Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

"Normal" compact fluorescent bulb in 3-way lamp safe?

Old August 24th 04, 06:48 PM
Duffy Tweedy

Default "Normal" compact fluorescent bulb in 3-way lamp safe?

I've seen some mixed messages, even from labs and government sites,
about whether "normal" CFL bulbs can be used safely in 3-way lamps.
Some say flatly Yes, others No. But I haven't seen much about this in
general. Can someone point me to a definitive site, or answer this
one? The reason I'd like to be able to use regular CFLs is, of
course, lower cost. But unless I can determine finally that it is
safe to do so, obviously I'll have to assume otherwise and not use
them. Thanks.
--Duffy Tweedy
Old August 24th 04, 06:51 PM
Rich Greenberg

Duffy Tweedy wrote:
I've seen some mixed messages, even from labs and government sites,
about whether "normal" CFL bulbs can be used safely in 3-way lamps.
Some say flatly Yes, others No. But I haven't seen much about this in
general. Can someone point me to a definitive site, or answer this
one? The reason I'd like to be able to use regular CFLs is, of
course, lower cost. But unless I can determine finally that it is
safe to do so, obviously I'll have to assume otherwise and not use
them. Thanks.

Should work fine except the switch will work "funny", the same funny as
if you put a standard bulb in a 3 way lamp.

--
Rich Greenberg N6LRT Marietta, GA, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 770 321 6507
Eastern time zone. I speak for myself & my dogs only. VM'er since CP-67
Old August 24th 04, 07:06 PM

On 24 Aug 2004 09:48:30 -0700, someone wrote:

I've seen some mixed messages, even from labs and government sites,
about whether "normal" CFL bulbs can be used safely in 3-way lamps.

What's the danger? Seriously. The 3-way switch doesn't change the
voltage, it just steers the power to one, the other, or both of two
"hot" contacts on the bulb (and there is a common neutral).

One filament is "low", the second is "medium", and both together is
"high". What is the danger to the bulb? Now, I'm not sure if it ends
up working "off-on-off-on" or "off-off-on-on" and I suppose this could
be a danger to a person putting their finger in the socket thinking it
is a regualr bulb that is really "off". But that's not because its a
CFL.

???

-v.

Old August 24th 04, 10:08 PM
Travis Jordan

Duffy Tweedy wrote:
I've seen some mixed messages, even from labs and government sites,
about whether "normal" CFL bulbs can be used safely in 3-way lamps.
Some say flatly Yes, others No. But I haven't seen much about this in
general. Can someone point me to a definitive site, or answer this
one? The reason I'd like to be able to use regular CFLs is, of
course, lower cost. But unless I can determine finally that it is
safe to do so, obviously I'll have to assume otherwise and not use
them. Thanks.
--Duffy Tweedy

A CFL bulb in a standard 3-way fixture is perfectly safe.

Old August 25th 04, 04:15 AM
Harry K

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message ...
Duffy Tweedy wrote:
I've seen some mixed messages, even from labs and government sites,
about whether "normal" CFL bulbs can be used safely in 3-way lamps.
Some say flatly Yes, others No. But I haven't seen much about this in
general. Can someone point me to a definitive site, or answer this
one? The reason I'd like to be able to use regular CFLs is, of
course, lower cost. But unless I can determine finally that it is
safe to do so, obviously I'll have to assume otherwise and not use
them. Thanks.
--Duffy Tweedy

A CFL bulb in a standard 3-way fixture is perfectly safe.

Correct. It will only light at one level, that of the bulb rating.

Harry K
Old August 25th 04, 04:24 AM
Christopher Green

Duffy Tweedy wrote:
I've seen some mixed messages, even from labs and government sites,
about whether "normal" CFL bulbs can be used safely in 3-way lamps.
Some say flatly Yes, others No. But I haven't seen much about this in
general. Can someone point me to a definitive site, or answer this
one? The reason I'd like to be able to use regular CFLs is, of
course, lower cost. But unless I can determine finally that it is
safe to do so, obviously I'll have to assume otherwise and not use
them. Thanks.
--Duffy Tweedy

A CFL bulb in a standard 3-way fixture is perfectly safe.

There are also 3-way CFLs. I haven't been particularly impressed, but they do work.

--
Chris Green
Old August 26th 04, 05:06 AM
Stormin Mormon

The danger is that if the contacts on the base of the bulb are designed
differently, you could dead short the circuit.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old August 26th 04, 07:03 PM
Christopher Green

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...
The danger is that if the contacts on the base of the bulb are designed
differently, you could dead short the circuit.

No possibility: think about it. Not if the bulb were designed for a
conventional socket. Even if it shorted the two center contacts, the
only thing you would be shorting out is the two wires from the
switched side of the control, and it would switch on-on-off-off.

--
Chris Green
Old August 28th 04, 01:34 AM
Stormin Mormon

The three way has a center, a "ring" and a ground, which is the threads.

If the CF, the threads go too far in, it is possible to power the "ring"
contact, which is now touching the ground.

just thinking out loud, here.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus