Posted to alt.home.repair

Default WATER HEATER BLANKET

Gas water heater is in the garage.
Garage gets cold at night.

Any reason to put a heater-blanket over the unit ?

I keep hearing that modern water-heaters are sufficiently insulated.

???

rj
Posted to alt.home.repair

RJ wrote:
Gas water heater is in the garage.
Garage gets cold at night.

Any reason to put a heater-blanket over the unit ?

I keep hearing that modern water-heaters are sufficiently insulated.

???

rj

Modern water heaters are very well insulated.......see if you can get
the specs on your unit.

Compare the "feel" of the sheet metal on the water hear to a piece of
sheet metal sitting in the garage.

If the piece feels cold & the water is not cold then you couls probably
benefit from a blanket

If you have a gas pilot light system the pilot light is probably enough
to keep the water hot. If the water never cycles during the night (or
day with no water use) then a blanket might not be much help

Electric heater is a different story.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 18 Oct 2006 19:53:23 -0700, "BobK207" wrote:

[...]

If you have a gas pilot light system the pilot light is probably enough
to keep the water hot.

[...]

Are you in a windy area? Any chance that a blast of air under garage
door or when suddenly opening it might blow out pilot and you wouldn't
be aware until...

Less chance of this happening indoors. Is your gas heater "sheltered"
from drafts?

Aspasia
Posted to alt.home.repair

aspasia wrote:
On 18 Oct 2006 19:53:23 -0700, "BobK207" wrote:

[...]

If you have a gas pilot light system the pilot light is probably enough
to keep the water hot.

[...]

Are you in a windy area? Any chance that a blast of air under garage
door or when suddenly opening it might blow out pilot and you wouldn't
be aware until...

Less chance of this happening indoors. Is your gas heater "sheltered"
from drafts?

Aspasia

Are you in a windy area? Any chance that a blast of air under garage

door or when suddenly opening it might blow out pilot and you wouldn't
be aware until...

Less chance of this happening indoors. Is your gas heater "sheltered"
from drafts?

And this addresses the OP's question, how?

when the pilot goes out, the gas goes off & the water gets cold

Did you have a point to your post?

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 18 Oct 2006 22:24:18 -0700, "BobK207" wrote:

aspasia wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I assumed the flame would go out, but the gas would continue
issuing. "Fools rush in..."

On my house wall heater, that's what I THOUGHT would happen, but will
now run a test.

Thanks for heads-up.

Aspasia

Posted to alt.home.repair

BobK207 wrote:
RJ wrote:
Gas water heater is in the garage.
Garage gets cold at night.

Any reason to put a heater-blanket over the unit ?

I keep hearing that modern water-heaters are sufficiently insulated.

Modern water heaters are very well insulated.......see if you can get
the specs on your unit.

Compare the "feel" of the sheet metal on the water hear to a piece of
sheet metal sitting in the garage.

If the piece feels cold & the water is not cold then you couls probably
benefit from a blanket

If you have a gas pilot light system the pilot light is probably enough
to keep the water hot. If the water never cycles during the night (or
day with no water use) then a blanket might not be much help

Electric heater is a different story.

And, in my town water heaters last only about 6 or 7 years because the
(well) water has corrosive chemicals in it. I assume that if the heater
had a blanket on it, that would have to be replaced at the same time.
The amount saved on fuel will not pay for the blanket.
Posted to alt.home.repair

the blanket can be reused, fiberglass doesnt go bad over time. just
remove carefully and put on new heater.

you might get more life out of your heaters by replacing the anode rods
on a regular basis but i doubt its worth the trouble

work chance of leaks, damaged drain valve, stuck rod etc etc....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 19:00:32 -0700, "RJ"
wrote:

Gas water heater is in the garage.
Garage gets cold at night.

Any reason to put a heater-blanket over the unit ?

I keep hearing that modern water-heaters are sufficiently insulated.

???

rj

Water heaters dont sleep. Why would they need a blanket?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I beilieve you will notice quite a difference if you do cover your
water heater. The easiest and least expensive way to do it is simply
use some good wall insulation. Just be sure you get none near the pilot
light. The "blankets" look real pretty but not sure they are worth the
price. Sometimes local electric companies will give you a great deal on
them but not sure about gas. $20 at a home store will buy you more than
enough insulation.
RJ wrote:
Gas water heater is in the garage.
Garage gets cold at night.

Any reason to put a heater-blanket over the unit ?

I keep hearing that modern water-heaters are sufficiently insulated.

???

rj

Posted to alt.home.repair

aspasia wrote:
[...]

Don't most pilot light water heaters have thermal couples to prevent
gas flow without a flame?

tom @ www.MyFastCoolCars.com