Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Savoy

Default A/c balancing

I have one upstairs bedroom that is consistently cooler than the other two
bedrooms. The two warmer rooms are over the garage. A friend of mine
mentioned that this might be fixed by balancing the a/c. I have zoned a/c so
any changes shouldn't affect the downstairs rooms.

I asked my a/c guy about balancing and he asked if I had the cfm ratings for
each room; apparently this is on the blue prints for the house which I don't
have. I am pretty handy and I was wondering if the balancing could be done
without the cfm room ratings. How do you go about balancing the a/c?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

Mark Savoy wrote:
I have one upstairs bedroom that is consistently cooler than the other two
bedrooms. The two warmer rooms are over the garage. A friend of mine
mentioned that this might be fixed by balancing the a/c. I have zoned a/c so
any changes shouldn't affect the downstairs rooms.

I asked my a/c guy about balancing and he asked if I had the cfm ratings for
each room; apparently this is on the blue prints for the house which I don't
have. I am pretty handy and I was wondering if the balancing could be done
without the cfm room ratings. How do you go about balancing the a/c?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mark

Without CFM ratings, without BTUH dissipation for the rooms, it is hit
or miss.

There are several things that can be done

1. Restrict the airflow to the cooler bedroom so that a larger fraction
of the cool air from the upstairs A/C goes to the two warmer rooms. AC
supply houses sell inline adjustable baffles that can easily be inserted
into a AC duct to restrict flow on a branch.

2. Run new, larger diameter, insulated ducting to the two warmer rooms.

3. Get a higher CFM fan for the upstairs A/C.

4. Put more insulation under the floors of the bedrooms over the
garage. Remember that the cool bedroom has an uninsulated floor and
relies on the downstairs A/C to take care of any heat from below.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Sat, 27 May 2006 13:00:46 GMT, Robert Gammon
wrote:

Mark Savoy wrote:
[...]

5. Move any furniture that's blocking the supply or return flow
in the warmer room. Take the grill off entirely.

balancing wheels? Bernard Arnest Metalworking 5 April 29th 06 03:37 AM
??? Balancing radiators on CH system*** fredbloggstwo UK diy 1 March 13th 06 07:52 PM
Balancing nigelb UK diy 2 November 21st 05 10:34 PM
Balancing a one-piece wooden garage door The Guy Home Repair 9 December 21st 04 01:28 AM
balancing radiators - is my boiler too small? Simon Langford UK diy 30 October 12th 04 04:48 PM