Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refrigerator Repair Troubleshooting

I found a few previous postings with somewhat similar problems, but
none entirely the same as mine...

35 year old GE refrig, compressor not running.
When I plug it in, the compressor fan starts. Then I hear a click.
Then a few minutes later I hear another click.

The compressor doesn't seem to start at all. I tried to get to the
relay to check the voltage, but the wires are so old they cracked and
broke. (Very difficult to access.)

If I know for sure it is the compressor, I will buy a new fridge. But,
if there is a chance it could be fixed with a hard start kit, I could
try to replace the broken wires.

Lastly, fridge is a 35 year old garage fridge. Considering the
possibility it is the relay and/or cap (which is a $30 fix) would I
still be better off buying a $400 cheap new fridge from an
energy-efficiency perspective?

Thanks,
Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

If the wire is unsafe why would you WANT to fix it?
Are you looking for a fire?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Boettcher

On 3 Dec 2005 15:35:11 -0800, "
wrote:

[...]

I can't help you with the trouble shooting, however, my opinion if it
is a relatively cheap fix, your 35 year old fridge is probably
superior to any cheap fridge you can by today. Particularly if it has
a porcelainized steel interior shell.

Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

???
I said the wires were brittle from being old and cracked when I tried
to move them to get to the relay. SO, at this point I cannot plug it
in to check voltage across the compressor because the wires are now
broken. Thus, I need to decide whether to go to the trouble of
replacing these wires, just to test the compressor. Or, installing a
hard start kit, which will have NEW wires on it and hoping that fixes
the problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, it does have the procelainized interior. Some of the trim inside
the doors and at the corner is plastic

Posted to alt.home.repair
TURTLE

This is Turtle

Me Having the test equipment and a second hand hard start kit with
capasitor built into it. i would test iot. Now you buying a hard start
and testing at a cost of $30.00 and then looking at a New Refrigerator
for $400.00. This is a judgement call and if you was looking at it as
nothing but a item of your home and no manly thing about you you like
to fix things yourself. Replace the refrigerator but if your a fix it
yourselfer like most men are. Buy you a Hard start kit and try it out
or go for it.

Here is a Hard Start Kit I like to keep around to test with on any type
refrigerator or freezer in the future. i would get the SUPCO / 3 in 1
Start Kit / 115 volts / Model # RC0410 or www.supco.com to pick one.
This thing replaces the over load, start relay, and the capasitor. If
it will run it will run on this thing. Now if you prove the compressor
is bad , You can still keep it in the future and test any refrigerator
or freezer that you or the friend has to test to see if it is the
compressor or the hard start.

TURTLE

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

I'd suggest the hard start kit. As Tutrle wrote, Supco makes a good one.
Gemline also makes a hard start kit.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

wrote in message
oups.com...
???
I said the wires were brittle from being old and cracked when I tried
to move them to get to the relay. SO, at this point I cannot plug it
in to check voltage across the compressor because the wires are now
broken. Thus, I need to decide whether to go to the trouble of
replacing these wires, just to test the compressor. Or, installing a
hard start kit, which will have NEW wires on it and hoping that fixes
the problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PaPaPeng

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 17:50:04 -0600, Frank Boettcher
wrote:

I can't help you with the trouble shooting, however, my opinion if it
is a relatively cheap fix, your 35 year old fridge is probably
superior to any cheap fridge you can by today. Particularly if it has
a porcelainized steel interior shell.

The compressor is a very simple and foolproof electromechanical
device. Other than for refrigerant depletion (rechargeable) it should
last forever. In your case just replace the power cable and clean the
relay mechanism. You should be able to unclip the relay cover to
expose the relay parts. Clean with varsol. Do not use alcohol as that
will dissolve the shellac coating on the wire electromagnetic coil.
If this fix doesn't work just junk the fridge. Its not worth spending
the money and time on it.