Sherman

Default Razor Strap Care

Anyone have any experience with care and use of a razor strap?

I want to bring one into my kitchen and finish off my sharpening
process with an inherited strap. The strap has been in a drawer for
40 years.

dadiOH

Sherman wrote:
Anyone have any experience with care and use of a razor strap?

I want to bring one into my kitchen and finish off my sharpening
process with an inherited strap. The strap has been in a drawer for
40 years.

I've been using straight razors for 50 years, my strop is about that
old. No special care, just charge it with red rouge. If yours also has
a coarser, linen/canvas strop (most do) charge it with a coarser
compound. There are special pastes available but I've never used
anything other than the above. As far as that goes, you can strop with
nothing on the strop.

To use, one rests the razor on the strop with blade and spine touching
the strop, take a stroke (spine foremost), turn to other side, take
another stroke. Repeat as necessary.

As you can see, the spine of the razor keeps the edge at a constant
angle. You don't have a spine to do that on a knife. Even if there
were such, I can't see stropping a kitchen knife...the purpose of
stropping isn't so much to sharpen (although the rouge will slightly)
but to form the edge and a razor's edge is wildly different from a
knife's edge..

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Bowl care robo hippy Woodturning 1 July 25th 05 07:19 PM
Which slate care product??? Martin UK diy 6 March 20th 04 12:44 PM