Posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn,alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,alt.os.windows-xp
mm mm is offline

Default Two Saturns, one key

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 00:38:00 +0000, David Teichholtz wrote:

When I bought my 97 SL1, it came with two keys. The ignition switch had
been replaced and the idiots who did it did not bother to have the switch
coded to the car.

That costs extra money you know. Maybe they didn't have as much money
as you seem to have.

There are also disadvantages to having the same key for the door and
the ignition. A clever guy might have thought of that.

Today, while doing some other work to the car which involved having one of
the door skins off, I decided to pull both door lock cylinders, the trunk
cylinder and the ignition and get them coded to the key to my 95 SW1. Now
one key works both cars. Locksmith charged $40 to recode the cylinders.

-David

Posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn,alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,alt.os.windows-xp

"mm" wrote in message
On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 00:38:00 +0000, David Teichholtz wrote:

When I bought my 97 SL1, it came with two keys. The ignition switch

had
been replaced and the idiots who did it did not bother to have the

switch
coded to the car.

That costs extra money you know. Maybe they didn't have as much money
as you seem to have.

As much money as I seem to have? Ha! I paid $700 for this car after the
person
who owned it was offered $250 by her mechanic. It started running rough
literally at the
last minute before the owner was moving a few states away. I got the car
running and offered the $700
and she was thrilled. With a child in college and another in private school,
I have very little money
to spend on buying cars.

I did question the previous owner about the keys and she was never offered
the option of
having the lock coded correctly, she was surprised that it could even be
done.

There are also disadvantages to having the same key for the door and
the ignition. A clever guy might have thought of that.

There are, but for my needs one key is much more convienient.

Posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn,alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair,alt.os.windows-xp
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 04:24:40 GMT, "David Teichholtz"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 00:38:00 +0000, David Teichholtz wrote:

When I bought my 97 SL1, it came with two keys. The ignition switch

had
been replaced and the idiots who did it did not bother to have the

switch
coded to the car.

"to *have* the switch coded..." means you are talking about a previous
owner, right? If you were talking about locksmiths, you would have
said "did not bother to code the switch to the car".

That costs extra money you know. Maybe they didn't have as much money
as you seem to have.

As much money as I seem to have? Ha! I paid $700 for this car after the
person
who owned it was offered $250 by her mechanic. It started running rough
literally at the
last minute before the owner was moving a few states away. I got the car
running and offered the $700
and she was thrilled. With a child in college and another in private school,
I have very little money
to spend on buying cars.

Well you seemed to have a lot of money, because most people without a
lot of money would understand why another such person wouldn't pay to
have locks keyed alike. Instead you called them "idiots".

I did question the previous owner about the keys and she was never offered
the option of
having the lock coded correctly, she was surprised that it could even be
done.

There are also disadvantages to having the same key for the door and
the ignition. A clever guy might have thought of that.

There are, but for my needs one key is much more convienient.

Your needs are irrelevant, since it's the other people you called
idiots.

Two Saturns, one key 'Key Home Repair 0 July 11th 06 02:49 AM
Two Saturns, one key Stormin Mormon Home Repair 0 July 11th 06 02:48 AM
Two Saturns, one key Big Al Home Repair 0 July 11th 06 02:14 AM