sprinkler heads sticking

Old July 29th 06, 10:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default sprinkler heads sticking

Hello. I've got 2 problems to tackle:

1. I'm having trouble with a handful of my pop-up (4" I believe)
sprinkler heads not popping up. When I pull them up they stay up and
spray through the cycle, but then they still have trouble popping up
the next time it runs. This is true of various heads on different
zones. I've wiped down the shafts and even sprayed 3in1 oil, but
they're still sticking. They all seem to go back down fine after the
cycle completes (albeit a couple with a long delay).

2. Some of the sprinklers are popping up at slight angles, so the
spray isn't optimal anymore. Been about 7 years since the system was
installed, so I assume the ground has simply settled and moved the
underlying piping to this scewed angle. Should I just dig down to the
sprinkler base and gently twist the angle back to optimal, or should
this be left to a professional?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old July 29th 06, 10:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

BernSox wrote:

[...]

Hi,
Water pressure? Yes you can reposition the head after digging up.
Try to run the system early in the morning or late in the evening
when water pressure will be higher. Mine is set to run in at 5:00 AM.
Anyhow pressure here is at least 60 psi. Pressure has to overcome the
spring inside to pop the head. If there is a leak it'll be sluggish.
Old July 30th 06, 07:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair

The previous answer is good, but if the pop-ups are really old, why not
replace them at the time of digging down to the old pipe? The new gear
driven pop-ups are better in many ways than the old pop-ups. I was
able to actually reduce the total number of sprinklers in half, as the
adjustable gear driven units put out a lot of water, while they turn
slowly and quietly. Today's home sprinkler systems are designed for
the home owner to install themself, in my opinion. In my case, I even
rented a trench digger from Home Depot and completed the digging in day
by myself! Then, I put in all new lines and abandoned the old
galvanized ones put in 30 years or more ago. Today, everything is
plastic with few tools required, and electronic componentry fully
explained in user manuals for homeowners.

Sprinkler heads twfsa Home Repair 4 November 1st 05 12:56 AM
Hunter PGP Sprinkler Heads ?? James Home Repair 6 September 19th 05 02:54 PM
lawn sprinkler pressure problem [email protected] Home Repair 7 March 4th 05 10:44 PM
GFCI outlet / automated sprinkler system that plugs in it Vince Home Ownership 3 November 27th 04 04:26 AM
Fisher cassette heads bg Electronics Repair 5 July 30th 03 05:04 AM