DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Drywall safe to store outside in shelter? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/205421-drywall-safe-store-outside-shelter.html)

[email protected] July 3rd 07 03:47 PM

Drywall safe to store outside in shelter?

I have a handful of drywall sheets that I will be installing in an
upstairs bedroom. There is no room to store it near the project, so I
put it on my front porch and covered it with several blue tarps. The
porch is sheltered from the rain, although if there is a really heavy
windy rain a little might blow in.

Will this be a problem for the drywall?

dpb July 3rd 07 04:07 PM

wrote:
I have a handful of drywall sheets that I will be installing in an
upstairs bedroom. There is no room to store it near the project, so I
put it on my front porch and covered it with several blue tarps. The
porch is sheltered from the rain, although if there is a really heavy
windy rain a little might blow in.

Will this be a problem for the drywall?

For short term, no...hopefully you set it up on 2x4 or similar so if
there is some water blown on to the floor it won't be standing in a pool...

buffalobill July 3rd 07 04:52 PM

On Jul 3, 9:47 am, " wrote:
I have a handful of drywall sheets that I will be installing in an
upstairs bedroom. There is no room to store it near the project, so I
put it on my front porch and covered it with several blue tarps. The
porch is sheltered from the rain, although if there is a really heavy
windy rain a little might blow in.

Will this be a problem for the drywall?

depending on the timetable and weather, the problem could be if it
takes on dampness and bends from flat to the shape of the porch before
you get to hang it, like the old piece standing in my damp basement.

dpb July 3rd 07 04:59 PM

buffalobill wrote:
On Jul 3, 9:47 am, " wrote:
I have a handful of drywall sheets that I will be installing in an
upstairs bedroom. There is no room to store it near the project, so I
put it on my front porch and covered it with several blue tarps. The
porch is sheltered from the rain, although if there is a really heavy
windy rain a little might blow in.

Will this be a problem for the drywall?

depending on the timetable and weather, the problem could be if it
takes on dampness and bends from flat to the shape of the porch before
you get to hang it, like the old piece standing in my damp basement.

It'll straighten out and dry out if you were to hang it somewhere...

RicodJour July 3rd 07 05:12 PM

On Jul 3, 9:47 am, " wrote:
I have a handful of drywall sheets that I will be installing in an
upstairs bedroom. There is no room to store it near the project, so I
put it on my front porch and covered it with several blue tarps. The
porch is sheltered from the rain, although if there is a really heavy
windy rain a little might blow in.

Will this be a problem for the drywall?

Can't tell from here, but even a little water will give the mold
spores (they're everywhere) an opportunity to start growing. Little
*******s!

Keep it dry. I'd have it standing up leaning against the house and as
far from the rain as possible. It should also be up on some wood
blocks so it's not sitting on the porch floor. It'll stay drier and
it's easier to pick up.

jtees4 July 5th 07 03:17 PM

Drywall safe to store outside in shelter?

Safe for you and your family, yes. For the drywall...probably not.

dpb July 5th 07 03:25 PM

jtees4 wrote:
Safe for you and your family, yes. For the drywall...probably not.

Temporarily stashed under roof and tarp...not likely any problem. If
"temporary" turns into several months, likelihood increases but still,
if it is protected from direct moisture, what's the difference of where
that is?

My question, I guess, is specifically, what do you think a problem here?

RicodJour July 5th 07 03:41 PM

On Jul 5, 9:25 am, dpb wrote:
jtees4 wrote:
Safe for you and your family, yes. For the drywall...probably not.

Temporarily stashed under roof and tarp...not likely any problem. If
"temporary" turns into several months, likelihood increases but still,
if it is protected from direct moisture, what's the difference of where
that is?

My question, I guess, is specifically, what do you think a problem here?

I'll answer your question with a question.
Where is this porch?
and another
Do you think that ambient humidity might have an influence on a bone
dry paper product?

dpb July 5th 07 04:02 PM

RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 5, 9:25 am, dpb wrote:
jtees4 wrote:
Safe for you and your family, yes. For the drywall...probably not.

Temporarily stashed under roof and tarp...not likely any problem. If
"temporary" turns into several months, likelihood increases but still,
if it is protected from direct moisture, what's the difference of where
that is?

My question, I guess, is specifically, what do you think a problem here?

I'll answer your question with a question.
Where is this porch?
and another
Do you think that ambient humidity might have an influence on a bone
dry paper product?

Not unless it is near 100% RH continuously for quite a long time will it
have any long term detrimental affect. Most places store drywall in
open warehouses, anyway.

RicodJour July 5th 07 04:15 PM

On Jul 5, 10:02 am, dpb wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 5, 9:25 am, dpb wrote:
jtees4 wrote:
Safe for you and your family, yes. For the drywall...probably not.
Temporarily stashed under roof and tarp...not likely any problem. If
"temporary" turns into several months, likelihood increases but still,
if it is protected from direct moisture, what's the difference of where
that is?

My question, I guess, is specifically, what do you think a problem here?

I'll answer your question with a question.
Where is this porch?
and another
Do you think that ambient humidity might have an influence on a bone
dry paper product?

Not unless it is near 100% RH continuously for quite a long time will it
have any long term detrimental affect. Most places store drywall in
open warehouses, anyway.

And the drywall moves. Your first post mentioned that it won't be a
problem for the short term. I agree. But we've all encountered
sliding time scale renovations. I'll get to it _next_ weekend... Of
course that presents the bigger problem.

I also don't see 100% RH in basements and closets around here, but I
do see mold growth. I lived in New Orleans and even short term
storage outdoors would present problems with drywall. You can spit on
the side walk and stuff would start growing. Even relatively short
term storage in a outdoor location that might get wet a bit promotes
mold growth. I don't see the earth ending with a little bit of mold,
but it is a PIA. Better safe than sorry.

dpb July 5th 07 04:21 PM

RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 5, 10:02 am, dpb wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 5, 9:25 am, dpb wrote:
jtees4 wrote:
[...]

But, what I didn't add and the reason for the question (and admittedly,
it was kinda' a knee-jerk one but I'm twiddling thumbs this morning
waiting for a return call from a vendor on a controller repair part for
the boomlift) was these concerns which are surely possible but still
take the ends of the spectrum have already been addressed and here's a
post that essentially says the world will come to an end. I wondered
whether that respondent really had something in mind or was just
reacting (like I did to his)...

That's all...

In general, I'd prefer the OP put it on the porch under the tarp than in
the basement. If he had a closed garage that wasn't _too_ inconvenient,
that would undoubtedly be better, but why make more trouble for oneself
than necessary?

And, sure, if the project stretches out into months, sure, he ought to
put it somewhere else, but that wasn't the question raised.

And, yeah, did I say I'm bored yet?... :)

[email protected] July 16th 07 09:27 PM

On Jul 5, 10:21 am, dpb wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 5, 10:02 am, dpb wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 5, 9:25 am, dpb wrote:
jtees4 wrote:
[...]

Thanks everyone for your posts. I stored it on 2x4s on my porch, under
two overlapping blue tarps. Several storms blew through the area and
some water did puddle on the one side of the tarp. No water went
underneath. I pulled two sheets off the stack this weekend and it was
in the same condition when I brought it home. No dampness, mildew or
dark spots.

And a big 'of course' on the sliding time scale...I was supposed to
have this done 3 weeks ago :)