Cleaning off old motar from brick

Old May 4th 06, 05:07 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cleaning off old motar from brick

I need to rebuild a retaining wall, I broke down most of the wall. I
need to clean off the existing mortar from the brick.

I read many articles saying how dangerous muramic acid is. I saw
phosphoric acid isn't as dangerous. Has anyone tried phosphroic on
morter? Is there anything else to use?

Old May 4th 06, 07:33 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to rebuild a retaining wall, I broke down most of the wall. I
need to clean off the existing mortar from the brick.

I read many articles saying how dangerous muramic acid is. I saw
phosphoric acid isn't as dangerous. Has anyone tried phosphroic on
morter? Is there anything else to use?

Go and get a 3 or 4 inch cold chisel, a 2-lb hammer, and a masons hammer,
and a pair of leather gloves. Thick mortar is best removed mechanically. I
probably cleaned 30 or 40 thousand brick that way one summer as a kid. Once
you get the hang of it, it goes pretty fast. Often, you don't even need
tools- just strike the bricks together at the right angle, and the mortar
falls off. Muratic acid is for after you build the new wall, to wash down
the face and get off the smeared mortar. Be aware that you will need more
brick than came out of the old wall, since a decent percentage will break.

aem sends...

Old May 4th 06, 01:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair

ameijers wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Well said. I agree totally. I might even suggest that you can often
skip the muratic acid step, depending on the look you need.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old May 16th 06, 03:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

followup...

I found out that old mortar is loosed by rain (water). Spent two
unpleasent weekends chipping away and scraping off moter. Then it
rained and the remaining bricks got soaked. The bricks are clay which
doesn't absorb water but the mortar absorbs soaks it up. The mortar
crumbles off.
Weekend 1 (2 days)-60 bricks
Weekend 2 (2 days)-40 bricks
Last saturday-120 bricks (after the rain)

Also,a sharp wood chisel was useful to clean the brick (had to sharpen
it several times), but it was useful to get under the mortar.

Old May 16th 06, 05:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair