Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Small Gear-Puller?

Is there a _small_ gear puller, suitable for pulling a half inch diameter
linear brake off a bike? Hammering on it would damage its support.
I need something to pull on the outer edge while pushing on the center
shaft, to avoid it.

It's not so much that great force is required but that it be restricted
to the brake component in question.
--
Ron Hardin

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Mar 16, 10:22 am, Ron Hardin wrote:
Is there a _small_ gear puller, suitable for pulling a half inch diameter
linear brake off a bike? Hammering on it would damage its support.
I need something to pull on the outer edge while pushing on the center
shaft, to avoid it.

It's not so much that great force is required but that it be restricted
to the brake component in question.

Lots of choices -- one of the cheapest light-weight pullers are those
sold for battery terminals at the auto parts places. I'd assume there
are specialty tools for bikes as well but if bike prices are anything
like they were when I did ride some years ago, they'll undoubtedly be
quite proud of them...

If don't need much force, it's not too difficult to fabricate
something light duty from a piece of flat iron and an appropriately
sized bolt if you have a modicum of tools.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 16:22:59 GMT, Ron Hardin
wrote:

Is there a _small_ gear puller, suitable for pulling a half inch diameter

There are small gear pullers. Bicycle or motorcycle? What's a linear
brake?

linear brake off a bike? Hammering on it would damage its support.
I need something to pull on the outer edge while pushing on the center
shaft, to avoid it.

It's not so much that great force is required but that it be restricted
to the brake component in question.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
Is there a _small_ gear puller, suitable for pulling a half inch diameter
linear brake off a bike? Hammering on it would damage its support.
I need something to pull on the outer edge while pushing on the center
shaft, to avoid it.

It's not so much that great force is required but that it be restricted
to the brake component in question.
--
Ron Hardin

Any good bike shop or automotive house will have a puller to fit your needs.
Ironically I bend or break the center pins from faucet handle pullers which
renders them useless for plumbing but great for small gear pullers.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 12:22 pm, Ron Hardin wrote:
Is there a _small_ gear puller, suitable for pulling a half inch diameter
linear brake off a bike? Hammering on it would damage its support.
I need something to pull on the outer edge while pushing on the center
shaft, to avoid it.

It's not so much that great force is required but that it be restricted
to the brake component in question.
--
Ron Hardin

A bolt a wing nut and some wire, you may have to grind the bolt thin
where it presses upon the shaft, the wire wraps around the ears of the
wing nut and the gear.