Luanne O'Loughlin

Default Range, oven problem

We have a 9 year old Jenn Air (Maytag) white range with a malfunctioning
oven. The bar lights, but the oven takes forever to heat up. In two hours
last night we were able to achieve 400F, but never above. (It made for slow,
undercooked pizza).

What part is the cause of this problem?

Being in the DC area (where labor costs are high), I'm guessing that this
repair could be $300. I'm not sure I want to spend that on a 9 year old
stove. The burners work fine, but some of the plastics are yellowing and
there are scrapes and dents from heavy use.

Insights and ideas?

Thanks,

Luanne

Dumbo

Try this for help:
http://www.repairclinic.com/

Appliance Repair Aid

Hi,

Luanne O'Loughlin wrote:
We have a 9 year old Jenn Air (Maytag) white range with a malfunctioning
oven. The bar lights, but the oven takes forever to heat up. In two hours
last night we were able to achieve 400F, but never above. (It made for slow,
undercooked pizza).

Gas range?
Model#?
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html Some model# helps.

What part is the cause of this problem?

Being in the DC area (where labor costs are high), I'm guessing that this
repair could be $300. I'm not sure I want to spend that on a 9 year old
stove. The burners work fine, but some of the plastics are yellowing and
there are scrapes and dents from heavy use.

Insights and ideas?

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Luanne

Yes, it is a gas range. Model number is FCG20500W, purchased Oct 1996.

Tonight it seemed to heat within a reasonable amount of time to 350.
Then when the oven door opened and the temp dropped, it couldn't regain
temp. I turned it off and back on again, and waited 45 minutes. The
temp never topped 225.

sigh

Luanne

Appliance Repair Aid wrote:
Hi,

Luanne O'Loughlin wrote:
We have a 9 year old Jenn Air (Maytag) white range with a malfunctioning
oven. The bar lights, but the oven takes forever to heat up. In two hours
last night we were able to achieve 400F, but never above. (It made for slow,
undercooked pizza).

Gas range?
Model#?
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html Some model# helps.

What part is the cause of this problem?

Being in the DC area (where labor costs are high), I'm guessing that this
repair could be $300. I'm not sure I want to spend that on a 9 year old
stove. The burners work fine, but some of the plastics are yellowing and
there are scrapes and dents from heavy use.

Insights and ideas?

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Appliance Repair Aid

Hi,

Check the oven hot surface ignitor....they CAN glow and still be bad.

They can weaken and not operate properly.

http://www.applianceaid.com/gas.html#glow

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=3377
Manufacturer specified oven and broiler igniter kit, replaces short and
longer igniters in many instances.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/