Posted to alt.home.repair
Bedford Guy

Default AC Disconnect

I have a 26 year old, rusted to hell, dog ugly, and likely dangerous Federal
Pacific AC disconnect with a non-fused 60A breaker.

What I would like to do is replace this disconnect panel with 100 amp 6
space exterior panel with a 60A breaker for the AC, and use one of the other
spaces for a 20A GFI protected 110 circuit.

Anyone see a problem with my idea?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Travis Jordan

Bedford Guy wrote:
Anyone see a problem with my idea?

What's the service capacity?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bedford Guy

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
Bedford Guy wrote:
Anyone see a problem with my idea?

What's the service capacity?

200A

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stretch

Guy Wrote:
"I have a 26 year old, rusted to hell, dog ugly, and likely dangerous
Federal
Pacific AC disconnect with a non-fused 60A breaker.

What I would like to do is replace this disconnect panel with 100 amp 6

space exterior panel with a 60A breaker for the AC, and use one of the
other
spaces for a 20A GFI protected 110 circuit.

Anyone see a problem with my idea? "

Guy,

Do you have a true neutral? You should not use the ground as a neutral.
How big is the wire that currently feeds the disconnect?

Stretch

Posted to alt.home.repair

if your main panel is federal pacific stab lock breakers!!!]

ATTENTION MAJOR HAZARD GET RID OF THAT FIRE HAZARD NOW!

just google federal pacific, the breakers are terrible, and the company
is out of business...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Good point. I've seen a lot of outside unit disconnects wired with only two
wires and a ground.

"Stretch" wrote in message
ups.com...
Guy Wrote:
"I have a 26 year old, rusted to hell, dog ugly, and likely dangerous
Federal
Pacific AC disconnect with a non-fused 60A breaker.

What I would like to do is replace this disconnect panel with 100 amp 6

space exterior panel with a 60A breaker for the AC, and use one of the
other
spaces for a 20A GFI protected 110 circuit.

Anyone see a problem with my idea? "

Guy,

Do you have a true neutral? You should not use the ground as a neutral.
How big is the wire that currently feeds the disconnect?

Stretch

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

It's fine if you have a four wire feeder large enough to feed both the AC
and your additional circuit.

"Bedford Guy" wrote in message
I have a 26 year old, rusted to hell, dog ugly, and likely dangerous
Federal Pacific AC disconnect with a non-fused 60A breaker.

What I would like to do is replace this disconnect panel with 100 amp 6
space exterior panel with a 60A breaker for the AC, and use one of the
other spaces for a 20A GFI protected 110 circuit.

Anyone see a problem with my idea?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like the evaporator coil is leaking...so the system is
completely shot and you need to buy a new heatpump. ~:

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

You're probably right. Which coil do you think is leaking, the inside
evaporator coil or the outside evaporator coil?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Sounds like the evaporator coil is leaking...so the system is
completely shot and you need to buy a new heatpump. ~:

Posted to alt.home.repair
volts500

Bedford Guy wrote:
I have a 26 year old, rusted to hell, dog ugly, and likely dangerous Federal
Pacific AC disconnect with a non-fused 60A breaker.

What I would like to do is replace this disconnect panel with 100 amp 6
space exterior panel with a 60A breaker for the AC, and use one of the other
spaces for a 20A GFI protected 110 circuit.

Anyone see a problem with my idea?

That circuit is dedicated for the AC condensing unit only. If you look
closely at the wire inside the disconnect you'll probably find a 10-2
with ground. As others have stated a neutral is not present for the
110. If you look in the main service panel you'll also probably find
that it's on a 30 amp breaker. The 60 amp disconnect is a disconnect
only. It's a common installation. In other words, you can't do what
you propose. One solution would be to come out the back of an interior
outlet in that area or, preferably, run a new circuit.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bedford Guy

"volts500" wrote in message
ups.com...

Bedford Guy wrote:
[...]

Reply to cover all the questions........
The main service panel was a 200A FPE with Stab-Lok's when we bought the
home. It was instantly
replaced with a 200A Square D Homeline series, BEFORE I would sleep in the
house. Replaced the meter
enclosure at the same time.

I have also gone thru the entire house and swapped out all of the switches,
receptacles, lighting fixtures,
cleaned all connections, and used fresh wire nuts. The available junctions
boxes have also been opened,
inspected, and fresh connections made. All receptacles now test correctly
for proper ground and neutral.

Oddly enough.... This entire home is wired with 12 ga., not a strand of 14
to be found. Someone must have
had a stack of 12 ga. in stock, or the original builder was a bit twisted.
They went to a lot of extra work as
a result. (no back stab connections)

The wire to the AC disconnect is in fact 10-2 with ground, no neutral.....
I'll just replace the disconnect, and waterproof conduit to the unit.
Going for a new circuit for the 110.
Thank y'all