Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fixing My Asphalt Driveway - Can I Do This?

I have the worst-looking driveway I ever saw. I am thinking of trying
to make it look a little better by making the edges straighter, and
by maybe putting brick or landscaping ties along the edges. Right now
the edge looks like the person who laid the asphalt was drunk and
simply laid out the asphalt without any 'framing' for the asphalt to
rest against.

I am wondering - I should try to cut a little in the really bad
places. Can I do that with my 7 1/4" circular saw with some kind of
special blade? If so, what kind of blade? Or should I forget it, or
do it another way?

Thanks

Jethro
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jethro writes:

Can I do that with my 7 1/4" circular saw with some kind of
special blade? If so, what kind of blade?

You could try with a diamond dry blade for cutting masonry, but you're
liable to have clogging and control issues.

I would hire a concrete cutter to come and do it for you; they can be
pretty reasonable in price if you aren't in a hurry.
Posted to alt.home.repair
gg gg is offline

just rent a chipping hammer to cut edge neatly
it will go very quickly,then put your edge in then make any small repairs to
the asphalt
cooled patch

"Jethro" wrote in message
I have the worst-looking driveway I ever saw. I am thinking of trying
to make it look a little better by making the edges straighter, and
by maybe putting brick or landscaping ties along the edges. Right now
the edge looks like the person who laid the asphalt was drunk and
simply laid out the asphalt without any 'framing' for the asphalt to
rest against.

I am wondering - I should try to cut a little in the really bad
places. Can I do that with my 7 1/4" circular saw with some kind of
special blade? If so, what kind of blade? Or should I forget it, or
do it another way?

Thanks

Jethro

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 05:44:42 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Jethro writes:

Can I do that with my 7 1/4" circular saw with some kind of
special blade? If so, what kind of blade?

You could try with a diamond dry blade for cutting masonry, but you're
liable to have clogging and control issues.

I would hire a concrete cutter to come and do it for you; they can be
pretty reasonable in price if you aren't in a hurry.

For asphalt, I'd just chase/chisel the edge with a cheap
axe and a mallet. It'd be a bit more effort than
a circular saw, but just as fast.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Jethro writes:

Can I do that with my 7 1/4" circular saw with some kind of
special blade? If so, what kind of blade?

You could try with a diamond dry blade for cutting masonry, but you're
liable to have clogging and control issues.

I would hire a concrete cutter to come and do it for you; they can be
pretty reasonable in price if you aren't in a hurry.

For asphalt, I'd just chase/chisel the edge with a cheap
axe and a mallet. It'd be a bit more effort than
a circular saw, but just as fast.

I'd actually prefer your method over a saw. Can you imagine the dust and
the stink of trying to cut asphalt? Besides, the finished edge doesn't have
to be incredibly straight. By the time you get dirt and lawn clippings
wedged in there you won't see any disparity.