James

Default Hot Water Heater

Changing a couple of faucet washers yesterday. Cut the water off and removed
the washers to take to Lowe$ for comparision. Planning on being gone for a
couple hours so I filpped the water heater breaker off just in case sine the
water was off. Got back, fixed the faucet, water and breaker back on. Got up
this am and no hot water! Flipped the breaker a couple of times and was
preparing to remove the elements and noticed that the thing was working
again.

Question is: Do these things have some sort of a protection circuit or do I
have a flaky breaker?

RBM

Since the breaker was the only thing you touched to shut the heater off, I'd
suspect a bad breaker or bad connection either between the breaker and the
panel buss or the wires on the breaker
"James" wrote in message
.. .
Changing a couple of faucet washers yesterday. Cut the water off and
removed the washers to take to Lowe$ for comparision. Planning on being
gone for a couple hours so I filpped the water heater breaker off just in
case sine the water was off. Got back, fixed the faucet, water and breaker
back on. Got up this am and no hot water! Flipped the breaker a couple of
times and was preparing to remove the elements and noticed that the thing
was working again.

Question is: Do these things have some sort of a protection circuit or do
I have a flaky breaker?

Stormin Mormon

I can't tell from here. However, my guess would be the breaker.

Why are you heating hot water? Seems like if it's already hot, you wouldn't
need to heat it.

In my trailer, I've got a gas fired water heater. I don't need a hot water
heater.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"James" wrote in message
.. .
Changing a couple of faucet washers yesterday. Cut the water off and removed
the washers to take to Lowe$ for comparision. Planning on being gone for a
couple hours so I filpped the water heater breaker off just in case sine the
water was off. Got back, fixed the faucet, water and breaker back on. Got up
this am and no hot water! Flipped the breaker a couple of times and was
preparing to remove the elements and noticed that the thing was working
again.

Question is: Do these things have some sort of a protection circuit or do I
have a flaky breaker?

Pop

"Stormin Mormon"
wrote in message
news
I can't tell from here. However, my guess would be the
breaker.

Why are you heating hot water? Seems like if it's
already hot, you wouldn't
need to heat it.

In my trailer, I've got a gas fired water heater. I
don't need a hot water
heater.

Yes, you do need a "hot" water heater. Or, do you let
the water completely cool to its source temp before you
turn the heater back on?

Get real!

HeatMan

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Since the breaker was the only thing you touched to shut the heater off,

I'd
suspect a bad breaker or bad connection either between the breaker and the
panel buss or the wires on the breaker

It could also be the reset in with the the tank controls....

"James" wrote in message
.. .
Changing a couple of faucet washers yesterday. Cut the water off and
removed the washers to take to Lowe$ for comparision. Planning on being
gone for a couple hours so I filpped the water heater breaker off just

in
case sine the water was off. Got back, fixed the faucet, water and

breaker
back on. Got up this am and no hot water! Flipped the breaker a couple

of
times and was preparing to remove the elements and noticed that the

thing
was working again.

Question is: Do these things have some sort of a protection circuit or

do
I have a flaky breaker?

toller

Why are you heating hot water? Seems like if it's already hot, you
wouldn't
need to heat it.

Every time you say that, it just gets dumber.
Water heaters are popularly called "hot water heaters"; presumably because
they they make hot water, much like a seltzer bottle makes seltzer.

Grow up, get over it, whatever.

Rich

"toller" wrote in message

Why are you heating hot water? Seems like if it's already hot, you
wouldn't
need to heat it.

Every time you say that, it just gets dumber.
Water heaters are popularly called "hot water heaters"; presumably because
they they make hot water, much like a seltzer bottle makes seltzer.

Grow up, get over it, whatever.

Couldn't agree more, poor guy just reads these posts until someone says hot
water heater then his little heart goes a flutter and his fingers bang out
the same thing that George Carlin sp did in the '70's...

He has another album called a place for my stuff maybe he could move on to
that one?

SQLit

"James" wrote in message
.. .
Changing a couple of faucet washers yesterday. Cut the water off and

removed
the washers to take to Lowe$ for comparision. Planning on being gone for a
couple hours so I filpped the water heater breaker off just in case sine

the
water was off. Got back, fixed the faucet, water and breaker back on. Got

up
this am and no hot water! Flipped the breaker a couple of times and was
preparing to remove the elements and noticed that the thing was working
again.

Question is: Do these things have some sort of a protection circuit or do

have a flaky breaker?

Or is it possible that the water heater cooled off enough that it took some
time to reheat after the breaker was turned on? Assuming this is not a
demand heater?

Put a voltage meter on the breaker and turn it off and on. If there is
voltage when there is suppose to be then chalk it up to magic.

Jeff Wisnia

James wrote:
Changing a couple of faucet washers yesterday. Cut the water off and removed
the washers to take to Lowe$ for comparision. Planning on being gone for a
couple hours so I filpped the water heater breaker off just in case sine the
water was off. Got back, fixed the faucet, water and breaker back on. Got up
this am and no hot water! Flipped the breaker a couple of times and was
preparing to remove the elements and noticed that the thing was working
again.

Question is: Do these things have some sort of a protection circuit or do I
have a flaky breaker?

Remember this:

"Troubles which go away by themselves usually come back by themselves."

If the problem does come back, and you have a voltmeter or test lamp and
the requisite knowledge and skill to avoid electrocuting yourself, take
the access cover off the water heater, and see if there's voltage on the
power input terminals, from line to line and from each line to neutral,
before you go near the breaker panel.

That'll bifurcate the problem and tell you where to look next.

Personally, I'd vote for a "touchy" breaker or its connections.

It may have been unecessary to kill power to the water heater for that
short time. I understand you were thinking about the possibility of the
heater getting emptied and the elements burning out because the water
was shut off and someone started opening faucets.

Is your plumbing setup such that the locations of the water heater and
faucets or appliances could let that occur?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

TURTLE

"James" wrote in message
.. .
Changing a couple of faucet washers yesterday. Cut the water off and removed
the washers to take to Lowe$ for comparision. Planning on being gone for a
couple hours so I filpped the water heater breaker off just in case sine the
water was off. Got back, fixed the faucet, water and breaker back on. Got up
this am and no hot water! Flipped the breaker a couple of times and was
preparing to remove the elements and noticed that the thing was working again.

Question is: Do these things have some sort of a protection circuit or do I
have a flaky breaker?

This is turtle.

Flakey Breaker or Flakey Tank Thermostat [S], but 99% thinking Breaker.

I have seen breakers not want to reset on the first try and will take 3 or 4
flips to get it to take.

Now here is what I've seen to try to test your breaker for this. Turn the
breaker off for about 30 minutes and then come back and push the breaker to on
real slow and don't flip it on. They will usely will do it again if you don't
flip the break fast back on. Just push it verey slowly to back on possion.

TURTLE

James

Been working fine all day. Neglected to mention it is not yet a year old.
Put a voltmeter on the contacts and am getting good readings. Haven't
touched the breaker yet - next time I do it will be to replace it. I do seem
to remember hearing a "what was that" when I flipped it back on the first
time.

I know it is not necessary to shut the heater down unless the tank can drain
but I do. My first lesson when I moved away from home - the landlord handed
me the key and said "DO NOT turn on the power until I can get down there and
turn on the water"....He really should have explained that better

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
James wrote:
[...]

Oscar_Lives

"James" wrote in message
.. .
Changing a couple of faucet washers yesterday. Cut the water off and
removed the washers to take to Lowe$ for comparision. Planning on being
gone for a couple hours so I filpped the water heater breaker off just in
case sine the water was off. Got back, fixed the faucet, water and breaker
back on. Got up this am and no hot water! Flipped the breaker a couple of
times and was preparing to remove the elements and noticed that the thing
was working again.

Question is: Do these things have some sort of a protection circuit or do
I have a flaky breaker?

Why do you want to heat hot water?

HeatMan

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
It could be possible, but the hi temp cutout on a water heater has to be
manually reset, he only flipped the breaker and never touched the tank

True. But, there is no teling what theose pesky little electrons may have
done. I've seen it before where the reset tripped when power was turned
back on....

cowboy

no such thing as a hot water heater. You do not heat hot
water, but you do heat water with a water heater

hey dufus, that joke was old 20 years ago when George Carlin popularized it!