Posted to alt.home.repair
John H.

Default bath tub/shower diverter

I want to replace the water spout/diverter in my shower/tub, just for
asthetic reasons. Is that just a unscrew and put the new one on or something
more involved? The fixture is Moen, I believe the model is called Legacy.
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

John H. wrote:
I want to replace the water spout/diverter in my shower/tub, just for
asthetic reasons. Is that just a unscrew and put the new one on or something
more involved? The fixture is Moen, I believe the model is called Legacy.
Thanks

There are a few different ways they are installed, the two most common

Screw on - usually can be unscrewed with a minimum of effort but you
may need to go to a plumbing store to find the correct replacement. If
you have galvanized supply lines (grey pipes) this could easily turn
into a job that requires you to break open the wall.

Set screw - look on the bottom of the spout and see if there is a small
hole or slot to loosen the set screw then the spout should pull right
off.

Posted to alt.home.repair
John H.

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...

John H. wrote:
I want to replace the water spout/diverter in my shower/tub, just for
asthetic reasons. Is that just a unscrew and put the new one on or
something
more involved? The fixture is Moen, I believe the model is called Legacy.
Thanks

There are a few different ways they are installed, the two most common

Screw on - usually can be unscrewed with a minimum of effort but you
may need to go to a plumbing store to find the correct replacement. If
you have galvanized supply lines (grey pipes) this could easily turn
into a job that requires you to break open the wall.

Ray, you have either done this before or you're a plumber...
a piece if the galvanized pipe came off as I unscrewed it. There may be
enough
threads showing to get a new one on, if not I'm calling a pro.
thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

John H. wrote:

Ray, you have either done this before or you're a plumber...
a piece if the galvanized pipe came off as I unscrewed it. There may be
enough
threads showing to get a new one on, if not I'm calling a pro.
thanks

Not a plumber. If the pipe is sticking out of the wall with only a few
threads on the end you can try just replacing the spout. Make sure you
don't have a leak, water leaking around the threads can trickle back
along the pipe and into the wall. You probably won't be able to see
this happen inside the spout. Access panel to check for leaks?

If you have to try and unscrew the pipe:
Get a pipe wrench to grip it tightly then hit the end of the handle
with a hammer. The sudden shock is less likely to break the pipe then
forcing it slowly. Start with a gentle tap then increase the force of
your wacks until it doesn't seem safe. Good idea to brace the other
pipes in the wall with blocks of wood if you have access. If it does
come out you can replace it with copper and the right size nipple
soldered on.

If you don't have an access panel on the back side of the shower or the
means to make one you might want to call a plumber to make it easier on
yourself. A few weeks ago there was a post from someone that their
'wet wall' in the shower backed up to a 2 story stairwell. $200 from a
plumber now may save a bunch later...

Read this thread, it has some good advice for a similar problem:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...65e5b3d3ea84d6

Posted to alt.home.repair
John H.

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...

John H. wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the advise, there were enough good threads to get a new one on,
which made me extremely happy after
reading the above. I used one of those Danco universal spouts, works well,
maybe not as pretty as others but its chorme
and shinny and it works.

Shower bath mixer tap woes Andy UK diy 8 August 22nd 05 03:43 PM
Bath Panel - Tiling and removal. [email protected] UK diy 11 May 27th 05 10:39 PM
Bath advice Martin Wilson UK diy 2 November 13th 04 06:44 AM
Sealant around bath not setting! BraileTrail UK diy 14 January 14th 04 08:49 PM
Rubber strip for front edge of bath David W.E. Roberts UK diy 9 October 14th 03 11:50 AM