Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Opening in cold air return

I noticed quite a large opening (8" x 8") in the cold air return going into
my furnace in my basement.

It's been missing a while, and it's in a ackward spot to fix.

What is the prblems associated with this hole, and what improvements will I
gain by spending the time to fix it (seal the opening)?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message
I noticed quite a large opening (8" x 8") in the cold air return going into
my furnace in my basement.

It's been missing a while, and it's in a ackward spot to fix.

What is the prblems associated with this hole, and what improvements will
I gain by spending the time to fix it (seal the opening)?

Is your basement heated by forced air? If not, I'd close that rascal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 5:23 pm, "Charles Schuler"
wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

I noticed quite a large opening (8" x 8") in the cold air return going into
my furnace in my basement.

It's been missing a while, and it's in a ackward spot to fix.

What is the prblems associated with this hole, and what improvements will
I gain by spending the time to fix it (seal the opening)?

Is your basement heated by forced air? If not, I'd close that rascal.

It depends on alot of things, I leave mine open in winter to get it a
bit warmer and keep the air circulating and in summer close it for AC
to pull the most from the second floor return. It depends on duct
sizing, moisture issues, if you heat the basement or not..

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 18:19:09 -0400, "Bill" wrote:

I noticed quite a large opening (8" x 8") in the cold air return going into
my furnace in my basement.

It's been missing a while, and it's in a ackward spot to fix.

What is the prblems associated with this hole, and what improvements will I
gain by spending the time to fix it (seal the opening)?

Thanks

IIUC, the air in the house, the heated air that has cooled off by
being in the rooms for a while, making contact with the cold windows,
being diluted by cold air from leaks, etc, Is pushed out of the room
my the hot air being blown into it, and is pulled out of the room by
the suction of the cold air return.

ISTM a hole like yours substantially lowers the suction. Thus it cuts
down on the circulation in the room and on the efficiency of the hot
air fan. I wonder if, even though now there is more than ever cold
air in the return, the longer more convuluted path that might arise
for air return might also cut down on the circulation. Or maybe that
would be counting the same thing twice.

You don't have to fix it right, with sheet metal and whatever. If it
is not a flammable area, a piece of carboard and duct tape, or even
duck tape, would probably last for 10 years. Then you can do it again
for another 10 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 6:19 pm, "Bill" wrote:
I noticed quite a large opening (8" x 8") in the cold air return going into
my furnace in my basement.

It's been missing a while, and it's in a ackward spot to fix.

What is the prblems associated with this hole, and what improvements will I
gain by spending the time to fix it (seal the opening)?

Thanks

If the opening is in the same room as the furnace, I'm quite sure you
have a code violation. Just don't have specifics handy. Among other
things, this can result in drawing what would be furnace exhaust into
the ducting and thus the house. CO is sneaky.

HTH,

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
If the opening is in the same room as the furnace, I'm quite sure you
have a code violation. Just don't have specifics handy. Among other
things, this can result in drawing what would be furnace exhaust into
the ducting and thus the house. CO is sneaky.

How would it draw in furnace exhaust? In some older houses, the return air
ducts did not go to the furnace at all, just dropped into the basement where
the gravity (not a blower) furnace was. Seems to me it would just suck in
air, just like a return from other rooms where the duct is connected. That
8 x 8 opening may, in fact, be the return for that room, just missing a
grate over it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 6:19 pm, "Bill" wrote:
I noticed quite a large opening (8" x 8") in the cold air return going into
my furnace in my basement.

It's been missing a while, and it's in a ackward spot to fix.

What is the prblems associated with this hole, and what improvements will I
gain by spending the time to fix it (seal the opening)?

Thanks

I would definitely close it. It reduces your system efficiency, has
potential
of sucking in carbon monoxide, and other NG bi-products

Posted to alt.home.repair

How would it "suck in" CO? there would have to be a CO leak to begin with
and that has nothing to do with the 8x8 hole that is probably just the
return for that particular area.

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 15, 6:19 pm, "Bill" wrote:

I would definitely close it. It reduces your system efficiency, has
potential
of sucking in carbon monoxide, and other NG bi-products

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I would definitely close it. It reduces your system efficiency, has
potential
of sucking in carbon monoxide, and other NG bi-products

About the only natural gas by-product it would suck in is a fart in the
basement. Return air ducts have openings in every room of the house just to
suck in farts and re-distribute them to the rest of the house. Now, take a
deep breath and think about the furnace setup. .

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Steve Barker wrote:
How would it "suck in" CO? there would have to be a CO leak to begin with
and that has nothing to do with the 8x8 hole that is probably just the
return for that particular area.

Depending on air circulation in the area, a danger exists of exhaust
gases being drawn into the air return. For that reason, a forced air
furnace installed in a closet often must have a combustion air supply
separate from the living space.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
Depending on air circulation in the area, a danger exists of exhaust gases
being drawn into the air return. For that reason, a forced air furnace
installed in a closet often must have a combustion air supply separate
from the living space.

The purpose of outside combstion air is efficiency. You don't want to burn
the air you just heatgead and push it up the stack.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Apr 15, 6:19 pm, "Bill" wrote:
I noticed quite a large opening (8" x 8") in the cold air return going into
my furnace in my basement.

It's been missing a while, and it's in a ackward spot to fix.

What is the prblems associated with this hole, and what improvements will I
gain by spending the time to fix it (seal the opening)?

Thanks

Not be scare you, but you should have your basement/house tested for
Radon. If you have elevated radon levels, you DEFINATELY want to have
it fixed. You don't want to blow that into your living space. If
not, it's no big deal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh and whilst we're at it, may just as well get all geeked out about mold
also. oooooohhhh the sky is falling......

--
Steve Barker

"Pat" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 15, 6:19 pm, "Bill" wrote:
I noticed quite a large opening (8" x 8") in the cold air return going
into
my furnace in my basement.

It's been missing a while, and it's in a ackward spot to fix.

What is the prblems associated with this hole, and what improvements will
gain by spending the time to fix it (seal the opening)?

Thanks

Not be scare you, but you should have your basement/house tested for
Radon. If you have elevated radon levels, you DEFINATELY want to have
it fixed. You don't want to blow that into your living space. If
not, it's no big deal.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 22:44:09 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
Depending on air circulation in the area, a danger exists of exhaust gases
being drawn into the air return. For that reason, a forced air furnace
installed in a closet often must have a combustion air supply separate
from the living space.

The purpose of outside combstion air is efficiency. You don't want to burn
the air you just heatgead and push it up the stack.

The colder outside air also has more air in the same space, right, and
more oxygen. Even if it is colder.