ameijers

Default Best solution for putting dirt against a vinyl sided wood building.

"Paul" wrote in message
I would like a raised flower bed against a new building that is slightly
downhill.
Once sided I would like rocks and dirt up the siding about 12 inches.
Now putting something in front of the siding is possible but I would

rather seal
behind the siding right into the ground to keep water away.
The actual wood of the building right now is above the ground about 6

inches
with a slab underneath but the slab is back 4 inches because the building

is
cantilevered past the slab edge.
So in effect there is a space under the building 6 inches high by four

inches
deep that I would like to keep empty to prevent water getting on top of

the slab
or into the wood.
All the wood under the overhang is heavily tarred as is the slab.

I'm not explaining this very well but I think I need a waterproof long

lasting
membrane to go from the ground up the wall about 12 inches behind the

siding
just to be safe.
I was considering that rubber ice/water proof roof membrane because I have

half a roll.

Any thoughts

Yeah- Bad Idea. You never want to have wet dirt next to, and higher, than
wood. Even if the siding and roof membrane never fails, you are asking for
condenstion to build up in the dead space, not to mention all the creepy
crawly things that will find themselves a home in there. Can you say Termite
Path? There should ALWAYS be foundation showing above the dirt line. If you
want a planting bed there, build a raised planter, but hold it back from
wall a couple feet or more, to keep building wall dry. You can put down
landscape fabric and gravel between to avoid having to mow there. If I am
understanding your post correctly, you didn't make the stub walls on the
foundation tall enough to clear your desired finish grade. This a detached
garage or something?

aem sends....

aem sends...

Joseph Meehan

Paul wrote:
[...]

have a half a roll.

Any thoughts

Bad idea. Build a four sided box maybe a foot away from the house so
there will be some air circulation. Better yet use movable wood containers.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia's Muire duit

Colbyt

[...]