Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Winterizing a pressure washer

I'm going to be storying my pressure washer outdoors in a shed during
the winter. Will there be a problem with this? Will freezing water
breaking anything inside? If so, what do I do to prevent that? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

46erjoe wrote:
I'm going to be storying my pressure washer outdoors in a shed during
the winter. Will there be a problem with this? Will freezing water
breaking anything inside? If so, what do I do to prevent that? Thanks.

I believe most recommend that you pour an antifreeze solution into the
pump when storing such units. Supposedly it not only prevents damage
due to freezing, but stops corrosion. At least that is what my unit
recommends.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I wouldnt use normal green antifreeze, they make one that is pink (and
in a clear bottle) and used in rv's etc. My manual stated something
different about the two in the pink stuff was the way to go. I will
look to see what the differences were.

Tom

46erjoe wrote:
I'm going to be storying my pressure washer outdoors in a shed during
the winter. Will there be a problem with this? Will freezing water
breaking anything inside? If so, what do I do to prevent that? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 19:20:55 GMT, 46erjoe
wrote:

I'm going to be storying my pressure washer outdoors in a shed during
the winter. Will there be a problem with this? Will freezing water
breaking anything inside? If so, what do I do to prevent that? Thanks.

You should run out the gas or use Sta-bil.

You must winterize the pump. Purchase RV antifreeze or Windshield
antifreeze solvent. Rig a funnel to the water input of the washer.
With ignition off slowly crank the engine/pump until you see the
antifreeze come out of the outlet. You are done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If it freezes the pump is toast and must be rebuilt .
Run 50/50 propylene glycol through it unless the manufacturer has his
own mix
46erjoe wrote:
I'm going to be storying my pressure washer outdoors in a shed during
the winter. Will there be a problem with this? Will freezing water
breaking anything inside? If so, what do I do to prevent that? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Blue water works fine also. That's what we use since we use the pressure
washer daily all winter. Just pump bluewater through it, and good to go.
It's the cheapest solution.

--
Steve Barker

"46erjoe" wrote in message
I'm going to be storying my pressure washer outdoors in a shed during
the winter. Will there be a problem with this? Will freezing water
breaking anything inside? If so, what do I do to prevent that? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

we use stabil in the gas, take the pressure line off and blow
the water out of it. pour anti freeze into the pump and spin it over
till it comes out the other side. ..... or you could just run it with
antifreeze till it comes out the pressure hose.i would also look at the
oil in the pump to be sure its not milky with water.change if necc.
lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm going to be storying my pressure washer outdoors in a shed during
the winter. Will there be a problem with this? Will freezing water
breaking anything inside? If so, what do I do to prevent that? Thanks.

Whatever you do, do not use ethylene glycol as the antifreeze. (green)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 20:09:16 -0600, "Steve Barker LT"
wrote:

Why not? Do tell.

Ethylene glycol is corrosive and can damage the pump.
RV antifreeze is not corrosive and additionally lubricates
the pump.
Posted to alt.home.repair

That is bull****. What do you think is in your car?!?! We've treated the
pressure washer where I work on occasion (when the people doing didn't know
any cheaper) with automotive antifreeze. It can't hurt it.

--
Steve Barker

wrote:

Why not? Do tell.

Ethylene glycol is corrosive and can damage the pump.
RV antifreeze is not corrosive and additionally lubricates
the pump.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That is bull****. What do you think is in your car?!?!

Rust, and plenty of it in the cooling passages. (ethylene glycol)

We've treated the
pressure washer where I work on occasion (when the people doing didn't know
any cheaper) with automotive antifreeze. It can't hurt it.

Tell that to pump manufacturers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Why not? Do tell.

Ethylene glycol is corrosive and can damage the pump.
RV antifreeze is not corrosive and additionally lubricates
the pump.

No, it's not BS. The car is an enclosed, constantly mixing system. Lying
in the bottom of the pump in a PW is not; and thus corrosion starts.
Also, the materials for a corrosive reaction aren't present in a radiator
system; they are in a pw.

Pop`

Posted to alt.home.repair

ya ya ya..... ok. whatever you say. Were talking cast iron and
aluminum, and steel parts. Same as in a car engine. And as for the other
reply, I PERSONALLY do not have rust and sediment in my automotive cooling
systems. If you do, perhaps you're using an inferior product and not
changing it often enough.

--
Steve Barker

"Pop`" wrote in message
No, it's not BS. The car is an enclosed, constantly mixing system. Lying
in the bottom of the pump in a PW is not; and thus corrosion starts.
Also, the materials for a corrosive reaction aren't present in a radiator
system; they are in a pw.

Pop`

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker LT wrote:
ya ya ya..... ok. whatever you say. Were talking cast iron and
aluminum, and steel parts. Same as in a car engine. And as for the other
reply, I PERSONALLY do not have rust and sediment in my automotive cooling
systems. If you do, perhaps you're using an inferior product and not
changing it often enough.

--

The instruction book with my PW states "do NOT use automotive
antifreeze". Evidently they have dealt with this problem before. It

Bob S.

pressure washer dazz UK diy 3 October 23rd 06 06:15 PM
Low Output Pressure on Generac Pressure Washer Arnie Goetchius Home Repair 6 June 7th 06 01:23 AM
Pressure Washer - Help [email protected] Home Repair 10 March 7th 06 12:39 PM
Electric pressure washer looses pressure after 8 sec. lbbss Electronics Repair 4 August 14th 05 05:29 PM
Electric pressure washer looses pressure after 8 sec. [email protected] Home Repair 4 August 12th 05 07:55 PM