Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
mg mg is offline

Default Installing a Window A/C Unit Outside a Shed

I have a shed with extremely small windows that I use mostly for
storage, but I do have a small area with a work-bench, etc. I also
have a window-mount air-conditioner that I received from a friend
basically free (on a trade). The unit is probably old, but my friend
said it hadn't been used much. This is not an evaporative cooler, by
the way. It's a regular, 220-Volt air conditioner.

I'm planning on building a stand for it (out of treated lumber) next
to an outside wall of the shed and even putting a little roof over it.
Then I'll route the air through the wall of the shed using a round air
duct(s) -- Maybe use an 8 or 10-inch duct(s), I guess.

I'm a complete novice with A/C and the front bezel is missing from the
air-conditioner, so I'm not sure exactly how it works. I assume that
the top area of the unit intakes air and the bottom outputs air. So,
I'm wondering if I need two separate ducts or if I can simply run
everything through one duct? If I use two separate ducts, does it
matter if the ducts are physically close together inside the shed?
Could I simply set it up to suck air from outside the shed and then
open a window?

The air conditioner is much, much larger than what I actually need.
It's rated at 28000 BTU and the shed is about 300 square feet with
open rafters and very little insulation and 4 small air vents in the
roof. I don't use the shed a lot, maybe 20 or 30 hours a year. So, the
electric bill isn't an issue. In the hot weather, like we're having
now though, the shed gets close to 100 degrees, So, I would like to be
able to cool it and cool it off fast when I do need to do a small
project, etc.

I'm guessing I'll have to go down to the local sheet-metal shop and
have something fabricated, but I'm wondering if I might be able to
simply make something out of canvas and PVC pipe, for instance. The A/
C unit will be behind the shed where it doesn't show, so it doesn't
matter if the setup looks a little bit kludgy.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 09:16:11 -0700, mg wrote:

I have a shed with extremely small windows that I use mostly for
storage, but I do have a small area with a work-bench, etc. I also
have a window-mount air-conditioner that I received from a friend
basically free (on a trade). The unit is probably old, but my friend
said it hadn't been used much. This is not an evaporative cooler, by
the way. It's a regular, 220-Volt air conditioner.

Why not just cut a window for the unit?
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

ps.com...

Un-B-****ing-Lievable

[...]

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

[...]

You need to hire an engineer and a architect for a project of that
magnitude.
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

"mg" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

That's an unusual approach but I think it would work if you use 2 separate
ducts similar in size to the inlet and outlet areas of the unit and make
them reasonably short. I am not going to address the efficiency, safety,
practicality, adviseability, or other aspects of your idea.

Don Young

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
mg mg is offline

On Jul 25, 8:32 pm, "Don Young" wrote:
"mg" wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

Thanks Don.

In doing some Google searching, I found this old post:

"Adding ducts to an AC window unit
.. . . if you will get with G/E and Whirlpool and you will find out
they have a duct adaptor kits to tie on to window units on 16K, 24K ,
and 29k window units to use duct work on the units to use in
commercial applications. Also even Sears has a adapter kit for
the 24K & 29K window unit to be put on trailor houses. Now of course
my sheet metal man can make them cheaper than buying them . . . about
5 years ago I did a job with 3 G/E 29K window units and did have to
order the duct kits to install them and get the pattern for my
sheetmetal man to look at and start making our own duct adaptor
kits. . ."

So, it does look like this sort of thing has been done before.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

man that would cool one 10 times that big
you mite pipe the cold air in and use a filtered out side air for the
return
O would cut a ho;le in the shed and WALL MOUNT IT
ii just did that with a 18k on my 20-40 bed room
installed a header and all
and 2 by 4's all used 3 2 by 4s and 6 foot of 2 by 6 at header cut
in 1/2 or less
safe male
[...]

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 19:26:21 -0400, safemale
wrote:

man that would cool one 10 times that big

Bzzzt. Wrong.

You might be a ****ing nut job.

O would cut a ho;le in the shed and WALL MOUNT IT
ii just did that with a 18k on my 20-40 bed room
installed a header and all
and 2 by 4's all used 3 2 by 4s and 6 foot of 2 by 6 at header cut
in 1/2 or less

Sounds like a lovely hack.

safe male
[...]

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

In article om,
mg wrote:

[...]

Let's see, you use the shed an average of 2 hrs. per month. It's hot in
there about three months? So you're going to go to all this trouble so
you'll be a little more comfortable for six hours per year? At any rate,
I'd make sure it works (and learn how it works) before you start in with
the custom mounting.

I'm sure the resident AC experts on here will fill you in on the details
of how to do the 9000 hours of calculations and measurements that are
required before you use an air conditioner. If you skip those, your shed
will blow up, and your balls will shrivel up and fall off.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article om,
mg wrote:

[...]

Your shed has 220 in it already? If not, running that out there, even on a
fabricated extension cord you unroll each time, would cost more than buying
a 100-buck baby 110v unit at an end-of-summer sale, and putting it in an
existing window, or cutting a hole in wall and framing a shelf for it. I'd
sell the free unit for scrap metal. Without a faceplate, it is basically
worthless, unless somebody has a matching one that died. (I am assuming you
are in north america with 110v mains, right?)

aem sends...

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

DONT POST ON HVAC The statements and comments will
be of NO help to you at all.
ASHRAE has a special section entirely devoted to unit conversions
for TOOL sheds and will give you free and expert ADVICE

"safemale" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
mg mg is offline

On Aug 19, 5:57 pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article om,

mg wrote:
[...]

That's good advice on checking it. As it turnrd out it didn't work.
The worst part was getting the damned thing into my utility trailer
and hauling it off to the dump. I don't know what that old thing
weighed, but I'd guess a couple hundred pounds or more. I wound up
putting two, 12000 BTU portables in there that were on sale at Circuit
City. I put one right next to a work table and the other one right
next to my work bench. They work pretty well.

I'm sure the resident AC experts on here will fill you in on the details
of how to do the 9000 hours of calculations and measurements that are
required before you use an air conditioner. If you skip those, your shed
will blow up, and your balls will shrivel up and fall off.

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

wrote:

man that would cool one 10 times that big

Bzzzt. Wrong.

you mite pipe the cold air in and use a filtered out side air for the
return

You might be a ****ing nut job.

Whoever first posted this years ago had you in mind, Paul.

"You swine. You vulgar little maggot. You worthless bag of filth. As we say
in Texas, I'll bet you couldn't pour p!ss out of a boot with instructions
on
the heel. You are a canker. A sore that won't go away. I would rather kiss
lawyer than be seen with you. You're a putrescent mass, a walking vomit.
You
are a spineless little worm deserving nothing but the profoundest contempt.
You are a jerk, a cad, a weasel. Your life is a monument to stupidity. You
are a stench, a revulsion, a big suck on a sour lemon. You are a bleating
foal, a curdled staggering mutant dwarf smeared richly with the effluvia
and
offal accompanying your alleged birth into this world. An insensate,
blinking calf, meaningful to nobody, abandoned by the puke-drooling,
giggling beasts who sired you and then killed themselves in recognition of
what they had done. I will never get over the embarrassment of belonging to
the same species as you. You are a monster, an ogre, a malformity. I barf
at
the very thought of you. You have all the appeal of a paper cut. Lepers
avoid you. You are vile, worthless, less than nothing. You are a weed, a
fungus, the dregs of this earth. And did I mention you smell? Try to edit
your responses of unnecessary material before attempting to impress us with
your insight. The evidence that you are a nincompoop will still be
available
to readers, but they will be able to access it more rapidly. You
snail-skulled little rabbit. Would that a hawk pick you up, drive its beak
into your brain, and upon finding it rancid set you loose to fly briefly
before spattering the ocean rocks with the frothy pink shame of your
ignoble
blood. May you choke on the queasy, convulsing nausea of your own trite,
foolish beliefs. You are weary, stale, flat and unprofitable. You are
grimy,
squalid, nasty and profane. You are foul and disgusting. You're a fool, an
ignoramus. Monkeys look down on you. Even sheep won't have sex with you.
You
are unreservedly pathetic, starved for attention, and lost in a land that
reality forgot. And what meaning do you expect your delusionally
self-important statements of unknowing, inexperienced opinion to have with
us? What fantasy do you hold that you would believe that your tiny-fisted
tantrums would have more weight than that of a leprous desert rat, spinning
rabidly in a circle, waiting for the bite of the snake? You are a waste of
flesh. You have no rhythm. You are ridiculous and obnoxious. You are the
moral equivalent of a leech. You are a living emptiness, a meaningless
void.
You are sour and senile. You are a disease, you puerile, one-handed,
slack-jawed, drooling, meatslapper. On a good day you're a half-wit. You
remind me of drool. You are deficient in all that lends character. You have
the personality of wallpaper. You are dank and filthy. You are asinine and
benighted. You are the source of all unpleasantness. You spread misery and
sorrow wherever you go. You smarmy lagerlout git. You bloody woofter sod.
Bugger off, pillock. You grotty wanking oik artless base-court apple-john.
You clouted boggish foot-licking twit. You dankish clack-dish plonker. You
gormless crook-pated tosser. You churlish boil-brained clotpole ponce. You
cockered bum-bailey poofter. You craven dewberry ****head cockup pratting
naff. You gob-kissing gleeking flap-mouthed coxcomb. You dread-bolted
fobbing beef-witted clapper-clawed flirt-gill. You are a fiend and a
coward,
and you have bad breath. You are degenerate, noxious and depraved. I feel
debased just for knowing you exist. I despise everything about you, and I
wish you would go away. I cannot believe how incredibly stupid you are. I
mean rock-hard stupid. Dehydrated-rock-hard stupid. Stupid, so stupid it
goes way beyond the stupid we know into a whole different dimension of
stupid. You are trans-stupid stupid. Meta-stupid. Stupid collapsed on
itself
so far that even the neutrons have collapsed. Stupid gotten so dense that
no
intellect can escape. Singularity stupid. Blazing hot mid-day sun on
Mercury
stupid. You emit more stupid in one second than our entire galaxy emits in
year. Quasar stupid. Your writing has to be a troll. Nothing in our
universe
can really be this stupid. Perhaps this is some primordial fragment from
the
original big bang of stupid. Some pure essence of a stupid so
uncontaminated
by anything else as to be beyond the laws of physics that we know. I'm
sorry. I can't go on. This is an epiphany of stupid for me. After this, you
may not hear from me again for a while. I don't have enough strength left
deride your ignorant questions and half baked comments about unimportant
trivia, or any of the rest of this drivel. Duh. The only thing worse than
your logic is your manners. I have snipped away most of what you wrote,
because, well... it didn't really say anything. Your attempt at
constructing
a creative post was pitiful. I mean, really, stringing together a bunch of
insults among a load of babbling was hardly effective... Maybe later in
life, after you have learned to read, write, spell, and count, you will
have
more success. True, these are rudimentary skills that many of us "normal"
people take for granted that everyone has an easy time of mastering. But we
sometimes forget that there are "challenged" persons in this world who find
these things more difficult. If I had known, that this was your case then I
would have never read your post. It just wouldn't have been "right". Sort
of
like parking in a handicap space."
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

wrote:

man that would cool one 10 times that big

Bzzzt. Wrong.

you mite pipe the cold air in and use a filtered out side air for the
return

You might be a ****ing nut job.

Whoever first posted this years ago had you in mind, Paul.

Whoever created Cut 'n Paste had your level of creativity and
originality in mind, breathmint boy :-)