Storing extra shingles?

Old July 9th 05, 01:12 AM
Ron Hardin

Default Storing extra shingles?

3 bundles of 22 extra shingles the roofer left me say

Do Not Double Stack

1. This must mean the pallet, not the bundle itself?

2. Are the good and bad places to store the shingles in case
they're ever needed? eg. basement, garage floor, over garage
ceiling if I can hump them up a ladder thru a trapdoor?

--
Ron Hardin

Old July 9th 05, 02:28 AM
Joseph Meehan

Ron Hardin wrote:
3 bundles of 22 extra shingles the roofer left me say

Do Not Double Stack

1. This must mean the pallet, not the bundle itself?

I would believe so.

2. Are the good and bad places to store the shingles in case
they're ever needed? eg. basement, garage floor, over garage
ceiling if I can hump them up a ladder thru a trapdoor?

I put mine in the basement craw space along with extra tile etc.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old July 9th 05, 03:56 AM
Colbyt

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
3 bundles of 22 extra shingles the roofer left me say

Do Not Double Stack

1. This must mean the pallet, not the bundle itself?

2. Are the good and bad places to store the shingles in case
they're ever needed? eg. basement, garage floor, over garage
ceiling if I can hump them up a ladder thru a trapdoor?

--
Ron Hardin

Guess it means the pallet since there are an bunch of them to a pallet.

Store them anywhere they are dry, evenly supported and laying flat. If
across rafters over the garage ceiling lay a scrap board across the rafter
for them to lay on.

Colbyt

Old July 10th 05, 06:42 PM
twfsa

Over time the shingles on the roof fade, so the ones you store won't match
anyway!

Tom
"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...

Ron Hardin wrote:
3 bundles of 22 extra shingles the roofer left me say

Do Not Double Stack

1. This must mean the pallet, not the bundle itself?

2. Are the good and bad places to store the shingles in case
they're ever needed? eg. basement, garage floor, over garage
ceiling if I can hump them up a ladder thru a trapdoor?

--
Ron Hardin

I 'think' that it says on the bundles how many bundles high, not sure
now.

Just did a roofing job this spring. Used some leftovers from a job 20
years ago. I had them stored flat on a concrete floor in a shed built
into a hill. I am sure there was a moisture problem as they were right
back against the hill foundation. No problem, no sign of
deterioration. From that I would say store flat and someplace cool. I
wouldn't put them in an attic or ceiling due to the heat problem. They
could seal to themselves. Two bundles of my new shingles had done just
that.

Harry K

Old July 10th 05, 09:12 PM
[email protected]

1. Probably.
2. Store them outside, but protected from moisture. That way, their
color might fade almost as much as the shingles on the roof. So when
you need to replace a few, you won't have an area of a different color.

Old July 11th 05, 04:18 AM
Harry K

twfsa wrote:
Over time the shingles on the roof fade, so the ones you store won't match
anyway!

Tom
"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...

twfsa wrote:
Over time the shingles on the roof fade, so the ones you store won't match
anyway!

True but they are still useable. I used basically white shingles with
my 'dual brown' new ones. Looks great! How? Because I used the old
white ones for the starter strips. Saved buying a square of the new
ones. Common practice up here. There are always a few bundles left
over from roofing jobs. Also used for sheds, for weed control (haven't
done that myself), etc. No point in throwing away useable material.

Harry K