Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refrigerator Repair Troubleshooting

I found a few previous postings with somewhat similar problems, but
none entirely the same as mine...

35 year old GE refrig, compressor not running.
When I plug it in, the compressor fan starts. Then I hear a click.
Then a few minutes later I hear another click.

The compressor doesn't seem to start at all. I tried to get to the
relay to check the voltage, but the wires are so old they cracked and
broke. (Very difficult to access.)

If I know for sure it is the compressor, I will buy a new fridge. But,
if there is a chance it could be fixed with a hard start kit, I could
try to replace the broken wires.

Lastly, fridge is a 35 year old garage fridge. Considering the
possibility it is the relay and/or cap (which is a $30 fix) would I
still be better off buying a $400 cheap new fridge from an
energy-efficiency perspective?

Thanks,
Dennis