Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

what is the difference between single family home and town house?

Old October 13th 06, 06:36 PM posted to misc.consumers.house

Default what is the difference between single family home and town house?

hi, folks.
what is the difference between single family home and town house?
When I do some research for housing, and the websites always ask me
what type of house I want to search,like single family home, town
house, house. What is the difference?
Thanks.

Old October 13th 06, 06:39 PM posted to misc.consumers.house

hi, folks.

www.google.com

--
Regards,

Old October 13th 06, 09:33 PM posted to misc.consumers.house

"Nick" wrote in message
oups.com...

what is the difference between single family home and town house?
When I do some research for housing, and the websites always ask me
what type of house I want to search,like single family home, town
house, house. What is the difference?

Town house is American realtor language
for the British terrace house or row house.
It is a single family house attached to both
neighbours (except for the unit at each end
of the row, which qualifies as semi-detached.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old October 13th 06, 09:45 PM posted to misc.consumers.house

Nick wrote:
hi, folks.
what is the difference between single family home and town house?
When I do some research for housing, and the websites always ask me
what type of house I want to search,like single family home, town
house, house. What is the difference?
Thanks.

A townhouse is classified by lenders as a single family attached
dwelling. It shares a wall - called a party wall - with another
dwelling on one or both sides. They can also be called a rowhouse.

The form of ownership varies. In most cases you own the lot under the
townhouse. There may also be a homeowners association. In those
cases, if membership in the association is mandatory, its considered a
planned unit development or PUD.

Some townhouses are owned as condominiums. That means you own a unit
as defined in the condo documents - typically the inside walls and
airspace - and a percentage of the common elements. In a
townshouse/condo form of ownership you typically have exclusive rights
to the land in front and back of the unit.

So when you are defining your search, you're deciding whether to look
at attached dwellings or not. Townhouses are always attached.

Hope that helps. Good luck on your search.

Old October 14th 06, 12:33 AM posted to misc.consumers.house

In "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

"Nick" wrote in message
oups.com...

what is the difference between single family home and town house?
When I do some research for housing, and the websites always ask me
what type of house I want to search,like single family home, town
house, house. What is the difference?

Town house is American realtor language
for the British terrace house or row house.

Row houses are common in the US too; Baltimore (where I grew up) is (or
used to be) famous for them. Unfortunately, the term "row house" took on
a connotation of "slum housing" a while back. Again, Baltimore can be
used as an example for that too.

I was somewhat shocked when a brand new condominium project out here in
St. Paul called itself "The Rowhouses on Snelling" [Snelling Ave., a
major thoroughfare, named after Josiah Snelling, a military officer
particularly responsible for the "pacification" of the region],
apparently counting on the fact that midwesterners weren't too familiar
with the negative image.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old October 14th 06, 01:58 PM posted to misc.consumers.house

"Don Phillipson" ) writes:
Town house is American realtor language
for the British terrace house or row house.
It is a single family house attached to both
neighbours (except for the unit at each end
of the row, which qualifies as semi-detached.)

I've always felt that calling the end unit in row housing 'semi-detached'
is incorrect.

We have quite a few true semi-detached homes here in Ottawa. Calling an
end unit row house 'semi-detached' is misleading. My opinion only.

Old October 14th 06, 02:12 PM posted to misc.consumers.house

Bert Hyman wrote:
In "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

"Nick" wrote in message
groups.com...

[...]

The general negative image may be limited to Baltimore? Not all cities
give rowhouses the "slum housing" connotation - think of Elfreth's Alley
the "oldest still residential street" or Rittenhouse Square in
Philadelphia, or some of the residential streets in downtown Annapolis,
or the brownstones (essentially rowhouses) in Brooklyn. Sure, all these
places have run-down neighborhoods with rowhouses but they also have
upscale neighborhoods with elegant rowhouses.

Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
A challenge for old house lovers Mike Mitchell UK diy 322 September 30th 04 12:29 AM
Home Depot Scorns Christian Groups Ben Siders Woodworking 63 August 26th 04 02:52 PM