it ........ or not?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ya, and so if the tank is not empty when you take it to them, you are just
ripping your self off. Since they charge a flat fee for a #20, or a #30
etc. etc.

wrote in message

they use a scale when filling propane tanks.
Set the tank on the scale, note it's weight and then fill it until it
reaches
it's "full" weight, which is stamped on the tank. Very complicated.

Sheesh.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 09:21:41 -0500, "S. Barker"
wrote:

Ya, and so if the tank is not empty when you take it to them, you are just
ripping your self off. Since they charge a flat fee for a #20, or a #30
etc. etc.

sold by the gallon here

Well, duh. Point is, they don't use "complicated instruments" as
claimed by someone else.

They actually sell a "gas gauge" for 20 pound BBQ tanks. It's a
foolish thing to buy for a few reasons. You can buy a second tank for
about the same cost as the gauge.

Actually, it's near a constant pressure until the last few
drops of liquid is used. The liquid "boils" off until the
vapor pressure reaches 51 to 172 psi in the tank, depending
on liquid temperature (32 to 100 degrees F range shown) See
"(S)tandard(T)emperature(P)ressure" in a chemistry book. A
pressure gauge would make a much better thermometer. ;-)
Weight or depth of liquid in tank is best way of determining
if you will make it thru that last steak.

wrote in message

they use a scale when filling propane tanks.
Set the tank on the scale, note it's weight and then fill it until it
reaches
it's "full" weight, which is stamped on the tank. Very complicated.

empty (tare) weight is stamped on the tank, add 80%(20%
vapor space) of 4.24 (lb/gal) times 5 (gal) to tare for a
full tank weight. The (O)verfill(P)rotection(D)evice valve
is a float in the tank that shuts off the valve when the
liquid reaches its maximum safe full level. Filling a tank
is easy, connect supply hose, and fill until the flow stops.
Charge for the gallons on the gauge (usually around 4.2
gal) or a flat 5 gal refill fee. ;-)

Sheesh.

Be safe, several years ago, two 20 gallon "stove" tanks
laying flat in the back of a pickup in the hot Texas sun
exploded like missiles. Appeared the tanks were improperly
filled, with no vapor space for expansion.

-- larry/dallas

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, duh. Point is, they don't use "complicated instruments" as
claimed by someone else.

I have eight tanks at two houses, three at one house, and two at a cabin.
Sometimes I have taken up to eight of them in to be filled. Sometimes on
the rentals, I will pull a tank when it's low so it doesn't run out while
the guest is there and I'm out of town. When you get eight tanks filled,
how does one keep track of how much has gone into each? And how does the
geek know if he is filling to the suggested 80-85%?

On one tank fills, it's pretty easy to get it close. After that, going
through eight tanks, and using up to 35 gallons, I think the only way to
properly fill is by weight. The rolling numbers will tell the eventual
grand total, but only weight will tell you how much is in a partial that
you're adding to. PLUS, sometimes if they're flat empty some suppliers will
refuse to fill unless they perform an additional purge. (translates $)

So, although filling tanks isn't up to rocket trajectory mathematics, it is
not really simple. Well, it really is, but most of today's idiots don't
have a clue. And I hate to stand there and wonder if this guy is
overfilling or even knows what he's doing. Yes, they do have the overflow
screw to tell them, but do you like to be standing out there with all that
gas around, and a couple of tons more in the tank? I don't.

Whatever winds yer clock. I actually prefer fillers who have "complicated
equipment". Their help is better than some pimply little girl who's had
fifteen minutes training and a ten minute attention span.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 3, 10:08*am, "jack" wrote:
The barbeque sized ones; about how much are they full and empty?

Just an FYI update...

I typically go with Blue Rhino replacements from Walmart, but I was in
a hurry and bought an AmeriGas replacement at Home Depot.

Here's the info from the tanks & labels:

Blue Rhino

- Tare Weight - 17.0 lbs
- Net Weight - 17.0 Lbs Propane

AmeriGas

- Tare Weight - 17.5 lbs
- Net Weight - 15.0 Lbs Propane

I don't recall the exact prices, but I can just about guarantee that
the Home Depot price wasn't 13% percent cheaper!