Posted to alt.home.repair
pstock

Default repositioning the regulator under a gas cooktop

I am trying to retrofit an older (well, not that old, I would say less
than 10 years old) gas cooktop in place of an electric.

With the guidance of my gas fitters who ran the line into the house, I
have successfully installed the series of elbows and nipples needed to
make the connection and have tested the unit away from the counter top
(it works well.)

The problem is, the regulator is currently installed in a clumsy
position. It sticks straight down about 6 inches and in place it would
block an exisiting drawer.

I think I see enough space that if I could remove the regulator and
install an 90deg elbow and replace the regulator on the horizontal, I
wouldn't have to lose the drawer.

Can anyone tell me if I should be able to remove and reorient the
regulator? I gave it a few tugs with a pipe wrench but stopped when it
became apparent that the threaded connection was stiff and wasn't going
to disconnect easily. I don't want to force it if it was factory
installed that way and shouldn't be tampered with.

If one can normally remove and reorient a regulator (it appears to be
attached to a threaded pipe leading into the box), how should I best I
loosen it? Would a shot with a blowtorch be safe to loosen the threaded
connection?

thanks
Peter

(hmmm, I have a photo of all this but I can't figure out if and how I
can attach a photo to this post. Let me know if you need to see it and
I can e-mail it to you.)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

pstock wrote:
[...]

Should be fine to relocate it.
Use 2 wrenches to loosen. Apply the wrenches so that the
forces don't go *through* the regulator casting
as it may distort. Never use heat on such a device
as there are sensitive rubber parts inside.

(No posting of pics allowed.)

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

[from buffalo ny] check for spiderwebs blocking openings if this unit
has been in storage. electronic spark ignition is cheaper on fuel than
pilot lights.

Posted to alt.home.repair
pstock

got it sorted. thank you all. in the end I took the metal casing off
the unit which revealed a stainless steel tube ending in that threaded
bit connecting to the regulator. Having eliminated the unknown I felt
comfortable holding that with a wrench (plus the fact that I could now
access it) and applying enough force to remove the regulator.
I will hook it all back up this weekend.
Thanks
Peter