Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Another Track Lighting Question

Sorry to be a bother again.

I am still researching track heads. I have the linear track, but want
to go from a Halogen light to an LED light. Most of all, I would like a
more modern fixture.

I am finding out that most track heads are of no use once the LED light
burns out. The entire fixture needs to be replaced. From what I am
told, the average LED will last 32,000 hours, or 35 years. There is no
warranty either. I love the thought of never climbing another ladder to
the top of my cathedral ceiling to change a light bulb.

With my luck, the LED would burn out in a year.

So, would you purchase 13 fixtures where the LED light cannot be
replaced once it burns out, and there is no warranty?

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Kate

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
Sorry to be a bother again.

I am still researching track heads. I have the linear track, but want
to go from a Halogen light to an LED light. Most of all, I would like a
more modern fixture.

I am finding out that most track heads are of no use once the LED light
burns out. The entire fixture needs to be replaced. From what I am
told, the average LED will last 32,000 hours, or 35 years. There is no
warranty either. I love the thought of never climbing another ladder to
the top of my cathedral ceiling to change a light bulb.

With my luck, the LED would burn out in a year.

So, would you purchase 13 fixtures where the LED light cannot be
replaced once it burns out, and there is no warranty?

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Kate

Hi,
If your only reason is ladder climbing, you can hire hand man.
My reason going for LED is to save $$ hopefully. I saw LEDs with
two pins sticking out for connection similar to Halogen. There ought
to be a track similar to Halogen ones.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
Sorry to be a bother again.

I am still researching track heads. I have the linear track, but want
to go from a Halogen light to an LED light. Most of all, I would like a
more modern fixture.

I am finding out that most track heads are of no use once the LED light
burns out. The entire fixture needs to be replaced. From what I am
told, the average LED will last 32,000 hours, or 35 years. There is no
warranty either. I love the thought of never climbing another ladder to
the top of my cathedral ceiling to change a light bulb.

With my luck, the LED would burn out in a year.

So, would you purchase 13 fixtures where the LED light cannot be
replaced once it burns out, and there is no warranty?

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Kate

Hi,
If your reason is climbing ladder, you can hire handy man of ask friend.
My reason trying out LED bulbs is to save some $$. If test batch I
installed at various locations in/out of the house last pretty good,
I am switching to LED all the way. Currently I installed Phillips, GE
brands, skipping Feit, Cree.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate writes:
Sorry to be a bother again.

I am still researching track heads. I have the linear track, but want
to go from a Halogen light to an LED light. Most of all, I would like a
more modern fixture.

I am finding out that most track heads are of no use once the LED light
burns out. The entire fixture needs to be replaced. From what I am
told, the average LED will last 32,000 hours, or 35 years. There is no
warranty either. I love the thought of never climbing another ladder to
the top of my cathedral ceiling to change a light bulb.

With my luck, the LED would burn out in a year.

So, would you purchase 13 fixtures where the LED light cannot be
replaced once it burns out, and there is no warranty?

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Get a track fixture that takes PAR-20 bulbs, and buy 120v PAR-20 LED's
for the fixtures.

Or use this:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware...,70322&p=70323

or

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware...,70322&p=70326
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 13, 2014 12:14:41 AM UTC-4, Kate wrote:
Sorry to be a bother again.

I am still researching track heads. I have the linear track, but want

to go from a Halogen light to an LED light. Most of all, I would like a

more modern fixture.

I am finding out that most track heads are of no use once the LED light

burns out. The entire fixture needs to be replaced. From what I am

told, the average LED will last 32,000 hours, or 35 years. There is no

warranty either. I love the thought of never climbing another ladder to

the top of my cathedral ceiling to change a light bulb.

With my luck, the LED would burn out in a year.

So, would you purchase 13 fixtures where the LED light cannot be

replaced once it burns out, and there is no warranty?

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Kate

Personally, with my experience of CFLs lasting no where near
their claimed life, I wouldn't be buying 13 of them for
anything. It also depends on how much power other solutions
use and how many hours the bulbs are actually in use. do
the math, figure out how much it costs you to run them. Factor
in that if an incadescent is dimmed, it's not running at full
power cost.