JJ

Default Thermoststat setback and slab coil heat?

My house has a 15x15 addition with southern exposure, vaulted ceiling. The
addition sits on a concrete slab that has coils running through it for heat.
They are connected to a propane gas boiler which also heats the hot water.
The rest of the house is gas-forced air. The addition can be closed off at
night and is the way I am currently running things.
My question: Am I saving any energy by setting back the thermostat for that
room at night and then reheating the slab in the morning? Round numbers,
lets say the room is kept at 62 from 11pm until 9am. At that point, it is
brought up in two steps, reaching 70 degrees by noon. 11pm back to 62.

I'm afraid I might have slept through the courses on thems, mass, btu etc..

Thanks,

Goedjn

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 18:45:41 GMT, "JJ" wrote:

My house has a 15x15 addition with southern exposure, vaulted ceiling. The
addition sits on a concrete slab that has coils running through it for heat.
They are connected to a propane gas boiler which also heats the hot water.
The rest of the house is gas-forced air. The addition can be closed off at
night and is the way I am currently running things.
My question: Am I saving any energy by setting back the thermostat for that
room at night and then reheating the slab in the morning? Round numbers,
lets say the room is kept at 62 from 11pm until 9am. At that point, it is
brought up in two steps, reaching 70 degrees by noon. 11pm back to 62.

I'm afraid I might have slept through the courses on thems, mass, btu etc..

Yes. Possibly not very much, but 0 savings is the lower limit.
SQLit

"JJ" wrote in message
news
[...]

Your using your hot water heater for heating the slab? Sounds like a cheesy
method,IMO.

Not knowing the ambient outside air, the insulation and a bunch of other
factors it seems to me that anything here is a wild assed guess.

Guessing you might try waiting another hour or two in the morning for the
sun to help out since this is a southern facing exposure. Of course if your
having a blizzard that day, the sun will not help much. Heating a slab is
slow business. Let alone the room.
Keeping the door closed at night certainly will help a bit.

Goedjn

My question: Am I saving any energy by setting back the thermostat for

that

Not knowing the ambient outside air, the insulation and a bunch of other
factors it seems to me that anything here is a wild assed guess.

Guessing you might try waiting another hour or two in the morning for the
sun to help out since this is a southern facing exposure. Of course if your
having a blizzard that day, the sun will not help much. Heating a slab is
slow business. Let alone the room.
Keeping the door closed at night certainly will help a bit.

Last time we had this sort of discussion, this was the
consensus. (It was water-heaters, that time)

You don't have to guess. The amount of heat the slab and the
room pump into the rest of the universe is proportional to how
warm they are. If they are cooler, they will pump less
heat into the universe. It will *NEVER* take more energy
to heat the slab back up than it would have taken to
keep it warm in the same environment in which it cooled.

So unless you're using a more expensive heat-source to
re-heat than you were to keep it warm*, it is always
cheaper to set-back.

--Goedjn

*(this is the gotcha for electric heating, if your
electric co has variable prices by time-of-day)

JJ

Your using your hot water heater for heating the slab? Sounds like a cheesy
method,IMO.

Why can't people read and comprehend simple facts?

"....propane gas boiler which also heats the hot water"

"SQLit" wrote in message

"JJ" wrote in message
news
[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

JJ wrote:
Your using your hot water heater for heating the slab? Sounds like a
cheesy
method,IMO.

Why can't people read and comprehend simple facts?

"....propane gas boiler which also heats the hot water"

No, he said he has a 15' furnace that forces air into the slab when it get
up to 62 degrees at noon time. He saves energy by sleeping from 11 PM to 9
AM. I no I red it write.

"SQLit" wrote in message

"JJ" wrote in message
news
My house has a 15x15 addition with southern exposure, vaulted
ceiling. The addition sits on a concrete slab that has coils
running through it for heat. They are connected to a propane gas
boiler which also heats the hot water.
The rest of the house is gas-forced air. The addition can be
closed off at night and is the way I am currently running things.
My question: Am I saving any energy by setting back the thermostat
for that room at night and then reheating the slab in the morning? Round
numbers, lets say the room is kept at 62 from 11pm until 9am.
At that point, it is
brought up in two steps, reaching 70 degrees by noon. 11pm back to
62. I'm afraid I might have slept through the courses on thems, mass,
btu etc..

JJ

Exactly, Ed. Now you comprehend!

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
JJ wrote:
Your using your hot water heater for heating the slab? Sounds like a
cheesy
method,IMO.

Why can't people read and comprehend simple facts?

"....propane gas boiler which also heats the hot water"

No, he said he has a 15' furnace that forces air into the slab when it get
up to 62 degrees at noon time. He saves energy by sleeping from 11 PM to
9 AM. I no I red it write.

"SQLit" wrote in message

news My house has a 15x15 addition with southern exposure, vaulted