Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toro 22" Walk-Behind Lawnmower: Bolt Size & Type Question For Blade

Hi,

Surprisingly, the Manual or Parts List doesn't specify.

Anyone happen to know the type and size of the bolt that holds the blade on
for a Toro 22" Recyler Model of walk behind mower ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 26, 10:44*am, "Robert11" wrote:
Hi,

Surprisingly, the Manual or Parts List doesn't specify.

Anyone happen to know the type and size of the bolt that holds the blade on
for a Toro 22" Recyler Model of walk behind mower ?

Thanks,
Bob

why not sharpen the old one and use the old bolt
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,

Hard for me to really re-sharpen, and then re-balance, it myself, at my age.

The re-sharpening costs for someplace to do it are not all that different
than a new blade from Lowe's, somewhat surprisingly.

Guess we really do live in a throw away society.

Want to get a dedicated socket wrench for the bolt removal, hence my trying
to find the bolt size.

Regards,
Bob
----------------------

"ransley" wrote in message
On May 26, 10:44 am, "Robert11" wrote:
Hi,

Surprisingly, the Manual or Parts List doesn't specify.

Anyone happen to know the type and size of the bolt that holds the blade
on
for a Toro 22" Recyler Model of walk behind mower ?

Thanks,
Bob

why not sharpen the old one and use the old bolt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 26, 11:44*am, "Robert11" wrote:
Hi,

Surprisingly, the Manual or Parts List doesn't specify.

Anyone happen to know the type and size of the bolt that holds the blade on
for a Toro 22" Recyler Model of walk behind mower ?

Thanks,
Bob

Surprisingly, the Manual or Parts List doesn't specify

I'm not surprised at all. If they list the size, users would go to
Lowes and buy 'em from them. By not listing it by anything other than
a Toro part number, they'll get many more people buying it from them.
Sure, they won't get *everyone* buying it from them, but since it cost
them exactly nothing to *not* tell you what size it is, any direct
sales they get is at maximum profit.

If you're looking to match the head size for a socket, take the
current one off with an adjustable wrench and take it with you when
you to buy your new blade.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's very easy to re-sharpen the Toro blade if you have the proper
tools: grinder, a blade balance cone, a light touch, and a cheap
torque wrench. It takes about 5 minutes, maybe 10 minutes the first
time. A sharp mower blade will help prevent disease and moisture loss
to your lawn. I usually sharpen mine twice a year.

"ransley" wrote in message
On May 26, 10:44 am, "Robert11" wrote:
Hi,

Surprisingly, the Manual or Parts List doesn't specify.

Anyone happen to know the type and size of the bolt that holds the blade
on
for a Toro 22" Recyler Model of walk behind mower ?

Thanks,
Bob

why not sharpen the old one and use the old bolt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
On May 26, 10:44 am, "Robert11" wrote:
Hi,

Surprisingly, the Manual or Parts List doesn't specify.

Anyone happen to know the type and size of the bolt that holds the blade
on
for a Toro 22" Recyler Model of walk behind mower ?

Thanks,
Bob

why not sharpen the old one and use the old bolt- Hide quoted text -

I wonder how many blades you could buy if you didn't already own a
grinder, a blade balance cone, a light touch, and a cheap torque
wrench.

BTW, is it OK if I use my fairly-reasonably-priced torque wrench? I
don't have a cheap one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
Hi,

Surprisingly, the Manual or Parts List doesn't specify.

Anyone happen to know the type and size of the bolt that holds the blade
on for a Toro 22" Recyler Model of walk behind mower ?

Thanks,
Bob

I do not know about your specific mower but most of mine seem to have taken
a 9/16 inch wrench. The bolt head is likely to be worn and rusted, in which
case a 6 point socket wrench works better. It can take a lot of force to
loosen so you might need a long handle and a good way to keep the blade from
turning. They make a little clamp which connects to the edge of the deck to
hold the blade.

Take the plug wire off and be careful. Get some help if it doesn't want to
come loose.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 9:14 pm, "Don Young" wrote:
"Robert11" wrote in message

. .. Hi,

Surprisingly, the Manual or Parts List doesn't specify.

Anyone happen to know the type and size of the bolt that holds the blade
on for a Toro 22" Recyler Model of walk behind mower ?

Thanks,
Bob

I do not know about your specific mower but most of mine seem to have taken
a 9/16 inch wrench. The bolt head is likely to be worn and rusted, in which
case a 6 point socket wrench works better. It can take a lot of force to
loosen so you might need a long handle and a good way to keep the blade from
turning. They make a little clamp which connects to the edge of the deck to
hold the blade.

Take the plug wire off and be careful. Get some help if it doesn't want to
come loose.

Don Young

Using a C-clamp on the deck of the mower to prevent the blade from
turning works for me. Most bolts are 9/16 head and 3/8X28 thread(?)
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Don Young, khamba99 wrote:
9/16 inch wrench

9/16 inch wrench doesn't work. Dont post if you are not sure.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...-f-308973-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

That was 8 years ago, I hope he has it fixed before now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/22/2016 10:29 PM, wrote:
That was 8 years ago, I hope he has it fixed before now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He bought an adjustable but then found it was metric so he went back for
a metric adjustable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to pheeh.zero, channelcat wrote:
Really needs to be a 3/8"-24 (grade 8 very important) not 3/8"-28. I'm not
sure if anyone even makes a 3/8"-28 bolt.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...-f-308973-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Jan 2017 12:44:03 GMT, channelcat
m wrote:

replying to pheeh.zero, channelcat wrote:
Really needs to be a 3/8"-24 (grade 8 very important) not 3/8"-28. I'm not
sure if anyone even makes a 3/8"-28 bolt.

Some of the special stuff uses 28 pitch to ensure nobody replaces
with an inferior bolt, They only make the correct replacement part out
of the right materials.