remove towel rack fixed to tile wall

Old July 4th 06, 10:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default remove towel rack fixed to tile wall

I want to remove a towel rack fixed to my ceramic-tiled bathroom wall.
Photos:

http://members.dslextreme.com/~dmorg...ack/index.html

I can't figure out how to remove it non-destructively. On the other
side of the wall is a closet, where there's drywal I'd have to break
to get a view of the space between the walls and the immediate backing
of the tile. The fixture is old, doesn't want to move in any direction
I try to pull it. Any idea how this thing it attached and how to
unattache it?

Old July 4th 06, 11:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"david" wrote in message

I want to remove a towel rack fixed to my ceramic-tiled bathroom wall.
Photos:

http://members.dslextreme.com/~dmorg...ack/index.html

I can't figure out how to remove it non-destructively. On the other
side of the wall is a closet, where there's drywal I'd have to break
to get a view of the space between the walls and the immediate backing
of the tile. The fixture is old, doesn't want to move in any direction
I try to pull it. Any idea how this thing it attached and how to
unattache it?

It looks like a mudset ceramic towel bar. If it is and you take it out you
are going to have a hole in the wall equal to the base size. You may want
to think about this one.

Breaking it out while wearing long sleeves and heavy gloves is the only way
I have ever managed to remove them. Trust me on the gloves. I had the
stitches and still have the scar.

Colbyt

Old July 4th 06, 11:54 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"david" wrote in message

I want to remove a towel rack fixed to my ceramic-tiled bathroom wall.
Photos:

You might try a wire saw.
Xeno
http://www.concretenetwork.com/concr...d_wire_saw.htm

Old July 5th 06, 04:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair

1) Check to make sure there is not a set screw under each bracket.
2) If not, gently tap the end piece upward with a rubber mallet. You may
find a bracket has been attached to the tile and the end piece fits over it.